Here’s our first look at Uber Freight, Uber’s long-haul trucking venture

Those same tech guy's downplay manual labor as simple, but ask any of them to do it, and they fall flat on their face.

I work with a bunch of millenials, and they can do anything on a phone. But they don't have a clue how to change a u joint. Or a ball joint. Or trace a bad ground. They are literally worthless.

They are not worthless - they are smart and effective. You see a computer can do some operations much quicker than a human being.
Why not use it? We all know how the broker works - he gets a load - he starts calling his drivers trying to find out where he is right now and whether he can accept the load - he finds a driver - he calls shipper - he gets rate confirmations and the load is gone. It takes HOURS. A mobile app or a computer software can do in not even just in minutes. It can do it in seconds.

And what about the ball joint or so... If I am payed for developing computer soft, i will pay a person for changing whatever it may be. I concider it to be right.
Of cause if we truckers are payed for transportation, we should know how our truck works and how to fix it, but generally it is much better to pay a special trained professional.

They are not worthless - they are smart and effective. You see a computer can do some operations much quicker than a human being.
Why not use it? We all know how the broker works - he gets a load - he starts calling his drivers trying to find out where he is right now and whether he can accept the load - he finds a driver - he calls shipper - he gets rate confirmations and the load is gone. It takes HOURS. A mobile app or a computer software can do in not even just in minutes. It can do it in seconds.

And what about the ball joint or so... If I am payed for developing computer soft, i will pay a person for changing whatever it may be. I concider it to be right.
Of cause if we truckers are payed for transportation, we should know how our truck works and how to fix it, but generally it is much better to pay a special trained professional.

You miss my point, these kids that are so tech savvy don't look at anyone doing hands on work as a trained professional.

You miss my point, these kids that are so tech savvy don't look at anyone doing hands on work as a trained professional.
Maybe you are right, but we should not think of all of them this way. And maybe this kids can be called geeks, cause they are a bit crazy about the computer technologies.

Well then we all know only the Amish & some small communes in this country can resist technology.
For the most part technology has made things a lot easier for us,& I'm sure folks were squawking about a lot of the changes as they were happening.

However I've been wondering for a long while,that now that everything is becoming digital.
Should something,such as an explosion on the Sun,or a meteor takes out the satellites floating in space.
Then everything would just stop working,including electric grids,water supply lines,& every other technology we are all used to taking for-granted.

I guess that is when the Amish & folks that know how to live without technology will be able to survive a lot longer than the rest of us.
So to this topic,other than road safety issues,there probably is not much that will stop driver-less vehicles.
Just more technology we have to get used to.

Well then we all know only the Amish & some small communes in this country can resist technology.
For the most part technology has made things a lot easier for us,& I'm sure folks were squawking about a lot of the changes as they were happening.

However I've been wondering for a long while,that now that everything is becoming digital.
Should something,such as an explosion on the Sun,or a meteor takes out the satellites floating in space.
Then everything would just stop working,including electric grids,water supply lines,& every other technology we are all used to taking for-granted.

I guess that is when the Amish & folks that know how to live without technology will be able to survive a lot longer than the rest of us.
So to this topic,other than road safety issues,there probably is not much that will stop driver-less vehicles.

It is always easy to make a step back and to use old technology. It will be not so comfortable, but it will work. Still the digitization makes everything more effective. BTW digitization can help people to get higher paid jobs.

The Amish are not totally without technology. I go to a large seed corn operation of theirs in the Midwest, and have been up in their office to pickup paperwork, and see computers, microwaves,and cell phones...

The Amish are not totally without technology. I go to a large seed corn operation of theirs in the Midwest, and have been up in their office to pickup paperwork, and see computers, microwaves,and cell phones...
Wong told me that he is Mennonite and to deduct -15% from his check to go to his church.
But I see computers, microwaves, radar detectors, coffee makers, disco balls and DJ equipment in the Gold Hotel all the time.....:confused1:

Wong told me that he is Mennonite and to deduct -15% from his check to go to his church.
But I see computers, microwaves, radar detectors, coffee makers, disco balls and DJ equipment in the Gold Hotel all the time.....:confused1:
Really strange, because i've heard Amish are completely technologyless

yvLfDFF.jpg

My partner,and his son......