XPO | Heard new rumors XPO is looking into ways to change the way we run linehaul

There are a lot of people that just don't get it. Con-way is dead. The Con-job way of doing things is dead. It's only a matter of time. Things are going to be different. They have to be. Some people would rather believe a lie than face a truth.

This guy is not going to allow the amount of waste and loss that has been acceptable in the past. When he talks about growing the business, he doesn't mean more volume, he means more profit. If it costs more it's no good. EBITDA. Slash and cash. Cut and gut. Make more money by not spending more money.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees this.
Have you noticed the breakers hanging lately? The bill count on the typical trailer on inbound at my barn is about 1/2 what it was 6 months ago. If you haven't been following EVERY LANE is getting renegotiated on EVERY ACCOUNT. Even our big blue chip companies. If there are lanes on big accounts are loosing money they will be cut or have been cut - it doesn't matter how big the customer is ( think Green or Yellow for example )

There are a lot of people that just don't get it. Con-way is dead. The Con-job way of doing things is dead. It's only a matter of time. Things are going to be different. They have to be. Some people would rather believe a lie than face a truth.

This guy is not going to allow the amount of waste and loss that has been acceptable in the past. When he talks about growing the business, he doesn't mean more volume, he means more profit. If it costs more it's no good. EBITDA. Slash and cash. Cut and gut. Make more money by not spending more money.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees this.
The question that comes to mind is : Once you have all of this excess capacity , what will you do with it?

At Estes, Extra board drivers have their own truck . Only hub and set turns usely slip seat . A
Lot of new trucks last year and this year. A lot if suffleing around .

Eliminate it.
That's one line of thinking. Your's. Bradley Jacobs and Tony Brooks haven't tipped their hand.

The bright side of this is someone is hauling the less profitable freight - and it's not us. If things tighten up that cheap freight may bite the ass of whoever hauls it.

When the "strategy" of Con-way was to try and put pressure on YRCW by gobbling up all kinds of freight , Con-way nearly choked on cheap and crappy freight. ( Lots of work though - hey , just like you guys are now ) It may hurt but maybe XPO is going back to being a premium carrier.

Eliminate it.

Fewer tractors and fewer drivers means less overhead and more EBITDA. He is in business to make money. The easiest way for him to organically grow this business is to further integrate it through technology.

That van in Lexington, KY going to Detroit, MI with one skid can stop in Cincinnati, OH and LTL will take it to delivery and then he can roll out of Cincinnati with a full 53. Instead of running up to deliver that one skid and then have to dead head to wherever to find a load.

They put " Terminator Tim " in charge of Truckload. First act is to bring the LTL sense of urgency to the Truckload drivers. Second act will be to fill those trailers. Maximize their usage. Truckload drivers are cheaper than LTL drivers. Truckload drivers are much easier to keep when they are working steady miles and home regular.

Not talking rocket science. This is all pretty basic stuff. If they can go from 50%-60% turnover to 30%-40% turnover in Truckload, the advantage will be profound. Profits will soar.

so how long does it take to get out of the yard. I saying the e-log goes on movement of the truck. The truck start moving at 0905 but it might take 5 mins to get out on the road so you mark 0915 on paper. Can't draw lines and drive at the same time. The e-log will revert back to when the truck started moving even though your still in the yard. I know this because I had a buddy get a log violation for moving his truck from the shop to a parking space in a truck stop the e-log put him is drive.
Also how many drivers followed that 7 min rule most driver log the way it benefits them.

You must not work here. Our logs need to match up to our paysheets. We can't wait until we are going on to the road to go to the driving line. If I punch off my hook at 905, I need to go from on duty to driving at 900. That's why you see guys standing there watching the punch clock (stealing time). There are some guys that run really tight vias right now that won't be able to be done on e logs.

That's one line of thinking. Your's. Bradley Jacobs and Tony Brooks haven't tipped their hand.

The bright side of this is someone is hauling the less profitable freight - and it's not us. If things tighten up that cheap freight may bite the ass of whoever hauls it.

When the "strategy" of Con-way was to try and put pressure on YRCW by gobbling up all kinds of freight , Con-way nearly choked on cheap and crappy freight. ( Lots of work though - hey , just like you guys are now ) It may hurt but maybe XPO is going back to being a premium carrier.

It's not that we weren't making money on that green and yellow freight. It's that we weren't making ENOUGH money. A company with much lower cost of operation can make a killing running that freight.

LaBrie had us working for free. Idiot. Jacobs wants to move away from premium service and expand into economy freight.

You must not work here. Our logs need to match up to our paysheets. We can't wait until we are going on to the road to go to the driving line. If I punch off my hook at 905, I need to go from on duty to driving at 900. That's why you see guys standing there watching the punch clock (stealing time). There are some guys that run really tight vias right now that won't be able to be done on e logs.

There are a lot of guys doing some really questionable things with their pens. Not pointing fingers. I ain't here to cause problems. But once the e logs are in, there will be some guys not making some of their regular runs any more. I agree with you totally there and am 100% certain of that.

At Estes, Extra board drivers have their own truck . Only hub and set turns usely slip seat . A
Lot of new trucks last year and this year. A lot if suffleing around .

There are a lot of drivers here that are used to feeling special. Little princesses in boots. And there are gonna be a whole bunch of big crocodile tears coming when they get the news.

It's not that we weren't making money on that green and yellow freight. It's that we weren't making ENOUGH money. A company with much lower cost of operation can make a killing running that freight.

