Central Transport | Heard Drivers Walked Quit Had Enough

CTNY

Never judge a driver by his tractor
Credits
Hello has anyone else heard that Central had 100 Drivers walk out and up and quit ? I got word also WATCH OUT when you do go over a Toll bridge and CT has paid the toll guess again . Central now plays the game charge the toll to the driver yet we haul thier freight back and forth. Check your pay see if you got hit with a repay of a advance thats how they get you for the toll.. The advance is them paying the toll but they use the trick you asked for advance on your pay SLICK MOVE... Drivers keep watching your back Central now is in a serious hurting status financially ...

Which term did this mass quitting supposedly happen, and who got charged for a toll. I use tool bridges, roads ect.. daily and have never had them deduct it from my pay. as for central hurting financially I cry B.S. Matty is a multi-billionaire theres more then enough moola to float central.

Sent via Criffvo with TT2

New York State Drivers have been talking alot about whats going on and down and many have seen the toll issues here when crossing the bridges. Matty has funds but the legal issues are hurting the company keep watching you will see . The 100 that walked are from different areas not just NY. I heard due to walkouts some areas now ship via rail to attempt to keep freight moving.

not a mass walkout...just me. after 7 years of city for CT I now drive a 2012 Volvo for ODFL doing linehual. I started looking for a job after I was written up for delaying a load because I reported a bushing out of the eyebolt on the front axle suspension. I said it needed fixed before I could drive it

After 3 weeks at odfl all I can do is kick myself for not leaving ct sooner. New equipment that is well maintained, clean modern terminals with paved lots, friendly people who are willing to help...I could go on and on. All this and the company is making a profit. Anyone reading this at ct should do yourself a favor and find other work if you can. The grass IS greener out there.

well you will see a big difference between where you were and od. they are big on safety thats for sure. welcome to the club.

This company is a joke. Anyone who works here should make a fast move to leave. They do not care about their employees and the pay rate is a joke for the drivers especially those that work at an endline terminal.

Why do drivers in most cases leave but come back to ct and beg for their job back? This why ct has some special rehiring clause?

CT doesn't hire truck drivers...They hire glorified dockworkers who just happen to pocess a CDL A. Drivers are either inexperienced, have a blemish on their record, or simply have the need to be home daily and CT is the only door that opened to them, and they took it. These rehires, coming back when others won't hire them. trump Ct's non-qualifing applicants.

CT has no yard rules. They have no safety meetings on how to drive or inspect their truck, and are not familiar with DOT regulations or hazmat rules...etc. I don't care if Matty is rich or poor. Whoever is running this company needs some serious education on trucking hazards. Wake up, CT, too many drivers have been killed because of your neglegence.

Only for a full road-side inspection. Weigh stations do not count. Partial inspections, mostly logbooks, does not count. About the only time these are done are during the 72 hour nationwide inspections.

I got a clean level 1 inspection at a scale. But a few months later when other issues came up on the truck, I wrote them up. Nothing was fixed so when I had my weekly talk with HR (I was a trainer, weekly check in required), he replied with something like "well last I knew you got 50 bucks for a clean report so there must not be much wrong.

Glad to hear you at least got paid...our term says road-side only.

But, maybe you can help me with my real issue at hand...

It wasn't until last night, having had a confrontation about not telling manager when I go to lunch, that got me searching for the real cause of my discontent. It's on the computer for him to see when someone is at lunch, (he loves his production screen, by the way) and he knows I take mine between when my trailer empties and before going on to assist others. He had just asked me if it was my last piece on my trailer, so he knew where I'd be heading. He constantly stops me and asks obsolete questions. Example: Helping driver pick up over-turned freight, my trailer is at next dock, both of which are right at the office window. He comes out to ask me if my trailer is empty???
It was...could he not see this before even venturing out of his air conditioned dwelling???
Did he really want me to stop in mid-action to get the dolphin he was standing by to scan the trailer he was next to?? He did. I didn't. Me bad!

