XPO | High cube van warning

Let me remind everyone not only is your responsibility to know what's safe also. It's your responsibility to point out what is not safe . You can't assume that the company will do the right thing always. To sit back and not warn of a potential hazard when seen is not right.

Let me remind everyone not only is your responsibility to know what's safe also. It's your responsibility to point out what is not safe . You can't assume that the company will do the right thing always. To sit back and not warn of a potential hazard when seen is not right.
Absolutely. So who at XPO did you report this to so they can get to fixing it?

UVjm2ai.jpg
Thank you, mud.

That's good for you but unfortunately not everyone may be as focused and might assume that a company would not have combinations that could create such hazards. I don't believe we ever had combinations of this potential from the beginning of con-way.
To ask for a memo, meeting or warning signs on ALL trailers is not a lot and quite frankly I think not doing so is unforgivable and irresponsible for any company particularly one as large as this.
Even the best have bad days and miss things here or there.

Then there are some people who drive that show up to the job everyday ( I won't call them drivers or say they show up for work because neither statement is true ) that simply do not get it and need to have someone spell everything out for them.

Even the best have bad days and miss things here or there.

Then there are some people who drive that show up to the job everyday ( I won't call them drivers or say they show up for work because neither statement is true ) that simply do not get it and need to have someone spell everything out for them.
One day some of these so called drivers will know the difference between a Pro truck driver and a steering wheel holder.

That's what I was wondering. Hard to believe,every bridge is 13'6" on a pike.

I'm not sure any of the bridges are 13'6". But I do know here in Ohio they won't let you on the toll road if the gate measures you to tall. You can have a bent piece of metal up there just sticking up enough and you'll have to get up there and bend it down. They got lasers or something and the gate won't open.

So I had the pleasure last night. It was my lead. Tire height was not an issue. Backwards landing gear is no different in the yard. Would suck on the side of the road. But hooking and dropping, it's whatever.

The hooking of the air lines from the tractor. I have to walk over and pull them out of the bucket and throw them across the cat walk to walk back around and hook them up on the driver side. Annoying. But they are paying me. It's their money.

Checking the fifth wheel. There is a massive and wide beam on the landing gear. Right where I need to be looking to check my hook. Difficult to see the king pin. And when you do your view is not clear. I thought we were trying to cut down on dropped trailers ? Also the handle to crank the legs is now offending my path under the trailer and the gap between the landing gear and the aero skirt is noticeably lessened. So, it's an issue getting under the trailer on a beautiful summer day. It's going to be hell in bad weather.

The hooking of the dolly. The pintle hook is covered and almost shrouded by a lip of metal on the rear of the trailer. Many of us " hammer " the clasp with the chain to insure it's down. Your angle to do so now is treacherous. And is more of a sideways swipe than a downward stroke. Also the hook is difficult to see and inspect. The same lip interferes with you hooking in the red line from the dolly. And the blue line must be tucked under the dolly to come over to the drivers side. I went in front of the leg at first and looking at it, didn't like that at all. So I ran it behind the leg. Seemed okay. Some sort of training as to how to handle that situation would be nice. I can see people not knowing what to do and being " out of sequence " making a poor decision. Somewhere along the way on this process. Without realizing it.

My two cents.

So I had the pleasure last night. It was my lead. Tire height was not an issue. Backwards landing gear is no different in the yard. Would suck on the side of the road. But hooking and dropping, it's whatever.

The hooking of the air lines from the tractor. I have to walk over and pull them out of the bucket and throw them across the cat walk to walk back around and hook them up on the driver side. Annoying. But they are paying me. It's their money.

Checking the fifth wheel. There is a massive and wide beam on the landing gear. Right where I need to be looking to check my hook. Difficult to see the king pin. And when you do your view is not clear. I thought we were trying to cut down on dropped trailers ? Also the handle to crank the legs is now offending my path under the trailer and the gap between the landing gear and the aero skirt is noticeably lessened. So, it's an issue getting under the trailer on a beautiful summer day. It's going to be hell in bad weather.

