FedEx Freight | Here it is

I want to vote for the union...

• YES

Votes: 53 57.0%
  • NO

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK ANYMORE.

Votes: 12 12.9%

• Total voters
Does it actually cost the company more in unemployment when they lay people off? Im not sure how it works,but Im sure they pay into the pool all the time.

yes, they are responsible for a portion of your unemployment. Cheaper to starve them out and generally works to their advantage. People first.

With everyone's new found love for the company is it time for new Union vs Non-Union poll? I know my answer has changed!

BrysF150 said:
With everyone's new found love for the company is it time for new Union vs Non-Union poll? I know my answer has changed!

My answer has changed. With a few conditions.
1 We get our own contract. ( no NMFA BS)
2 Our own pension like UPS.
3 I hook and drop my own sets. We don't need to waste money on people to do our job.
4 If labor takes a loss in pay our representatives take a loss in pay. Equal or more than the highest paid member.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Clandestine_ice said:
yes, they are responsible for a portion of your unemployment. Cheaper to starve them out and generally works to their advantage. People first.

Dont be fooled you pay it. The company just acts as a middle mad by law. Same with SSI tax and workmanship comp.

fMissionman said:
Just curious. The company is throwing alot of people to the extra board, to possibly starve them out. so no unemployment right. My question is can you still collect unemployment if you get fired, if so I think I might just have to have some real good mispulls or something of that nature. Cause I'd be damned if I'd walk away without getting any money from this company, just because they dont want to pay unemployment.

Some states allow you to draw unemployment and still be employed. Say you go from 40 hours a week to 8 hours they will allow you to draw to make up some of the difference.

I think you should ask Yellow or ABF or CF drivers about why their Union reps allowed all those layoffs. No Union can stop a layoff or a reduction in force, nor should they be able to. FedEx is doing what they believe they must do to stay competitive. I think they're wrong but that's just my opinion. And I'm supporting the company knowing full well that in about 7 weeks I'll be laid off. I heard UPS Freight is hiring a lot of drivers. Something about them coming to the realization that trains and contractors are not the best use of manpower. HMMM maybe FredEx should take a lesson

HILLBILLY said:
My answer has changed. With a few conditions.
1 We get our own contract. ( no NMFA BS)
2 Our own pension like UPS.
3 I hook and drop my own sets. We don't need to waste money on people to do our job.
4 If labor takes a loss in pay our representatives take a loss in pay. Equal or more than the highest paid member.

You are right on target with all of this.

I think you should ask Yellow or ABF or CF drivers about why their Union reps allowed all those layoffs. No Union can stop a layoff or a reduction in force, nor should they be able to. FedEx is doing what they believe they must do to stay competitive. I think they're wrong but that's just my opinion. And I'm supporting the company knowing full well that in about 7 weeks I'll be laid off. I heard UPS Freight is hiring a lot of drivers. Something about them coming to the realization that trains and contractors are not the best use of manpower. HMMM maybe FredEx should take a lesson

I came from a union shop which I was laid off from. I know all about it. When I came here I didn't think this place needed one, but since I have changed my mind. To answer your question. Would the union stop a layoff? No, but you would be laid off instead of starved out as well as have a little protection as it seems here lately we need.

I too came from a union shop. I don't believe the union could or should be able to stop a layoff, BUT, with a contract you could set the terms of how it would work. For instance no more "starving out". Nmfa has determined length of time where a drivers earnings have to average a certain level. If not, that driver goes into layoff so they can get another job or unemployment, or the company must make up the difference in their pay checks. They also can not starve drivers off the seniority list after ninety days. Nmfa drivers retain their seniority for 5 years ( YRC drivers currently have 10 year retention due to their situation). A little protection of jobs around here wouldn't hurt.

If a union came in, what do you think will happen with PT? The way I understand it, it would not exist. Union drivers move union freight. It turns my stomach whenever I see a Barr Nunn trailer in my yard meanwhile, A fellow driver sits at home wondering how he/she is going to cover their bills next month.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a union came in, what do you think will happen with PT? The way I understand it, it would not exist. Union drivers move union freight. It turns my stomach whenever I see a Barr Nunn trailer in my yard meanwhile, A fellow driver sits at home wondering how he/she is going to cover their bills next month.

I agree! This is total crap. Funny thing is though, they keep cutting lanes, laying off or starving drivers, running a butt load of PT's yet oddly enough they still have their high ****ty rates in place. So mr. FedEx, where are all the savings going?

not to discourage the union talk but,
most of the union companys use pt and rail
but its decided at the bargaining table what percentage is to be used
most of them are around 10 - 15 %
just as fedex claims there using
being in the union doesnt guarantee wages,benefits,or how the company runs its business
it does however protect senior drivers,lazy drivers,
instead of letting guys who work there asses off lose there jobs why not cut the lazy , i dont have do that pos's
its just like the schools , pos teachers with tenure can keep on keeping on
pos gov workers keep there jobs, the whole things wrong
get rid of all the lazy mfr's
get rid of incompetent people in this company,
anybody who cant do there job should be gone
starting at the top

It may not be much, but at least it's a chance at some sort of negotiation. Right now all we have is "we are shoving this down your throat and up your :eck13: and you WILL like it!". As far as Lazy drivers go...Take a look around...I see plenty of them now. Perhaps some sort of incentive to make gate times or a type of production bonus can be given to stop the laziness, nothing huge, after all it's still your job to do this but something to keep you motivated. I'm not sure what, but something needs to keep the company in check as well as the employees to treat each other fairly.

It may not be much, but at least it's a chance at some sort of negotiation. Right now all we have is "we are shoving this down your throat and up your :eck13: and you WILL like it!". As far as Lazy drivers go...Take a look around...I see plenty of them now. Perhaps some sort of incentive to make gate times or a type of production bonus can be given to stop the laziness, nothing huge, after all it's still your job to do this but something to keep you motivated. I'm not sure what, but something needs to keep the company in check as well as the employees to treat each other fairly.

The ones who will be totally against it will be the well seasoned drivers with 15 plus years here who generally don't have to worry about losing their job.

The ones who will be totally against it will be the well seasoned drivers with 15 plus years here who generally don't have to worry about losing their job.
Exactly my point. As far as they are concerned, not much will change for them. They will stay on top of the heap and that will be reenforced. Not to mentioned those with 15 plus years are in the minority.

I have been in he union you know it ai't all that great the guy doing a good job will have a grievance filed aginst him or her by the one just getting by and then draw the pay for doing nothing seen it happen more than once I think if we want a unio the piolts union would be the way to go don't thing we would have to hard to try that just ask that union to represent us as well since we are an airline see what happens

lucy11 said:
I have been in he union you know it ai't all that great the guy doing a good job will have a grievance filed aginst him or her by the one just getting by and then draw the pay for doing nothing seen it happen more than once I think if we want a unio the piolts union would be the way to go don't thing we would have to hard to try that just ask that union to represent us as well since we are an airline see what happens

I think with us and the pilots we could command great strength. As someone else in here put "we would have them by the balls".

Our road manager can't figure out why are so mad. Oh and he's getting tired of us being mad. He is so disconnected from what goes on in there. He take care of his rental properties during the day more than he deals with problems with his department.