Health insurance

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by cracker, Jun 12, 2017.

1. cracker

cracker Member

How good is Dayton's health insurance? How much for a family a week? How much can a starting transportation driver make? Any information would be appreciated

2. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

It's a long story and I don't want to go into all the details because there are a couple of options including an HSA which is a very good option and can even be a supplemental retirement savings account. There's no premium for that, and the company puts in a decent chunk every month. The traditional PPO plan is the exact same as the best plan offered by my last employer and costs less than half as much per week. You can get all the details when you interview.

I'll just say this: my wife works for a major hospital with a good benefits package, and we get our family coverage through the Dayton plan.

A first year linehaul driver can easily make over $80, at least at my barn.

Birdman07 likes this.
  3. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

My neighbor works in the Indy Office terminal. Best non-union LTL outfit to work for. von.

coondogg likes this.
  4. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Is he a daytime or night guy? I see the night dispatch and operations staff every night. Good group of guys there.

5. vongrimmenstein

It is April in the office. She has been my neighbor since 2001. Her & the family are good people. von.

coondogg likes this.
  6. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

I knew it would be a woman when I said "he" and "guy".

7. vongrimmenstein

She was born happy & never left the mood. And Darin her husband is a pretty pretty good guy. All in all they kind of people you want as a neighbor.

coondogg likes this.
  8. bubs

bubs Active Member

Its like $41 a week, United Healthcare. Its ok, not as good as the teamcare I had before. A lot of mental health providers dont take uhc. Id say about 65 or 70k is doable in your first year. I wish they would go back to bcbs. UHC is a damn near criminal outfit, imo

9. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

My wife is in that field, and she said the reason some mental health providers don't accept UHC is that they don't want to pay anywhere near the provider's billed rate so the they lose money on those patients.

I'm hoping if employees have problems with UHC and make their voices heard, maybe they'll switch back to BCBS.

10. bubs

bubs Active Member

I said my peace on the climate survey. 3 managers asked me about it and I had a conversation with each of them

coondogg likes this.
  11. Lazer

Lazer lied to again

I remember when Tom C. vowed that he would never ask his employee's to contribute to the health insurance plan, that it would be ' free or he would close the doors'.

12. bubs

bubs Active Member

I dont expect insurance to be free anymore. Its just too damn expensive.

13. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

It's too bad they had to succumb to modern-day economic realities. Unfortunately, we as a society have decided to shift both retirement and healthcare onto the individual rather than demand those things be benefits provided by employers. This has happened in nearly every industry both through legislation and the demands of a free market.

I really can't blame the company; there are much larger forces at work making company-paid healthcare and retirement plans a thing of the past. However, I wasn't an employee back when it was company-paid, so it's not personal to me. I've never had a job where I didn't have a premium to pay, and this one happens to have the best deal I've ever had--through the HSA in my case.

Somewhere (probably in the newsletter) I read that the company pays around $15k per employee per year for healthcare. I know it's not as much as the union companies, but one can argue about where that extra money is really coming from these days. I won't get into that argument because I really don't have a dog in either side of that fight.

Do I wish healthcare for my family didn't cost me anything? Sure. But overall, when one takes into account the whole package, Dayton is a great place to work.

14. bubs

bubs Active Member

I was a teamster before coming here. They can have my $40 a week. Ill gladly pay that for a less toxic and demoralizing workplace.

I personally wish my employer didn't have a say in my retirement or health insurance. I lived in germany before and would much rather have a similar system. I doubt thatll happen though.

coondogg likes this.
  15. Snark Monkey

Snark Monkey Well-Known Member

Ours is totally free. $200 deductible $1000 max out of pocket.

16. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

No matter what company you work for, we all pay. One way or another.

The "good old days" are over.

17. White

White Well-Known Member

Versus starting a new thread. Would anyone like to share 401(k) details? Match, company through, etc. Thanks in advance.