Central Transport | Here is an article from a Detroit media outlet on your new owner.

Jacknife18

Senile Member
Credits
DETROIT (WXYZ) - We aren’t sure if we should feel sorry for billionaire Matty Maroun or thank him for his generous holiday spirit! For the second year in a row he has lit up our world-wide symbol of blight -the old, rundown, Michigan Central Train Station he has owned since 1996. What a wonderful gift from a man who whines about everything. It’s hard to believe this is the same guy who says Governor Rick Snyder and the Canadian government are trying to ruin his monopoly and very profitable Ambassador Bridge business. It’s hard to believe this is the same entrepreneur who, along with his family, generously ciontributes hundreds of thousands of dollars to political candidates, officeholders and PAC’s, and is suing the Feds to try and block plans for a competing publicly owned bridge. There’s enough business at America’s busiest U.S. /Canadian border crossing to go around. You’re blaming everyone but yourself for the enemies and business problems you’ve encountered on both sides of the Detroit River. And now that the winter holiday season is upon us, you want to spread some good tiding and cheer by hanging twinkling lights in If you really want to make us happy and give our city a great gift, just renovate this property and the other eyesores you own and you can afford to spruce up! Happy holidays, Mr. Maroun!
I’m Ed Fernandez, Vice President & General Manager.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/opinio...idge-train-depot--holiday-cheer#ixzz2mhye3f8h

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems to me that he's hated for owning a bridge. If I made a fortune owning a bridge, I'd fight to protect my cash cow.

it seems to me that he's hated for owning a bridge. If I made a fortune owning a bridge, I'd fight to protect my cash cow.
It seems to me you didn't read the article. I'm a Capitalist. I have no problem that he's wealthy... none at all. I DO have a problem that he misuses that wealth to create even more wealth for himself while ruining a common working mans livelihood to do it. I think there is a point where one has so much wealth that the ethical thing to do is use it for good. He simply keeps swallowing up companies and properties at the expense of those working hard to pay their bills. There's a special place in Hell for that kinda guy. He's old. I'm sure he'll be enjoying his new "thermally enhanced" property soon. Few will miss him.

It seems to me you didn't read the article. I'm a Capitalist. I have no problem that he's wealthy... none at all. I DO have a problem that he misuses that wealth to create even more wealth for himself while ruining a common working mans livelihood to do it. I think there is a point where one has so much wealth that the ethical thing to do is use it for good. He simply keeps swallowing up companies and properties at the expense of those working hard to pay their bills. There's a special place in Hell for that kinda guy. He's old. I'm sure he'll be enjoying his new "thermally enhanced" property soon. Few will miss him.
I have distance myself from this issue for long enough....This man will someday die....All of us will someday die....When men act as if they will live forever by treating people as if they are some kind of tyrant they will be dealt with by the man upstairs and most certainly not by me or you...You see that's not our job. ....Tyranny will not prevail....History has taught us lessons on what happens to men like that....I really don't know if that is what you are suggesting or implying but all I can say is that is his karma and not yours.... Power driven men will someday check that ego when they enter the hereafter and the legacy they leave to their children will remain. We all come into this world alone and we will leave alone (some may need to think about that one)....We won't take anything with us....Humility is something you always hear me talk about....You need it to enter the Kingdom of Heaven....Look at Howard Hughes....This philanthropist had it all but died just like us all......See we all are going to die....We just need to stop acting as if we are not....Look at the history of Howard Hughes and how it ended for him....I refuse to judge any man because it's not my job. That job belongs to God almighty. When I stand before God almighty in the end I pray that he has mercy on my soul....As my health starts to fade and my time grows near you can better believe I plan to have my ego in check. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY MY BALANCE SHEET WILL BE SQUARE WITH THE HOUSE.

