FedEx Freight | health insurance

I might hate the Teamsters, but not everybody does. ;) I've acknowledged many times most of their negotiated health care is superb. Just not worth the tradeoff to me.

Probably best that you work non-union. Back stabbers that suck their way into the best runs don't work out so well in a work place that honors seniority.

I'll have to respectfully disagree...as you probably expected.

Agreed, union members pay dues for representation (I question the qualified part) in dealing with their employer and their money shouldn't be spent on Congress or any where else, only in representing them in dealing with their employer...their money being spent elsewhere is a clear cut example of mis-representation. I agree with JD, the union doesn't exist without its members and since unions are allegedly "non-profit", all monies should be spent on or representing their members.

Your Realtor/Attorney analogy is flawed...yes, both are paid by me to represent me but their services are done once the transaction/case has been finalized...I don't continue to pay for their services after I move in/acquitted. Under this analogy, members would pay the union their dues to represent them in organizing and once organized, their services would no longer be needed, such as the Realtor/Attorney, and the dues would no longer be paid.

I agree, the union, FedEx, etc..., has the right to look out for their best interest as long as it's done with their money, NOT mine or their members.

Here is the definition of "Labor Union"
An organization of workers formed to promote collective bargaining with employers over wages, hours, fringe benefits, job security, and working conditions.
Don't see any thing in there that says we get to tell the Union how or what to spend their money on.

I agree with JD, the union doesn't exist without its members and since unions are allegedly "non-profit", all monies should be spent on or representing their members.

Your Realtor/Attorney analogy is flawed...yes, both are paid by me to represent me but their services are done once the transaction/case has been finalized...I don't continue to pay for their services after I move in/acquitted. Under this analogy, members would pay the union their dues to represent them in organizing and once organized, their services would no longer be needed, such as the Realtor/Attorney, and the dues would no longer be paid.

I agree, the union, FedEx, etc..., has the right to look out for their best interest as long as it's done with their money, NOT mine or their members.

Good points, but a couple of small flaws, Red. 1) Just because they are a non-profit does NOT mean they are a charity. 2) While a Realtor/Client or Attorney/Client relationship ends after completion/fulfillment of the contract, Union representation goes on throughout the life of the contract. Enforcement of the terms and renegotiation, require an ongoing relationship.

One benefit to that relationship is superior health insurance, just to get back on topic...

Snark Monkey said:
Probably best that you work non-union. Back stabbers that suck their way into the best runs don't work out so well in a work place that honors seniority.

Conversely, places that honor a merit system are ones you and your ilk should avoid.

You provide a service but they deny you a contract? That's odd. FredEx has a contract with everyone they do business with.

No, they don't. At least not in the sense you wish to define a contract.

Last edited:
Good points, but a couple of small flaws, Red. 1) Just because they are a non-profit does NOT mean they are a charity. 2) While a Realtor/Client or Attorney/Client relationship ends after completion/fulfillment of the contract, Union representation goes on throughout the life of the contract. Enforcement of the terms and renegotiation, require an ongoing relationship.

One benefit to that relationship is superior health insurance, just to get back on topic...
1) I never claimed they were a charity. 2) Your explanation backs my statement that your analogy is flawed...you can't compare Realtors/Attornies to the union for the very reasons I stated that you now agree with.

To get back on topic...I agree, their health insurance is good but I also agree with EX, it's not worth the baggage that comes along with it!!

I feel like this whole conversation went to a political debate but all I know is big companies or small, union and non all are hiking up prices for employees to support their families and what that has seemed to amount too over the last couple years is the companies say here's your yearly raise now I'll take those extra earnings for your healthcare increase for the year.... That's what it seems to me anyway I know I'm no longer at FedEx but my current employer is costing me 90.00 a week and 300 dollar deductibles per person before 90% coverage on all costs there in after don't know where you fedex guys sit but that sucks for me

I had way over a hundred thousand and the most I paid out of pocket was fifteen hundred... No complaints...

I had way over a hundred thousand and the most I paid out of pocket was fifteen hundred... No complaints...

That scenario must be way back when. ...

I used the ER. This year...I had to use it. It's not like I wanted to, but the bills came to 5 grand....of which my portion came to $1000...

Just saying ..the insurance coverage has gotten worse ..

Go get an eye exam for your kids and see just how much Davis vision sucks. They cover alot less this year than last year. We need V S P back.

Our eye doctor refuses to use the Davis lab to make the lenses.The Davis lab makes inferior lenses and are not up to his vision standards. He actually cares about the patient and wants them to have the best vision. Buyer beware if you have your glasses made using Davis labs.

When somebody/anybody provides a service to you, you pay for that service. What the providers of that service do with that money, as long as it's legal, is none of your business. If you don't approve of their use of the money, bring your business and money elsewhere.

When somebody/anybody provides a service to you, you pay for that service. What the providers of that service do with that money, as long as it's legal, is none of your business. If you don't approve of their use of the money, bring your business and money elsewhere.

For a business I agree, but a union isn't a business no matter how much people want to pretend it is. I/we the members own the union, it's our money it our interests it's supposed to represent. Anyone else who I pay has their own interests outside of what I'm paying them for and that's none of my business. A union doesn't have Interests except for its members and what's best for them. It's not the same as a plumber or a lawyer or a realtor.

Reactions: Ump

Nice post ex don't why some can't understand this simple premise. .

Nice post ex don't why some can't understand this simple premise. .

You're the one who doesn't get it. A union is not like another service that you pay for then the transaction is done. I pay my lawyer or plumber or whatever for a service, the money I pay them becomes their money and I don't care what the do with it, it's not my money anymore it's theirs. The unions money IS my money they have no interests or goals except the interest of the membership. They don't exist except to serve us. A lawyer plumber realtor, whatever has other interests with THIER money.

You're the one who doesn't get it. A union is not like another service that you pay for then the transaction is done. I pay my lawyer or plumber or whatever for a service, the money I pay them becomes their money and I don't care what the do with it, it's not my money anymore it's theirs. The unions money IS my money they have no interests or goals except the interest of the membership. They don't exist except to serve us. A lawyer plumber realtor, whatever has other interests with THIER money.

Seems EX understands how a buisness works. You should educate yourself how one works.

Yes it is a simple premise........the question is, would you/could you take your business and money elsewhere due to an organizations support of something for which you are opposed, or would you continue to "contribute to their delinquency"?

Sure you could it's a free country what would stop you?