XPO | Heard new rumors XPO is looking into ways to change the way we run linehaul

Your right after crunching numbers I'd make about the same as I do now . But still no dock work which is a plus . Your meals are reimbursed on your taxes $32 a day or more if you keep receipt's (per diem) any hotel is better than a sleeper berth, IMO and when you have an hour drive time back and forth to your SC like I do plus have a 520+ mile linehaul run it leaves me working 13-15 hrs a day, by the time I get showered ,eat ,lift and get ready for work and with the wife and kids always running around to sports games,cheerleading, play dates and doctors appt's I barely see the family 2 days during the week anyhow. plus the wife has a lighter load to bare with me not there she's not making meals,packing my lunch and listening to my grumpy ass when I'm tired. For me it would still be a go.

Agree for some it will work and some will like it, but I lived on the road and for me and many others we don't want that.
You are figuring this on what you run now 520+ miles you are not guaranteed you will get 520+ mile a night or the 2600+ you are getting now. Were is it written that there would be no dock work? You could run 200 mile and work the dock until they put you in a hotel because more senior drivers came in and were dispatched first.

Last edited:
How do you get a company that is used to out and back daily to running regional schedules?

I could be wrong, but from my time there, it seems the Con-way linehaul network is/was setup and optimized for next day and two day lanes.
Seems like this would require some network realignment, which is not unheard of..

Interesting to see how this played out, as this was one of the reasons I stuck around. I went to school during the days and it was important for me to be some. Some guys might like the more windshield time..

Here are a few thoughts on Layovers: I have easily been in over 1,000 hotel rooms. After so many years on the road I have never seen a bed bug. Yes, they are out there but I doubt you will ever see one. Make sure you bring ear plugs. Some drivers take Melatonin. There are drivers who say they sleep better at the hotel. Not everyone has Air Conditioning at home, for instance. Sign up for the hotel loyalty programs so you get all the points. Later you can use them for free rooms while on vacation. If you live far from the terminal you might save money because you won't have to drive home everyday. There are ways to save money on food while on the road. Don't forget the IRS gives you a good tax deduction for the days you are on the road. More info at www.gsa.gov/mie

Some guys can take their truck to the hotel but parking lots do get crowded. Sometimes its better to not have the truck. Sometimes the trucks get broken into or snow chains and batteries get stolen but that is extremely rare. It can be frustrating to wait for the hotel shuttle to take you back and forth. It cuts into your time off. The shuttle will stop at every other LTL along the way, dropping off and picking up drivers like you. Depending on where you are the city drivers might need your truck or the shop might have too many trucks due for PM or out of service. Sometimes a city driver will take your truck from the hotel and bring it back while you are sleeping. It can also be frustrating to wait for a room in the morning or if they are sold out.

If you have a short run you might be able to get some extra work from city dispatch. Maybe pick up empty trailers at a customer or something easy. I don't mean mall freight with a hand truck.

I have no idea how XPO will run their line haul operation. Some companies still have bunk rooms. I consider myself spoiled. Many drivers have it much worse than me. For example, in Dallas the YRC layover drivers have to take everything out of their trucks and take it with them to the hotel. They don't get the same truck back when they return to work. That would be a serious hassle. I sure hope you guys don't have to do that.

Here are a few thoughts on Layovers: I have easily been in over 1,000 hotel rooms. After so many years on the road I have never seen a bed bug. Yes, they are out there but I doubt you will ever see one. Make sure you bring ear plugs. Some drivers take Melatonin. There are drivers who say they sleep better at the hotel. Not everyone has Air Conditioning at home, for instance. Sign up for the hotel loyalty programs so you get all the points. Later you can use them for free rooms while on vacation. If you live far from the terminal you might save money because you won't have to drive home everyday. There are ways to save money on food while on the road. Don't forget the IRS gives you a good tax deduction for the days you are on the road. More info at www.gsa.gov/mie

Some guys can take their truck to the hotel but parking lots do get crowded. Sometimes its better to not have the truck. Sometimes the trucks get broken into or snow chains and batteries get stolen but that is extremely rare. It can be frustrating to wait for the hotel shuttle to take you back and forth. It cuts into your time off. The shuttle will stop at every other LTL along the way, dropping off and picking up drivers like you. Depending on where you are the city drivers might need your truck or the shop might have too many trucks due for PM or out of service. Sometimes a city driver will take your truck from the hotel and bring it back while you are sleeping. It can also be frustrating to wait for a room in the morning or if they are sold out.

If you have a short run you might be able to get some extra work from city dispatch. Maybe pick up empty trailers at a customer or something easy. I don't mean mall freight with a hand truck.

I have no idea how XPO will run their line haul operation. Some companies still have bunk rooms. I consider myself spoiled. Many drivers have it much worse than me. For example, in Dallas the YRC layover drivers have to take everything out of their trucks and take it with them to the hotel. They don't get the same truck back when they return to work. That would be a serious hassle. I sure hope you guys don't have to do that.

This is great info. Thank you for sharing this. The way things are heading here, I would not underestimate how bad it might soon get.

It's not hard running a slip seat operation. Just buy hand truck dolly to hold your pull bag and slip box. Strap it down with vice grip antenna in your hand and off to hotel you go.