Here is the main reason I don't play the lottery giving up your indenity to claim the winings.

i know she did, she should have gone to seek legal advice, first. if you ever took notice, many times, it is like weeks if not a few months, before someone cashes in the winning ticket. most likely, setting up barriers (of some sort) thru legal channels.

I would have to find a rattlesnake with a degree in law since there is not a lawyer on this planet I trust.

I would have to find a rattlesnake with a degree in law since there is not a lawyer on this planet I trust.
i know, but frankly, i have 3. yes, 3 attorneys.

actually 4, if i include a real estate attorney as well.

it would all be put into writing. of course, anyone of them, would get his fee.

Sure who wouldn't want to come into some really big pot of gold.
Although if it should happen to anyone they should have the right to spend it the way they want.
Without folks attempting to bleed it away from them.

The other rip off of lotteries,is that when you opt for a lump sum you get less then half of the total winnings.
Also you paid the tax on the dollars you spent on the tickets.
However after the US & state governments take out their share you even have less.

Yet One still has substantially MORE than the original cost of the playing card.

(Apostolic, Post # 17)
Yes I wouldn't mind coming into a lot of money, but it is not worth the hassle if everyone knew I had it.
True however like that person in court, if such "winner" took the appropriate steps to insure Confidentiality in collection of said "winnings", such steps would, possibly or probably ensure Privacy (except of course for immediate close Friends and Family who, one would hope, would not annihilate the implemented Privacy). Suggestions might be: Hiring a Bodyguard or 2, retaining a couple of Attorneys (one for Legal bits, one for Property {Will, Trustfund, Expenditures, etc.} BEFORE accessing newly acquired Wealth, but few People entertain such ideas (as far as my information allows), so they fall victim to "spend it on Partying then whine when they become Destitute (broke)".
If somehow the wife and/or I fell into such monetary affordability, WE would worry for not AND WE would be free of Bills as WE would not "buy expensive crap" to clearly show our new found affluence, yet WE would definitely MOVE out of our current abode.

Money Does Not Buy Happiness, But It Provides The Ability To Be Happy.