XPO | High cube van warning

XCCX

TB Legend
Credits
We have 2 new high cube vans at our location that measure 13'6" exactly with 22.5 tires and over 13'6" with 24.5 tires. We have 8 tractors with 24.5 tractors in use daily . There is NO WARNING sign as posted on pups! We have had no warning from supervision that this exist and the potential hazard . These trailers all have drivers side gear and glad hands. No safe stack or securing hooks.

Please use caution when hooking to these and measure your overall height if unsure.

" SAFETY FIRST "

Last edited:
We have 2 new high cube vans at our location that measure 13'6" exactly with 22.5 tires and over 13'6" with 24.5 tires. We have 8 tractors with 24.5 tractors in use daily . There is NO WARNING sign as posted on pups! We have had no warning from supervision that this exist and the potential hazard . These trailers all have drivers side gear and glad hands. No safe stack or securing hooks.

Please use caution when hooking to these and measure your overall height if unsure.

" SAFETY FIRST "
Thank you.

Everyone need to know their equipment. I been in this to long and the one thing every company I worked for said is "you are the driver it is your responsible to check and make sure you are legal"

Everyone need to know their equipment. I been in this to long and the one thing every company I worked for said is "you are the driver it is your responsible to check and make sure you are legal"
It's also the companies responsibility to make sure equipment is safe for the roads in any combination and if not educate and warn people if such combinations are a hazard . In this particular case this van is not marked with any warning. There is a complete disconnect withe communication. Why do we have a safety department .

It's also the companies responsibility to make sure equipment is safe for the roads in any combination and if not educate and warn people if such combinations are a hazard . In this particular case this van is not marked with any warning. There is a complete disconnect withe communication. Why do we have a safety department .
Safety man told one of the city drivers that the company is phasing out the high profile tires/rims to correct the equipment incompatibility.

No word on how long this will take and lack of communication of the issue to drivers.

Even though social media (like Trucking Boards) helps fill in the gaps , official , clear , messaging from the top is what a high quality , multinational , big-boy , grown-up company would and should do. Whoever is in charge of these things should step up and take charge an earn that big check.

Safety man told one of the city drivers that the company is phasing out the high profile tires/rims to correct the equipment incompatibility.

No word on how long this will take and lack of communication of the issue to drivers.

Even though social media (like Trucking Boards) helps fill in the gaps , official , clear , messaging from the top is what a high quality , multinational , big-boy , grown-up company would and should do. Whoever is in charge of these things should step up and take charge an earn that big check.
They have no time for interacting or communicating with drivers unless it comes you wanting to organize your work place than theres nothing on their calendar they want to communicate like crazy and lets not forget the plentiful time they have to f with the terminals when you do organize. Makes you kinda wonder what their intentions for the future are .

XPO is not a driver oriented company

" SAFETY FIRST "

Permanent marker or paint marker. Nobody has to know who did it.

They have no time for interacting or communicating with drivers unless it comes you wanting to organize your work place than theres nothing on their calendar they want to communicate like crazy and lets not forget the plentiful time they have to f with the terminals when you do organize. Makes you kinda wonder what their intentions for the future are .

XPO is not a driver oriented company
A safety alert dovetails into unionism? It was a heads-up, nothing more. Keep it simple.

If your barn has ever rented trailers and you pulled them with 24.5 tires I guarantee you were over 13'6". I'm sure no one said anything about them.
Its their truck while it in the yard its yours while it on the street. Make sure it right before you leave because once you roll out that gate every ticket is in your name.

The 24.5 tires are called standard aspect tire size instead of low profile. And west of interstate 29, and 35 south of kansas city, the heighth is 14 feet. You did not put a location, but out west not a problem, out east problem, yes.

" SAFETY FIRST "
I don't need a terminal manager to tell me what's going on.

5xw7myc.jpg

The vans being referred to here are not mark as pictured.( at least ours aren't) Only the high cube pups are marked as such .

Even with 22.5 tires, if I come up on any bridge marked less than 13'10", the 4-ways come on and I pull up to it and stop to make sure I will clear it..
You would have to stop quite a few times along our entire Turnpike system alone because all our bridges are marked 13'6"

I don't need a terminal manager to tell me what's going on.
That's good for you but unfortunately not everyone may be as focused and might assume that a company would not have combinations that could create such hazards. I don't believe we ever had combinations of this potential from the beginning of con-way.
To ask for a memo, meeting or warning signs on ALL trailers is not a lot and quite frankly I think not doing so is unforgivable and irresponsible for any company particularly one as large as this.