Estes | Health insurance questions

+, I tguessing in a Roth the company loses a lot of control in what they can do with those funds. von.
First, you can do both a 401k and an IRA (neither is dependent on the other, other than a pretax 401k could put you in a position to qualify, tax bracket wise, for a pretax IRA). Second, it doesn't matter about control by the company, since that money is yours contributed (401k) and the company can't touch it. What does matter is that a 401k plan needs to be written up as a legal document by the company which needs to adhere to federal guidelines (federal guidelines has the rule that you can't rollover those funds from a 401k to an IRA till 59 1/2 or termination/retirement). I'm thinking this is why Estes doesn't want to make changes because they don't want to have to change the legal language of their plan. There may be a further expense by the Trustee to Estes for other options such as Roth or after tax options??? As far as IRA, well that has nothing to do with the company.
Would be nice if Estes did like OD and made generous profit sharing contributions. That is written in the Estes plan but I've never heard of it being performed (is an option by the company).

Last edited:
+, I tguessing in a Roth the company loses a lot of control in what they can do with those funds. von.
Nope. The only control the company has over the funds is how much they contribute. The plan is administered by a third party and the company has no control over how it’s invested or what’s done with the money. Any company contributions are non-Roth. No reason to not offer it. Doesn’t even cost extra to have.

Now that we are with Fidelity for our 401k, I made a formal request to our Benefits department to expand our 401K to allow for Roth and After Tax contributions. Got a reply from Vice President Compliance, Benefits and Spend Management that they would look into it with Fidelity. Make your case to [email protected]. The more employees interested, the more likely Estes will pay the expense to Fidelity to expand our 401K abilities.

Now that we are with Fidelity for our 401k, I made a formal request to our Benefits department to expand our 401K to allow for Roth and After Tax contributions. Got a reply from Vice President Compliance, Benefits and Spend Management that they would look into it with Fidelity. Make your case to [email protected]. The more employees interested, the more likely Estes will pay the expense to Fidelity to expand our 401K abilities.
I emailed them before about this (right after the announcement of the fidelity move) and got no response. I will email again.

My trucking time is a time without insurance from 21 to about 45 or so. I was too healthy to bother with it most of the time.

What trauma center bills I incurred for getting mashed by whatever was paid in cold cash. My last one was 600 to Casper Wyoming Hospital after they treated me for suspected asthma but later ruled as mountain sickness and that was way over 20 years ago. They did a very good job that night there at that ER. I remember them particularly despite being very sick. For being a class 3 facility they were world class.

The last time I paid for medical insurance in the work place was through the hospital when spouse worked there. I paid my part of the monthly premiums. That created a useful situation where combined with the then Medicare took care of about 100,000 dollars worth of care that year without very much from me in bills due. ONE provider was caught not properly billing both. By law you cannot say bill insurance and medicare in a certain manner to generate maximum income to the doctor or clinic etc directly. Thats fraud.