Hey GT

Discussion in 'General Food Service Discussion' started by Moneyman01, Jan 7, 2015.

1. MikeJ

MikeJ Well-Known Member

Gully transport of Quincy ILL
    http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/js_gully.htm
    In my owner operator thread I started in the lounge I said if I was going to be an O/O the FLD would be one of my choices.

Real quick look at this meat truck what an old school rig!
    http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/p..._haulers/b_and_b_packing_co_of_chicago_il.jpg

2. JRut

JRut Member

Gully still uses those FLD's!! They deliver to the Dr. Pepper plant in Irving, tx where I worked last year. Somebody said they keep them running with glider kits and refurbs. Those things are nice!

MikeJ likes this.
  3. MikeJ

MikeJ Well-Known Member

They sure do I guess to Gully Transport the old school FLDs were the best truck ever and when Freightliner discontinued the FLD Gully was ticked absolutely ticked. I think they wrote Freightliner a very strongly worded letter about there discontent. I guess Gully around the late 1990s early 2000s was an all Freightliner FLD fleet 100% I guess they tried to be 100% FLD forever, but in the mid 1990s the Freightliner FLD was on back order and Gully bought a couple Internationals and some Ford Aeromaxes. I guess the Internationals had lots of electrical trouble. The Fords though they said were fine.

Here's the post this is really a good page about Gully:
    http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/df_gully.htm

JRut likes this.
  4. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

It does my heart good to see a working cabover on the road, I just love them, so much history. Today I saw a Peterbilt with the big sleeper hauling pipe, I also saw a set back axle Freightliner cabover with the big flat top sleeper hauling cars, that is so neat to see!

JRut and MikeJ like this.
  5. MikeJ

MikeJ Well-Known Member

There's some steel hauler around here that has a black Kenworth cab over Aerodyne. I tell you what I can count the number of times on one hand I've seen an old school cab over Kenworth out on the road today. Those cab over Kenworth Aerodyne's that was the predecessor to W900.

JRut and grocerythrower like this.
  6. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

That would be sweet to see, my Dad worked for Werner for a spell and he had a sweet Peterbilt cabover, big sleeper with a king size bed, man, I remember sitting in that thing, it was a tall truck!

MikeJ likes this.
  7. JRut

JRut Member

I agree 100% i always love seeing them. With the huge truck population here in houston I see quite a few. Some days I don't see any, while another day I saw 11 in one day, yes I counted! I want an old freightliner coe one day. I dont know what I'd do with it, but it would be so cool to have a nice one to myself.

MikeJ likes this.
  8. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Well-Known Member

Did you ever sit in a clt 9000 ford cabover? We called them the 2 story ford.

9. JRut

JRut Member

Yes those Petes were huge! A day cab one for Basic energy pulled up next to me at the light. That driver had to be sitting atleast a foot and a half above me.

grocerythrower likes this.
  10. MikeJ

MikeJ Well-Known Member

Gosh all this cabover and old school truck talk makes me almost want to hang up the two wheeler and go out and haul freight.
    I've got an interview at GFS tomorrow, but after this thread I'm ready to call Gully up and see if I can me one of those old school FLDs to drive.

I can hang up my beer drivers uniform, put on my blue jeans and black Penn Central Tee Shirt and get a cowboy hat and hop in the old FLD knock that thing into 10th gear and keep it rolling. Now that's trucking!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    JRut and grocerythrower like this.
  11. JRut

JRut Member

I just want this. Is that too much to ask? I will settle for that argosy though :1036316054:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

grocerythrower and MikeJ like this.
  12. MikeJ

MikeJ Well-Known Member

You know one of those cab overs probably isn't outrageously expensive. Commercial trucks lose value fairly quickly I mean seriously you could probably get that white Freightliner for $9-$10 grand cash.

Figure those cab overs while cool to us the bean counters just look at them as depreciating assets and the company just looks at them as tools well technology marches on and the big companies go "All that stuff that's just old technology from 20-30 years ago get rid of it it's all economically and environmentally obsolete now."

13. Moneyman01

Moneyman01 Proud to be a dad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love that kenworth. I also like scania

grocerythrower and MikeJ like this.
  14. Moneyman01

Moneyman01 Proud to be a dad!

15. Banker

Banker Active Member

I agree with you Mike that Werner has had some sharp rigs. I saw this one in the American History Museum in Washington DC.
    [​IMG]

MikeJ likes this.
  16. MikeJ

MikeJ Well-Known Member

Today I saw a cab over Pete on I-480. It was white and pulling a canvas covered trailer.

17. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

The Werner Pete is nice but the sleeper is tiny, I need more room to trash around!! How am I supposed to fit 2 lot lizzards in that itty bitty thing?

Banker and MikeJ like this.
  18. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

I love the white Freightliner!!! Wow, thats an awesome cabover!!!

JRut likes this.