Yellow | Hey Tyson! Define "Local Cartage"!

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
Is a city driver at the RFO/CVE terminal considered "local cartage"? If so, why can't they transfer out to one of the gaining terminals since CVE/RFO is losing 6 from the "local cartage" boards? We know that CVE/RFO have split city and dock/yard boards, but the change just says "local cartage"! Can this be clarified at the change of ops meeting and the opportunity given to city drivers at CVE/RFO to transfer out if they want to? Rumor has it that Local 407 officials have said NO WAY since no city work is leaving, but this IS local cartage work leaving! City steward IS NOT attending but said he would put a call into the Freight Division on behalf of his drivers that are interested in transferring out! How about some feedback from other barns?!:chairshot:

dazed and confused...

I'd like to know why there are so many different rules, different pension plans, some terminals have one seniority list, some have split lists...Some dock workers have to wear steel toes, some don't...different attendance polices, the list goes on and on...And if YRC is keeping Yellow and Roadway seperate, why are they sharing terminals? Just merge and get it over with... One company,one union, one set of work rules, the same benefits for all...Sounds fair to me. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

At CNC we are not losing any city drivers , but, we have asked that they be included in the change with the opportunity to leave if they so chose. Our labor man and BA had NO objection to this as Local Cartage is defined as "encompassing the seniority lists of the dock, yard and city". When our BA/President ws asked by another member aboutstewards accompanying him to San Antonio he replied, NO, no one else is going from here either, maye just locals close to SanAntonio would hae stewards attending...With a change of this significance I would think that the locals would welcome at least one steward to go just so that they could help to answer questions when they get back and be able to give answers from a first hand basis.

I'd like to know why there are so many different rules, different pension plans, some terminals have one seniority list, some have split lists...Some dock workers have to wear steel toes, some don't...different attendance polices, the list goes on and on...And if YRC is keeping Yellow and Roadway seperate, why are they sharing terminals? Just merge and get it over with... One company,one union, one set of work rules, the same benefits for all...Sounds fair to me. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

That makes it harder to **** people and take advantage of them, in general. At the same time, I'm sure its not so simple.... :sheep:

circle-of-trust.gif

At CNC we are not losing any city drivers , but, we have asked that they be included in the change with the opportunity to leave if they so chose. Our labor man and BA had NO objection to this as Local Cartage is defined as "encompassing the seniority lists of the dock, yard and city". When our BA/President ws asked by another member aboutstewards accompanying him to San Antonio he replied, NO, no one else is going from here either, maye just locals close to SanAntonio would hae stewards attending...With a change of this significance I would think that the locals would welcome at least one steward to go just so that they could help to answer questions when they get back and be able to give answers from a first hand basis.
It's too bad your stewards couldn't attend! Our local is in pretty decent shape financially, and has almost always allowed at least a few stewards to attend and reimburse their wages, and pay the plane fare, expenses, etc..Our workers would probably take up a collection to help defray expenses if we had to! That's how important a change of ops like this is! Make sure that your B.A. get's that question about your "city drivers" being allowed to bid on U.E. jobs "read into the record"! FIGHT THE POWER!:USA:

Is a city driver at the RFO/CVE terminal considered "local cartage"? If so, why can't they transfer out to one of the gaining terminals since CVE/RFO is losing 6 from the "local cartage" boards? We know that CVE/RFO have split city and dock/yard boards, but the change just says "local cartage"! Can this be clarified at the change of ops meeting and the opportunity given to city drivers at CVE/RFO to transfer out if they want to? Rumor has it that Local 407 officials have said NO WAY since no city work is leaving, but this IS local cartage work leaving! City steward IS NOT attending but said he would put a call into the Freight Division on behalf of his drivers that are interested in transferring out! How about some feedback from other barns?!:chairshot:

"Local Cartage" has always been the term used to refer to city driver's, yard, and dock's contract.

"Local Cartage" has always been the term used to refer to city driver's, yard, and dock's contract.

Yes but, some locals set up the seniority lists separately to protect their workers, like forming a city driver list. This city driver list doesn't gain work on changes so nobody can transfer in, they also don't lose work so nobody can transfer out. You are complaining about something set up to protect you. The down side is you can't move easily on changes.
If the members want to change that it needs to be done at your local level, the international has nothing to do with it.

If you are not loosing any freight on the change then it would not be fair to other locals that are loosing freight for you to use your seniority and possibly keep them from transfering to keep there job

Yes but, some locals set up the seniority lists separately to protect their workers, like forming a city driver list. This city driver list doesn't gain work on changes so nobody can transfer in, they also don't lose work so nobody can transfer out. You are complaining about something set up to protect you. The down side is you can't move easily on changes.
If the members want to change that it needs to be done at your local level, the international has nothing to do with it.

They still work under the same supplement