LaBrie had us working for free. Idiot. Jacobs wants to move away from premium service and expand into economy freight.
I meant higher profit margins when I said "premium"

so how long does it take to get out of the yard. I saying the e-log goes on movement of the truck. The truck start moving at 0905 but it might take 5 mins to get out on the road so you mark 0915 on paper. Can't draw lines and drive at the same time. The e-log will revert back to when the truck started moving even though your still in the yard. I know this because I had a buddy get a log violation for moving his truck from the shop to a parking space in a truck stop the e-log put him is drive.
Also how many drivers followed that 7 min rule most driver log the way it benefits them.

With ours it tracks back to when you start moving or you can manually put yourself on the drive line when you pull out the gate. Also, it doesn't matter if you start moving at 0905 and don't leave the gate too 0910 you still technically should draw your line at 0900. The only way you get the dock screws to change their ways and let you out when they should rather than holding you hostage is hold their feet to it. Run 100% legal. Beat them about the head and shoulders with it. They'll get it eventually... Or they'll get fired, one or the other. They can't do anything to you, you have the law on your side.

There are a lot of guys doing some really questionable things with their pens. Not pointing fingers. I ain't here to cause problems. But once the e logs are in, there will be some guys not making some of their regular runs any more. I agree with you totally there and am 100% certain of that.

I used to work with a driver who had that 7 or 8 minute punch down to a science!

There are plenty of stretchers and fudgers out there. And both won't fly with e logs.
As someone already running e-logs, I can attest that the 7 minute wiggle room is gone. The computer tracks every minute.

Always check your clock before going on duty. Make sure you have all your hours. And do not try to fool the system, because it doesn't work. The e-logs WILL force the super truckers to abide by the law.

Remember, the e-log is your friend as long as you're not juggling the clock to get through the day. If you are, this machine will catch you and put an end to it.

As someone already running e-logs, I can attest that the 7 minute wiggle room is gone. The computer tracks every minute.

Always check your clock before going on duty. Make sure you have all your hours. And do not try to fool the system, because it doesn't work. The e-logs WILL force the super truckers to abide by the law.

Remember, the e-log is your friend as long as you're not juggling the clock to get through the day. If you are, this machine will catch you and put an end to it.

And I say good for it! Aside from some inane rules (ie the 30-minute break rule) I'm glad I have to run 100% legal now, and the company absolutely has to abide by it as well.

And I say good for it! Aside from some inane rules (ie the 30-minute break rule) I'm glad I have to run 100% legal now, and the company absolutely has to abide by it as well.
Thankfully we don't have the break rule up here. 13hrs driving, 14hrs duty, allowance for 2hrs off duty if needed in the middle for a total of 16hrs, after which you must be off duty for a minimum of 8hrs (total of 10hrs).

And we have allowances for team drivers here if you want to run 6hr split shifts. Canadian HOS is far less convoluted and there's way less pressure to maximize your hours.

So true depending on where you live it's even hard to sleep in your own house during the day.
The hotels the company puts you up in are some of the cheapest ones in town and most of the time right near the interstate.

Yes you MIGHT make more money but you also need to figure the cost of you eating on the road. I would figure a min. $20 per meal and if you a health nut figure more. Yes you can eat subway and fast food, but that gets old quick and is not that good for you. With the lack of physical active you can watch the pounds pile on.
Some driver have families at home and while have to put food on that table every day the more money you MIGHT make has to feed you on the road.

The different between E-logs and paper are the so called 15mins. The runs that push the drive time limit will have to change e-logs mark time by the second, YES THE SECOND, I see the time stamps on the e-log system. Your paper log goes by the 15mins. Let say you leave the FAC at 4:02am on you paper log book you mark 0415 as drive time. On the E-log it is marked as 0402 from the time the truck starts moving. It might take a little time for the e-log to put you in drive but it will revert back to when the truck started moving which is 0402. You just lost 13mins of drive time. Now when you get to you barn you mark on your paper log you stop driving at 0900 but you didn't get into the yard till 0910 when you stopped the truck. You e-log will say 0910. When you left the FAC you had 4.75hrs of drive time left and on duty was not a factor. What you put on you paper log will show no violation, but on you e-log you would have be out of drive time 0847am you would be stopped waiting for someone to come get you and if you would keep driving then you drove 23mins past you drive time.
I have run runs with my last company and runs that we did on paper were now layovers on the e-log because of these little 15mins.
Your right after crunching numbers I'd make about the same as I do now . But still no dock work which is a plus . Your meals are reimbursed on your taxes $32 a day or more if you keep receipt's (per diem) any hotel is better than a sleeper berth, IMO and when you have an hour drive time back and forth to your SC like I do plus have a 520+ mile linehaul run it leaves me working 13-15 hrs a day, by the time I get showered ,eat ,lift and get ready for work and with the wife and kids always running around to sports games,cheerleading, play dates and doctors appt's I barely see the family 2 days during the week anyhow. plus the wife has a lighter load to bare with me not there she's not making meals,packing my lunch and listening to my grumpy ass when I'm tired. For me it would still be a go.

With ours it tracks back to when you start moving or you can manually put yourself on the drive line when you pull out the gate. Also, it doesn't matter if you start moving at 0905 and don't leave the gate too 0910 you still technically should draw your line at 0900. The only way you get the dock screws to change their ways and let you out when they should rather than holding you hostage is hold their feet to it. Run 100% legal. Beat them about the head and shoulders with it. They'll get it eventually... Or they'll get fired, one or the other. They can't do anything to you, you have the law on your side.
agree, but what should be done and what is done are too different things