Normally, these things really wouldn't bother me, but it's because he doesn't care about his yard, trucks, regulations, nor drivers, that it makes these little things so unbearable to me, now. And, yes, I am getting an attitude, of which I am not proud. I pray on how to deal with it, but no answers are coming. I am fine...UNTIL...he shows up on the dock, then I become instantly irritated. Keep saying I won't let it get to me, but then he opens his mouth. Even saying 'hi' to this person takes effort on my part, and this is not me.

But, the big issues seem to be unimportant to him...
1) He won't assign trucks with subsiquent routes or drivers. He takes other terminals' trucks and then has a hissy-fit that they end up with his terminal's truck.
2) He doesn't care that u-turns on yard create pot holes or wears tires down, ultimately causing freight damage and additional equipment charges.
3) Doesn't care if he loads red-tagged trailers, one of which went out the other day with not 1, but 2 brake chambers malfunctioning, several others needing inspections, and a lot with doors that won't close properly.
4) Never lends a helping hand to anyone, even one in training. He actually pushes experienced employees, who are trying to explain to the new guy the best way to deal with whatever problem has arisen, on their way. One of these new individuals was so confused from not being trained properly, he quit. This manager and his lead hand only laughed, pretty much saying the worker wasn't up-to-speed, nohow. The only one not on top of things is this goofball, in my opinion!
5) Wants to know why the late dispatch, having no clue that his holding up the paperwork is what caused the delay.
6) Ask him a question that needs answering from higher personel, and you'll never hear a response. Or, a week later, he'll tell you to find out the answer on your own.

I have never had disrepect for a manager before. Their title has earned them this priviledge. Continually negotiating between upper management and the lower staff has to be quite a headache, but this is their job.
---Am I just having a personality conflict with this No-Brain-Fart? He seems nice enough a dude, otherwise. Or...
---Do I really have reason to question his ability as a leader? Or...
---Is it the shortage of pay and not getting enough rest, making me so defensive?

Last bits of relevant info: Have worked 3 other major CT terminals, and have not had this experience at any of these locations. All dispatchers and mechanics are nice, helpful, and knowledged, usually providing most answers I need. Overall company needs some improving: better pay, equipment, and the need to know their drivers are their number one customer who are in direct contact with the paying one's along with their physical freight.

Hoping for a better results. I'm his close /|\ to quitting, if something doesn't give soon.

Your statements kind of answer your question...he doesn't care. Having said that, I had 6 mgrs in the 7 yrs I was at CT. Some were good and moved on, others were worthless and moved on. The 1 thing that they had in common was that when they were hired, they were basically told they would have a blank check to work with to improve the terminal. So they had meetings to hear the complaints and made a list to take to "Detroit". Its funny how fast they found out things weren't going to change. I talked to them all a little more than the other drivers since I was the trainer and had been there awhile, so I was more aware of what they went thru. It sounds like your guy is just not good mngr material tho. Im guessing you are linehaul because of your lunch issue. I was always city so we had to take lunch before our 5th hour, no questions about where or when exactly. As far as red tagged trlrs, I used to do the early am run to the grainger branch. I took a trlr that had came in from Indy the day b4, when I got to the end of our long drive I realized it had very little or no brakes. I went ahead to the stop since I was loaded light. (wrong I know) When I got back I crawled underneath and felt the drums. They were cold, meaning no brakes at all. I told the acting term mgr who was there training the current mgr about it and he said he would call the shop. Next am I came in and the trlr was gone. The shop told them to load it as light as they could and send it to them, they would fix it. I came unglued. Mgr said he was only doing what he was told. I reported it to the safety dept and to hr rep. Safety said the only way they could pursue it was if I got a statement from the mgr saying the shop told him to do it. I said go look at the trlr and see the brakes. Trouble is it wasn't at Indy anymore, it was loaded back out to Chicago without ever going to the shop. Bottom line is your troubles aren't new nor confined to your terminal. My advice is to look for work elsewhere. I absolutely love working for OD. Not sure where you are but OD is expanding all over. Spending over 200 million this year on equipment alone to replace better equipment than CT has. Good luck.

Thanks Davidyz!

One doesn't get ahead by sulking on the problem forever. Just can't seem to find the solution as of yet. But I will. It's the universal way. God Bless!