People make judgments all the time. If a man cheats you, you label that man a cheat and you no longer trust him. If you don't, you are simply asking to be cheated again. I'm making a judgement. The man is a cheat and a liar. Hate me for judging if you want, but I've never been afraid to speak the truth... not to drivers, not to supervisors, not to management, not to corporate, and not to you. I hate what this man has done to good men and their families and I'll voice my displeasure for him till you kick me off here. I've spoken truth. Nothing more, and nothing less.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

-Edmund Burke

People make judgments all the time. If a man cheats you, you label that man a cheat and you no longer trust him. If you don't, you are simply asking to be cheated again. I'm making a judgement. The man is a cheat and a liar. Hate me for judging if you want, but I've never been afraid to speak the truth... not to drivers, not to supervisors, not to management, not to corporate, and not to you. I hate what this man has done to good men and their families and I'll voice my displeasure for him till you kick me off here. I've spoken truth. Nothing more, and nothing less.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

-Edmund Burke
I respect that....This world would be pretty boring if we were all the same....Hate is such a strong word however, and most the time it hurts no one but yourself...But it's your life. The only difference between a flower and a weed is a judgment....And you won't get kicked off as long as you follow the rules of truckingboards like everyone else....It's all good....well mostly.

I'm perplexed. If you don't like it, why don't you leave? If you've left, what's your purpose posting so much negativity? My husband is a good man and nothing bad to my husband and his family. Losing a week's vacation? Whoopee. If they leave, they'll lose 3 weeks vacation. A cut in pay? Chances are they'd take a cut in pay going somewhere else.

The sky isn't falling at all terminals. It has become clear that most of the nasty stuff we're hearing is due to bad terminal managers, not the company at large. If those terminal managers are at the same terminals that aren't moving freight, they'll be losing their jobs soon eventually.

Your opinion and experience is just that---yours. Not everyone is working for the money. A cut in pay isn't as important to some people as other things, like keeping 3 weeks vacation, living within 15 minutes of a terminal, etc.

I don't know what you think you're going to accomplish by voicing your displeasure like a broken record until you get kicked off here. My husband cruised this site and read this stuff a month before I joined to ask my questions. He said he couldn't go by what people where posting here because the same five guys were posting negative stuff over and over. He saw through the crap immediately.

I don't care if the owner keeps his money for himself or gives it to charity. I don't care if he uses his money to influence politicians to keep his wealth secure. I don't live with him. I live with my husband. All I care about is if he has a job that he likes. So far, my husband is content because he is being treated well. If that changes, he'll look for a job. It's not really a big deal from our perspective.

You're not going to make my husband like or dislike his job. You don't have that power.

"....Not everyone is working for the money."

Well I guess that's where you and I differ. Money is EXACTLY what I'm working for. That is what pays the bills. That is what allows me to put food on the table. That is what allows my kids to go to college. I guess I must be one of the crazy few drivers on here that care about the numbers on my check. (...Silly me.) I guess I'm the only one who cares that the company I now work for doesn't have the integrity to be honest with me. (Again, how silly and petty of me.) I guess working every weekend next year to make (nearly) what I made this year is not anything to fret over either? ....yeah- you're probably right. Who cares about family time on the weekends anyway.
You say I don't have the power to make your husband like or dislike his job? You are right... I don't. And, I don't want that power. You know who does? -Central Transport! I'm glad you and your husband find the deal you got with Central to be satisfactory. I hope it stays that way for you... Truly I do. Your husband is a brother.

...And as much as you may dislike the way I come across on here, I have yet to be dishonest about anything I've said... And you should respect that- because it's more honesty than you've gotten from your new company.

I'm perplexed. If you don't like it, why don't you leave? If you've left, what's your purpose posting so much negativity? My husband is a good man and nothing bad to my husband and his family. Losing a week's vacation? Whoopee. If they leave, they'll lose 3 weeks vacation. A cut in pay? Chances are they'd take a cut in pay going somewhere else.

The sky isn't falling at all terminals. It has become clear that most of the nasty stuff we're hearing is due to bad terminal managers, not the company at large. If those terminal managers are at the same terminals that aren't moving freight, they'll be losing their jobs soon eventually.

Your opinion and experience is just that---yours. Not everyone is working for the money. A cut in pay isn't as important to some people as other things, like keeping 3 weeks vacation, living within 15 minutes of a terminal, etc.

I don't know what you think you're going to accomplish by voicing your displeasure like a broken record until you get kicked off here. My husband cruised this site and read this stuff a month before I joined to ask my questions. He said he couldn't go by what people where posting here because the same five guys were posting negative stuff over and over. He saw through the crap immediately.

