ODFL | Haz Mat Enforcer

kbigdog

TB Lurker
Credits
I have been getting the haz mat enforcer manifest when my load has hazardous materials on it. It tells you what placards you should display and and seperation requirements. I like it. I always double check things, but it has been right. Everyone knows if you have a question on what placard you need and you ask 10 drivers opinions you will get 10 different answers. This tells you what you need. Im sure this is company wide. Im just wondering if anyone has found this helpful(i have) or if you may have disagreed with it.

I like it. Supervisors do not have to retake hazmat test and I often get trailers that are questionable on relays. If that manifest is in there with the proper information on it there is no question on how the trailers should be placarded.

Enforcer

Enforcer is accurate and fast.Where it really helps is freight that cannot be loaded together and mixed loads.I know who pushed this at O.D. and if he's reading this he is a SMART man.

I've had problems with it when the person typing in the information enters the wrong info, they then swear they are right because "the computer said so". Otherwise it's a great idea because we were having so many haz-mat problems this should help straighten a lot of it out.

the enforcer is great even a five year old can understand it so i cant undrestand why i still pick up misplacarded trailers and hazmat paperwork not segregated from the rest.3x last week i found mistakes

Have the computer look for Y marks in the hazmat Final manifest field. Then go directly to the enforcer program not letting supervisor complete task till hazmat fields are entered.

The problem with it as with any computer program is what's put in it. I have seen the incorrect substances entered causing more confusion. If you have been checking for haz-mat bills you will know that many are not originals (photocopies) and not clearly marked. Many times the original haz-mat column is highlighted (which it shouldn't be, only the description should be highlighted) and then when copied it comes out blacked out, if you hold it up to the light many times you will see the x in the column that is easily missed.
I have had to back a trailer to the door to have haz-mat removed from a trailer because it was something we shouldn't have been hauling in the first place.

I always thought it would be a good idea to put a monitor in break rooms maybe have passwords for drivers to arrive, dispatch, get relay arrival times, etc. and use programs like this that would be helpful. OD probably has a warehouse full of old keyboards and monitors.

R&L has something similar to your HazMat enforcer, but I don't trust it.

On the linehaul manifests there is a section telling you what placards you supposedly need, but sometimes it's wrong. Sometimes they'll give you a bulk shipment and not label it as such on the manifest. ?Therefore your only clue would be in the description of the entire shipment, would it would say 1 pc. at 2900 lbs or something.

Some of the stupider guys that work here constantly assume what the computer spits out to be right, from weights to HazMat info, and they're gonna get themselves in trouble sooner or later.

I think many drivers want to be dependent on a supervisor telling them how to placard a trailer. So they can shift the blame on management. Truth is though when you leave the gate correct placards are your responsibility. Am not sure if you have a print out from management if that shifts the blame. The ticket will probably still have your name on it and you will be responsible for it.

I noticed a lot of trailers with Haz-Mat placards with the ID number on them like you need for a bulk tank. Evidently the haz-mat enforcer software has a bit of a glitch and tells that you need the ID number when you don't on an LTL shipment.

size

I believe it depends on the size of the container the H/M is in.Over 119 gals. I think.

JIM BOB said:
I believe it depends on the size of the container the H/M is in.Over 119 gals. I think.

Also, if you have 8800 lbs or more of any ONE specific hazardous material in NON-bulk packaging, and it is the ONLY thing loaded on the trailer, then they want you to show the ID number. A full load of car batteries is one example of this.

I had one the other day and it was wrong , only half of the info from the delivery receipt.the info from the second page was not entered,so check it for yourselves.

Sling Blade said:
Also, if you have 8800 lbs or more of any ONE specific hazardous material in NON-bulk packaging, and it is the ONLY thing loaded on the trailer, then they want you to show the ID number. A full load of car batteries is one example of this.

Going from memory both are correct. With the load of car batteries as soon as another piece of freight is added to the load the number isn't necessary and that's where the program is making the error.

In many cases none of this matters if the proper placrds aren't displayed on the trailer. I just picked up a relayed trailer, all of the paper work was in the pouch and correct but the trailer was transported with no placrds and 3,000lbs of haz-mat to where I picked it up.
It's always the human error.

Beeman said:
Going from memory both are correct. With the load of car batteries as soon as another piece of freight is added to the load the number isn't necessary and that's where the program is making the error.

In many cases none of this matters if the proper placrds aren't displayed on the trailer. I just picked up a relayed trailer, all of the paper work was in the pouch and correct but the trailer was transported with no placrds and 3,000lbs of haz-mat to where I picked it up.
It's always the human error.

Beeman I am not aware of this. My understanding is if it is a bulk hazmat it requires the UN # to be on the side of the trailer if it is part of a LTL load or not. Can you back this information up with the specific FMSC regulation.

Sparky,

On the Hazardous Materials Chart at your terminal or the small version you should have been given at your haz-mat class left column under identification numbers. Also in the Hazardous Materials compliance handbook you were given on employment and are required to carry in the truck under general requirements, identification numbers page 35.

It states that ID numbers are required on vehicles loaded at ONE facility with 4,000lbs. or more of non bulk packages having the same shipping name and number and NO OTHER MATERIAL HAZARDOUS OR NON-HAZARDOUS IS ON BOARD.

Now a bulk shipping container is another story. It requires the number on the placard whether the container is full or empty.

I think the reason the company bought a program like this is the reason that is happening even on this board. People have different interpretations of the laws, and lets be honest, its downright confusing at times. Like I said before I double check myself with the orange book and go with what I think it tells me to do, but sometimes I cant understand it, so I ask dispatch, but who knows if they know either. The bottom line is if you get stopped its on you. Say someone rear ends you(its not your fault) and law enforcement want to check you out anyway you can get thousands of dollars worth of fines if your not placarded right.