Heavy Fog I-10 W Beaumont Texas

I run Texas all the time at night. No there is not a resteria every 75 yards but you can pull over. However, as you stated CK, you are asking for trouble in getting rear ended.

The worst thing that can happen in fog/heavy rain day/night is these fools (including MANY big trucks) riding down the road in this low visibility with their damn 4 way flashers on. There are red ones and there are amber ones all flashing at different intervals and different times and are one hell of a distraction to a driver trying to determine where in the hell the road is. These are the same idiots that would drive in the rain without their headlights on.

I usually won't stop in fog but if there is ice, I am off the road in a heartbeat. I do NOT see how these guys that run up north do it on a nightly basis. Not me. Heck, I've driven through 3 hurricanes but ice? Ain't no way.

You got all the answers because you have never been in that situation. You have no white line on the highway to guide you. Duh, your fog lights are useless..your spotlight is useless. You cannot tell the travel lane from the ditch. You cannot get off the highway in time because you cannot see the exit if there were an exit. You're screwed no matter what you do. You come into a wall of fog and have little time to react duh. Stick to your city peddle professor
Yeah, I never been in the situation. I drove for 16 years, 11 of those with a CMV. But according to you, I never once drove in fog, snow, etc.

It's difficult to not attack the author and I did the best with what was available.

Have you EVER driven in Texas? WHERE are all those available areas to "pull the freak over and stop"??

There's also the remnants of a STEVEN'S TRANSPORT truck, so ya have another negative comment??

HOW recently have you driven in Texas? Oh, right, you're a day cab driver for u.p.s. or a trailer jockey and NEVER in Fog or Rain.

NO, they're not!!
Never driven into a Rain Wall or Dense Fog??--one moment it's dry, next it's wet..one moment it's clear, next it's not, and YOU (general reference) are still traveling at highway speed--FOG at NIGHT is worse, but then of course you claim you simply STOP and WAIT, how nice.

MANY areas of Highways do not allow vehicles to simply "pull the freak over and wait" and some times such actions CAUSE WRECKS.

There are signs (usually big black letters on white background for the few of US who can still READ ENGLISH) on the major Highways in Texas (as well south central and south western states) stating DO NOT DRIVE INTO SMOKE, and these signs do not apply to folk like you that somehow have reservations on roadsides to "pull over and wait".
Hopefully for you (and any person unfortunately riding with ya), you don't get creamed after you decided to "pull over and wait" for whatever nasty weather to clear up.

It's actually AMAZING there were only 2 Deaths!!

It's called looking at the weather report before you get out and drive. Never once have I been caught off guard by fog, rain, snow, etc. That boils down to your inability to do a adequate trip-plan.

And neither one of you didn't directly respond to what I said. The fact that you are trying to justify this foolishness is rather appauling. These accidents are COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE. I don't give a rats if you don't agree, so stop trying to change my mind. I cant think of any circumstance that would warrant you to drive in no visibility. If you cannot see far enough ahead to safely stop, get off the dang road. Here's a concept: Don't even get on the road in the first place if conditions are that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I never been in the situation. I drove for 16 years, 11 of those with a CMV. But according to you, I never once drove in fog, snow, etc.

And neither one of you didn't directly respond to what I said. The fact that you are trying to justify this foolishness is rather appauling. These accidents are COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE. I don't give a rats if you don't agree, so stop trying to change my mind.

All accidents are avoidable as far as the company is concerned. When your luck runs out you're in trouble. We all drive in snow, ice and fog. One just needs to slow down or get off the highway.

But that is not always possible. When you are on the interstate or coming down a long steep grade on packed snow or heading into a fog on the bottom of the mountain there is no going back

All accidents are avoidable as far as the company is concerned. When your luck runs out you're in trouble. We all drive in snow, ice and fog. One just needs to slow down or get off the highway.