I don't care if the owner keeps his money for himself or gives it to charity. I don't care if he uses his money to influence politicians to keep his wealth secure. I don't live with him. I live with my husband. All I care about is if he has a job that he likes. So far, my husband is content because he is being treated well. If that changes, he'll look for a job. It's not really a big deal from our perspective.

You're not going to make my husband like or dislike his job. You don't have that power.

Well I guess that's where you and I differ. Money is EXACTLY what I'm working for. That is what pays the bills. That is what allows me to put food on the table. That is what allows my kids to go to college. I guess I must be one of the crazy few drivers on here that care about the numbers on my check. (...Silly me.) I guess I'm the only one who cares that the company I now work for doesn't have the integrity to be honest with me. (Again, how silly and petty of me.) I guess working every weekend next year to make (nearly) what I made this year is not anything to fret over either? ....yeah- you're probably right. Who cares about family time on the weekends anyway.
You say I don't have the power to make your husband like or dislike his job? You are right... I don't. And, I don't want that power. You know who does? -Central Transport! I'm glad you and your husband find the deal you got with Central to be satisfactory. I hope it stays that way for you... Truly I do. Your husband is a brother.

...And as much as you may dislike the way I come across on here, I have yet to be dishonest about anything I've said... And you should respect that- because it's more honesty than you've gotten from your new company.
This is what makes truckingboards so great....Diversity.....The owner of this site has something really special. From politics to unions to just about anything a truckdriver would care to discuss. All he ask is you be civil to each other....Not a bad deal....As a moderator I see the best and worst of people. Many are very pragmatic while others just go with the flow...From a practicality stand point I view a job one way...If you refuse to change your job (if you don't like it) the only sensible thing you can do is practice liking it....That is from a practical stand point. As long as you stay where you are and tell yourself you have to do it because you've always done it, the only payoff you get is to defend your misery.

a billionaire elderly man who's too old to enjoy his wealth, most likely has no close friends and lives alone because too miserable to be with and is paranoid that someone is going to take his fortune. views life through a series of monitors that are showing his operating figures and the grounds of his estate.

I'm not disrespecting you. I feel terribly that this isn't working out for you. I'm just saying there are multiple solutions to the problem.

I'm not disrespecting you. I feel terribly that this isn't working out for you. I'm just saying there are multiple solutions to the problem.

I understand. (I never felt like you were disrespecting me.)

A wise man once said "Hurting people hurt people." It is true. Some of the things I've posted may be disheartening and even hurtful. Truth is- I am hurting also. I am sitting here asking myself how I am going to make ends meet and pay for my kids education. It was going to be hard anyway. Now...? Other drivers are asking themselves the same questions. Their crime? -Being loyal to a company who sold them out for years of service. To whom? A company with even less integrity. Hurting? Yes. Bitter? Yes. Peeeeeeeved beyond belief? You betcha.

I am sure I could be a bit more kind and subtle in the way I come across. I apologize for my demeanor. I do not apologize for the content.

A fellow driver once said something to me about never messing with another man's woman or his wallet. You can do just about anything to a driver and he'll just suck it up... but you mess with his woman or cheat him his money and you're opening a can you can't close. In this case, this has hurt our families and our ability to provide.

I've never been subtle. No one has ever accused me of it. Not even once...

I have a brother. He is a kindhearted soul. When someone in my family screws up and wants to feel like everything's going to be okay in the end- they call him. They say he makes them feel all warm and fuzzy about their mistake. I get it. I'm okay with it. Everyone wants to feel good. That said, when someone in my family makes a mistake and wants the truth about how bad they messed up and what they should do about it to minimize the damage- they call me. Every. Time. My brother and I love our family equally. He is wired to comfort. I am wired to protect. True story.
Over the past decade I've grown to love my Vitran brothers, sisters, and their families. I want to comfort them, but I cannot. I want to protect them, but again- I cannot. I am helpless to help, and it hurts... So I lash out at the ones that propagated this mess.

So sue me...

