XPO | Help me!

RevItUp said:
I start Monday. Only one question : If the trucks are not air conditioned :thumbsdown: ...then do they at least sweeten the koolaid? I like sugar!:wavey:

I haven't seen a "Balls Tractor" since 1999 or 2000, and I doubt there are many non-a.c. units left, at least on the west side :)

When I first started in the SouthWest Desert, it was 115deg a lot, and I had no power steering or A.C. for weeks, I almost quit! Glad I didn't!!! :)

Goodluck, and remember to fill out manifests correctly, and take proper exceptions (damage notes) on the D.R,'s or when breaking a trailer!!!!!!!!!!

RevItUp said:
I start Monday. Only one question : If the trucks are not air conditioned :thumbsdown: ...then do they at least sweeten the koolaid? I like sugar!:wavey:
Air conditioning? Open the vent windows and aim the air at you. (You need to be at speed to get any kind of flow)

Digital Import said:
suplemental is simply a class of employment. you have three classes. suplemental, associate and regular. you are suplemental for the first three months. basically while you are on probation. then you are an associate for the next year. after 1 year and three months you become a regular employee. you are considered full time and can/probobly will work 40+ hours a week in all three classes of employment.
as for transfering, i believe you have to be employed for at least a year (which on con-way speak means 15 months) be in good standings (no serious no-no's in your file) AND the terminal you wish to transfer to must have an open spot for you. basically a yard can't/won't MAKE an opening just so a driver can transfer. However, when you transfer you loose your senority. you start back at the bottom of the flex board and have to work your way up. you do however, keep your company senority. (pay schedule, benifits, time until retirment etc etc)
on the note about senior drivers disliking the aprenticship program, that i don't know too much about. i'm far from a senior driver. you aren't taking freight from them, you aren't taking their bids away from them. ni fact you are helping them to sustain their bids. con-way requires a certain percentage of bid/flex. without people from the aprenticship program filling out the bottom, then the senior drivers may loose or drop in their bids. now a lot of senior drivers may not "bother" (for lack of a better word) with you for the first year or so but it isn't them trying to be out-right stupid rude, but rather, (at least at my barn) our highest turnover point is within the first year. so why get to know someone if they are only going to quit within a year.
hope this helps you out. :)

Nice Post... That's it in a nut shell...

shortcircuit said:
p.s.-for those viewing the Con-Way Forums, that are not actually employed with Con-Way yet, be prepared! If you are coming off "OTR", you are in for a hell of a culture shock, but IF you want to better yourself, AND make better money, then Con-Way is the answer!

The typical "new hire" will work 45-55 hours per week in some areas, and will work wierd hours, as you will start on the extra board, and might work on the dock, go make a pick up and/or delivery in the city, and then do a line run that night, all in the same day!

ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE? :)

Well Said....

shortcircuit said:
I haven't seen a "Balls Tractor" since 1999 or 2000, and I doubt there are many non-a.c. units left, at least on the west side :)

When I first started in the SouthWest Desert, it was 115deg a lot, and I had no power steering or A.C. for weeks, I almost quit! Glad I didn't!!! :)

Goodluck, and remember to fill out manifests correctly, and take proper exceptions (damage notes) on the D.R,'s or when breaking a trailer!!!!!!!!!!
I liked my 87,Man did it run.That tractor was a mans truck.Not a/c,air ride wimp mobiles we have now.

gfy said:
I liked my 87,Man did it run.That tractor was a mans truck.Not a/c,air ride wimp mobiles we have now.

Interesting comment ;)

I agree and disagree. I liked having A.C. in the SouthWest, oh yeah, definitely :)

BUT, I do NOT like the Sterlings, I miss the 95 Ford's, BIG time! :(

I like the fact that it had power steering, and A.C., but it was a work truck. Also, the old city fords were really my choice when I ran city, those old buzzards could take a beating!!!! A.C. or not, LOVED those trucks!!!! :)

shortcircuit said:
Huh? There is still a one year associate program in the system?????

When I started with CWX, I had the 90 day thing, the 1 year associate thing, and THEN made "regular", BUT, 9 months into my 1 year, they (CWX) did away with the 1 year associate thing, but I still had to complete 5.25 years before topping out, though I picked up "regular" early.

Anyway, I have seen a LOT of changes and different work hours in 10 years, and LOVE all of it!

I LOVE that we are dynamic, it keeps me on my toes, and drives me to the best I can be, including the 50-60 hour work weeks!

I have always loved that we can actually find ways to make s--t happen, and do ALL we can for our customers! :)

I'd NEVER go elsewhere in the LTL industry, if I ever left, it would have to be back over the road again :(

I will settle for now less than Con-Way! :)

Just my two cents.......

ShortCircuit

p.s.-for those viewing the Con-Way Forums, that are not actually employed with Con-Way yet, be prepared! If you are coming off "OTR", you are in for a hell of a culture shock, but IF you want to better yourself, AND make better money, then Con-Way is the answer!

The typical "new hire" will work 45-55 hours per week in some areas, and will work wierd hours, as you will start on the extra board, and might work on the dock, go make a pick up and/or delivery in the city, and then do a line run that night, all in the same day!

ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE? :)
The typical "new hire" will work 45-55 hours per week....where is this at?45-55 hrs. yeah ok!

No Freight said:
The typical "new hire" will work 45-55 hours per week....where is this at?45-55 hrs. yeah ok!

I am going on about 2.5 months with Conway (and would also like to add very happy, better than the OTR low paying crap). I have 2 weeks so far that I have been out of hours. I had to either work the dock or do a team run to save hours.
I have worked the dock maybe 5 times and worked the city maybe 3-4 times, the rest of the time I have been on linehaul. I would honestly rather stay on the flex board than take a bid time and get stuck on the dock.

xco_dsr said:
I am going on about 2.5 months with Conway (and would also like to add very happy, better than the OTR low paying crap). I have 2 weeks so far that I have been out of hours. I had to either work the dock or do a team run to save hours.
I have worked the dock maybe 5 times and worked the city maybe 3-4 times, the rest of the time I have been on linehaul. I would honestly rather stay on the flex board than take a bid time and get stuck on the dock.
Thats odd to me...we are fighting to get our 40. Coming in on Saturday morning to make up your hours on the dock definately sucks!

all us flex drivers in xcl have been workin our butts off for about the last 2 months. week before last i didn't work on wed, got 7 hrs on the dock thurs, ran l/h m,tu and f. still got 40+ that week. have run line haul every nite other than that, grossin just over 1k a week.

No Freight said:
Thats odd to me...we are fighting to get our 40. Coming in on Saturday morning to make up your hours on the dock definately sucks!
It will get better.

Question for the sr's or someone who knows how this really works.

What is the difference from being on the "flex board" or on the "Road Flex"?

xco_dsr said:

Don't get too used to driving, you will be used more in the city and on the dock as you near the middle of the board :(

xco_dsr said:
Question for the sr's or someone who knows how this really works.

What is the difference from being on the "flex board" or on the "Road Flex"?
it's actually city flex and road flex.
city flex you will work dock,city,day line-haul,and night Line-haul.
road flex you will work FAC dock or run night line-haul.