But that is not always possible. When you are on the interstate or coming down a long steep grade on packed snow or heading into a fog on the bottom of the mountain there is no going back

Again, that's your inability to do a adequate trip-plan. If you performed a adequate trip plan, you would know what the weather conditions ahead of you are.

Again, that's your inability to do a adequate trip-plan. If you performed a adequate trip plan, you would know what the weather conditions ahead of you are.

ya right. Every time there's an inclement weather forecast like ice or fog you just go to Dunkin Donuts until it clears. I don't think so

ya right. Every time there's an inclement weather forecast like ice or fog you just go to Dunkin Donuts until it clears. I don't think so

He works for the post office, it could happen.

Now, I have to log on to fogforcast.com and see what's up ahead.

Proper trip plan? You are a rookie. I can leave Norfolk VA and be in LA 48 hours later. How should I go about trip planning? What a ludicrous statement. Real truck drivers drive. If there is weather ahead, I'll deal with it when I find it. I might seek alternative routing if there is a major snow storm coming through. Any other weather... I deal with it.

Air, where do you get your fog forcast?

He works for the post office, it could happen.

Now, I have to log on to fogforcast.com and see what's up ahead.

Proper trip plan? You are a rookie. I can leave Norfolk VA and be in LA 48 hours later. How should I go about trip planning? What a ludicrous statement. Real truck drivers drive. If there is weather ahead, I'll deal with it when I find it. I might seek alternative routing if there is a major snow storm coming through. Any other weather... I deal with it.

Air, where do you get your fog forcast?

You said I made a ludicrous statement, then you follow up with a ludicrous statement of your own. Real drivers drive? Are you kidding me? LOL. Basically you would drive straight into a hurricane that's been forcasted to hit that area, yet you nag me for my 'trip planning'. And since you're a 'real driver', you can end up in that pile-up depicted in the OP with the rest of those 'real drivers'. I'll make sure to wave at you when I pass by with my 'trip planning' and 'rookie status'.

Also, if you know anything about weather you would know fog appears when the OAT and dewpoint match.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to get me one of those dew point gauges for my truck.

Driving into a hurricane (something that is forecasted for weeks in advance) is one thing, show me anywhere where I can find the fog forecast. That's what this post is about. YOU CANT TRIP PLAN AROUND FOG. You can react to changing conditions when you encounter them. That's called truck driving. These drivers failed that part of steering wheel holder school.

Now go back to sleep, I hear there is some dust being forecast around Reno. Don't want to take any chances.

You said I made a ludicrous statement, then you follow up with a ludicrous statement of your own. Real drivers drive? Are you kidding me? LOL. Basically you would drive straight into a hurricane that's been forcasted to hit that area, yet you nag me for my 'trip planning'. And since you're a 'real driver', you can end up in that pile-up depicted in the OP with the rest of those 'real drivers'. I'll make sure to wave at you when I pass by with my 'trip planning' and 'rookie status'.

Also, if you know anything about weather you would know fog appears when the OAT and dewpoint match.

ah, I've been written up for 'failing to meet work responsibilities' for booking off on a nor'easter. I don't play well in extreme weather conditions. Extreme is rare. Driving on ice, snow or in fog is part of the job

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I don't appreciate you twisting what I say and trying to change my mind.
Seems to appear a wee bit dodgy and/or paranoid.
NO PERSON is "trying to change your mind":biglaugh: as it's obviously comparable to erecting a brick wall with a Wendy's knife and a bowl of Oatmeal (or toothpaste for the creative artists) while taking direction from a barfly.

I'm sure ALL OF US are gratified to read you're able to get ALL WEATHER PREDICTIONS BEFORE YOU VENTURE FORTH like to the supermarket or the bowling alley or to your garage out back.
Airbrakes=If you performed a adequate trip plan, you would know what the weather conditions ahead of you are.
Gosh, it must be nice to be so well informed and WE'RE GLAD you're a LOCAL postal orifice driver while not being a "real truck driver".

This was FUN!!
Thank you ALL for your time.
CHEERS!!