DETROIT (WXYZ) - We aren’t sure if we should feel sorry for billionaire Matty Maroun or thank him for his generous holiday spirit! For the second year in a row he has lit up our world-wide symbol of blight -the old, rundown, Michigan Central Train Station he has owned since 1996. What a wonderful gift from a man who whines about everything. It’s hard to believe this is the same guy who says Governor Rick Snyder and the Canadian government are trying to ruin his monopoly and very profitable Ambassador Bridge business. It’s hard to believe this is the same entrepreneur who, along with his family, generously ciontributes hundreds of thousands of dollars to political candidates, officeholders and PAC’s, and is suing the Feds to try and block plans for a competing publicly owned bridge. There’s enough business at America’s busiest U.S. /Canadian border crossing to go around. You’re blaming everyone but yourself for the enemies and business problems you’ve encountered on both sides of the Detroit River. And now that the winter holiday season is upon us, you want to spread some good tiding and cheer by hanging twinkling lights in If you really want to make us happy and give our city a great gift, just renovate this property and the other eyesores you own and you can afford to spruce up! Happy holidays, Mr. Maroun!
I’m Ed Fernandez, Vice President & General Manager.

WXYZ Editorial: Matty Maroun, Ambassador Bridge, Train Depot & Holiday Cheer

I read that article as well. Sounds like he has an agenda with Matty.

I read that article as well. Sounds like he has an agenda with Matty.

in Detroit who doesn't, he doesn't exactly have a citizen of the year reputation, his reputation is more like one that you wouldn't want your kids to be around, I personally have never met the man so I don't know if the reputation is earned or not, but what I saw at CT in my time there I'd say any good reputation is just the PR department working overtime.

I have distance myself from this issue for long enough....This man will someday die....All of us will someday die....When men act as if they will live forever by treating people as if they are some kind of tyrant they will be dealt with by the man upstairs and most certainly not by me or you...You see that's not our job. ....Tyranny will not prevail....History has taught us lessons on what happens to men like that....I really don't know if that is what you are suggesting or implying but all I can say is that is his karma and not yours.... Power driven men will someday check that ego when they enter the hereafter and the legacy they leave to their children will remain. We all come into this world alone and we will leave alone (some may need to think about that one)....We won't take anything with us....Humility is something you always hear me talk about....You need it to enter the Kingdom of Heaven....Look at Howard Hughes....This philanthropist had it all but died just like us all......See we all are going to die....We just need to stop acting as if we are not....Look at the history of Howard Hughes and how it ended for him....I refuse to judge any man because it's not my job. That job belongs to God almighty. When I stand before God almighty in the end I pray that he has mercy on my soul....As my health starts to fade and my time grows near you can better believe I plan to have my ego in check. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY MY BALANCE SHEET WILL BE SQUARE WITH THE HOUSE.

-Edmund Burke

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere. The measure of my life will not be in what I accumulate...But in what I give...To each their own.

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere. The measure of my life will not be in what I accumulate...But in what I give...To each their own.

I understand Train. Believe it or not- I really do. But UNLESS you accumulate, you CANNOT give. It's simple math. Me trading my own labor for money ALLOWS me to GIVE shelter, food, clothing, education, and so on.

Drivers are starting to see the company for what it is now. The integrity of the company is becoming apparent, and it will continue to become even more so. I will slowly ease my rant. Some drivers will survive (but not prosper) at Central. Some (like myself) will move on immediately and start to rebuild with a better company. Others will hold on too long with hopes of change (Hope and change... LOL- Sound familiar anyone?) and will be hurt in the long run. These guys (and their families) are the ones I worry about the most. But you are correct, Train- to each their own.

I understand Train. Believe it or not- I really do. But UNLESS you accumulate, you CANNOT give. It's simple math. Me trading my own labor for money ALLOWS me to GIVE shelter, food, clothing, education, and so on.

Drivers are starting to see the company for what it is now. The integrity of the company is becoming apparent, and it will continue to become even more so. I will slowly ease my rant. Some drivers will survive (but not prosper) at Central. Some (like myself) will move on immediately and start to rebuild with a better company. Others will hold on too long with hopes of change (Hope and change... LOL- Sound familiar anyone?) and will be hurt in the long run. These guys (and their families) are the ones I worry about the most. But you are correct, Train- to each their own.
To live your life the way you choose, you have to be a little rebellious. You have to be willing to stand up for what you believe.