XPO | Heard new rumors XPO is looking into ways to change the way we run linehaul

rangeman

TB Lurker
Credits
Anybody hear any new rumors about the way we run Linehaul. They want to start bidding on times not runs. And can keep us out a couple nights a week. How would that work for us if we don't have dedicated dockworkers?

Anybody hear any new rumors about the way we run Linehaul. They want to start bidding on times not runs. And can keep us out a couple nights a week. How would that work for us if we don't have dedicated dockworkers?
This rumor has been around since the purchase by XPO. If this lets drivers make more money let it happen. Tony Brooks after all , comes from a different model for linehaul (Roadway) Laydown runs.

Everyone else does it that way so why shouldn't we? I would not have a problem with laydowns as long as it is a bid run so I don't have to do it. I know plenty of the younger guys and a few older ones that would sign up for that kind of run if it meant that they would get miles.

The way we do linehaul now locks drivers with less seniority out of runs with miles.

If we go to a system with laydowns and running all 48 , wouldn't there be some bid linehaul runs still available?

This rumor has been around since the purchase by XPO. If this lets drivers make more money let it happen. Tony Brooks after all , comes from a different model for linehaul (Roadway) Laydown runs.
I thought he came from Dean Foods

I thought he came from Dean Foods
"Mr. Brooks is a 30-year career transportation and logistics executive who has run three of the largest fleets in North America. He has managed complex networks in large companies, including Sysco Corporation, Dean Foods, Sears Holdings Corporation, PepsiCo/Frito-Lay, and 11 years with LTL long-haul carrier Roadway Express, Inc"

Everyone else does it that way so why shouldn't we? I would not have a problem with laydowns as long as it is a bid run so I don't have to do it. I know plenty of the younger guys and a few older ones that would sign up for that kind of run if it meant that they would get miles.

Have you ever tried to sleep in a hotel during the day? Nearly impossible.

The biggest thing I hated about Con-Job's linehaul system was the fact that it's basically just a giant flexboard and you don't have a set start time or a set run.

Do it like everyone else and run set bid runs with a flexboard of system drivers to take up the slack. Can't tell you how nice it is to know EXACTLY when my gate time is every day and never have to wait on a phone call to find out when to come in and where I'm running to.

Oh yeah, and the fact that I haven't been on a forklift for over a year is a huge plus, too...

Don't believe everything you hear.

But understand that every rumor starts with a truth. The old Con-way model will not work with E-logs. There are way to many runs and vias that will not be able to be done by eager drivers looking for miles. We talk about it all the time on lunch. " won't be able to do that any more, get it while you still can ". The laws are different now too. In that respect, it's a very different world from trucking 30 years ago. And they have all the data from the computers and GPS in the trucks. They know what we really do. They know what really happens.

Does this mean there will be zero traditional LH runs ? No. Every barn has it's short hauls. But does it mean that there might be some lay down runs ? It's possible. But remember we are way more expensive than a Swift driver. None of us are going to be out there running wild across the 48. But regional runs. Where you would have to dead head a van 700 miles to get the freight instead of loading up some freight for that barn and it's lanes and making use of that trip are certainly inside the realm of possible senarios.

A lot of our competitors use a mixture of both. With the seasoned drivers preferring the longer runs will zero dock work. The new guys get stuck with the " hub " runs.

But understand that every rumor starts with a truth. The old Con-way model will not work with E-logs. There are way to many runs and vias that will not be able to be done by eager drivers looking for miles. We talk about it all the time on lunch. " won't be able to do that any more, get it while you still can ". The laws are different now too. In that respect, it's a very different world from trucking 30 years ago. And they have all the data from the computers and GPS in the trucks. They know what we really do. They know what really happens.
Why would e-logs make a difference? If the runs wont work on e-log then they shouldnt on paper.

I ran system for Saia for quite a while and it does suck being away from home for a week at a time, but when I was running linehaul at Con-Job, the FAC would hold you on the dock for so long that you were barely getting to see your family anyway between 14-16 hour shifts. Make more money over here and no ridiculous dock work, either. They ocassionally got me home in the middle of the week too.

And the people claiming there's bedbugs infesting the hotels obviously haven't stayed in one lately. I stayed in dozens of them and never had a problem. Most of our hotels are very nice.