The hooking of the dolly. The pintle hook is covered and almost shrouded by a lip of metal on the rear of the trailer. Many of us " hammer " the clasp with the chain to insure it's down. Your angle to do so now is treacherous. And is more of a sideways swipe than a downward stroke. Also the hook is difficult to see and inspect. The same lip interferes with you hooking in the red line from the dolly. And the blue line must be tucked under the dolly to come over to the drivers side. I went in front of the leg at first and looking at it, didn't like that at all. So I ran it behind the leg. Seemed okay. Some sort of training as to how to handle that situation would be nice. I can see people not knowing what to do and being " out of sequence " making a poor decision. Somewhere along the way on this process. Without realizing it.

My two cents.
I agree with some sort of training or a posting, maybe a video so there's some kind of standard process . Right now there seems to be a lack of management in operations, safety and communication it not really surprising.
Thanks for your evaluation I experienced the same.

I agree with some sort of training or a posting, maybe a video so there's some kind of standard process . Right now there seems to be a lack of management in operations, safety and communication it not really surprising.
Thanks for your evaluation I experienced the same.
Safety seems down right now. In there defense they are busy right now with the elog roll out. Safety managers are out at a terminal a week at a time 5 am to 10 pm reviewing logs and such. I asked our safety guy if he has had any new pups dropped because it does throw off your whole standard routine. Kinda get lost hooking for a moment.

Safety seems down right now. In there defense they are busy right now with the elog roll out. Safety managers are out at a terminal a week at a time 5 am to 10 pm reviewing logs and such. I asked our safety guy if he has had any new pups dropped because it does throw off your whole standard routine. Kinda get lost hooking for a moment.
Safety has seem to be down for quite awhile in our area anyway.

A training video!!! What are we 6yrs old? I have to ask did Conway have a training video on how to take a ::shit:: the Conway way. Did Conway have a trading video when they starting buying freightliner trucks? Wow this industry is going to the dogs. Holly crap I driving a kenworth sleeper truck today and all the switch's are in different places I should have had a trading video before I drove this.

Last edited:
A training video!!! What are we 6yrs old? I have to ask did Conway have a training video on how to take a :::shit::: the Conway way. Did Conway have a trading video when they starting buying freightliner trucks? Wow this industry is going to the dogs. Holly crap I driving a kenworth sleeper truck today and all the switch's are in different places I should have had a trading video before I drove this.
How about a puppet show or a play? ....
What I meant buy video was not a mention in a video. Could get my thoughts together when typing .. happens at my age. ::shit:: come to think of it though we had videos of how to load a trailer back in the day ...commen sense but you can't take it for granite people know or have it and we did have videos how to check a fithwheel to see if was locked.

Last edited:
we did have videos how to check a fithwheel to see if was locked.

They also had a 5th wheel plate mounted on a little rolling cart that they would send from center to center to educate the drivers on what to look for on the newest style 5th wheel locking mech

Last edited:
Yes they did have that out to our place quite a few times . I have to remember a lot of guys have not been around long enough to know.
In these times where we are hiring people with no experience you think that it might be wise to step it up when it comes to training but than again that cost mone and we are definitely on a tight budget.

My two cents.
I totally agree that you need to have a certain routine and process for hooking up and dropping out. I don't want anyone even talking to me while I am doing this job, because I need to be 110 percent present in the moment and scrutinize every action.

A training video!!! What are we 6yrs old? I have to ask did Conway have a training video on how to take a :::shit::: the Conway way. Did Conway have a trading video when they starting buying freightliner trucks? Wow this industry is going to the dogs. Holly crap I driving a kenworth sleeper truck today and all the switch's are in different places I should have had a trading video before I drove this.

Took me 15 minutes to start an automatic city tractor the first time. Didn't know about holding the brake pedal. A simple pre-shift mention of the new equipment and it's differences. All I am asking. As others have mentioned, they have dedicated full videos on lesser subjects.