ABF | Hiring and sitting

Abfrocks

TB Lurker
Credits
I know some of you have your thoughts and that's what I'm looking for. Why is ABF hiring more road drivers and putting more and more on the scabs while new hires sit. Whoever is in charge of this ship has lost their mind!!!!!

I know some of you have your thoughts and that's what I'm looking for. Why is ABF hiring more road drivers and putting more and more on the scabs while new hires sit. Whoever is in charge of this ship has lost their mind!!!!!
Maybe it has something to do with that new guy from Conway?

Wasn't Mike Moss an old Roadway hand?

Not sure of that, but he came from FedEx to ABF not that long ago. Notice all of these changes within ABF in the last year? I have not read much of anything good about him and I have actually met him once and my first impression wasn't that great. I just find it funny how anti union FedEx corporate is but they can come get jobs at union carriers?? Just funny...

FedEx, Conway, same thing. LOL, yeah that's the guy.

You mean like the meet and turns? Yep, we've noticed, how many have connected the dots though?

I started to a while ago. Road drivers would come in and spread the gossip and tell us about going to meet and turn instead of being out overnight. I can understand wanting to say hotel costs. And I am pretty sure a veteran road driver would love to do a meet and turn and be home every night instead of being out all week. However, the implementation process has left a lot to be desired. As stated, one hand does not know what the other is doing. We are getting late freight in, we are getting freight that is due next week, and some trailers are loaded like ass. We got a timekeeper in late in the afternoon that had to be delivered by 5. Wonder who F'd that all up? We didn't deliver it nor unload it. This ::shit:: keeps up and we will lose customers and more guys will be laid off. Maybe that is why there is a hire and sit mode right now... Keep em on standby. It feels so chaotic right now that it sucks.

ABF will look for anything or anybody to change. change costs.. people costs. costs look good before negotiating, failed change looks good. The guys name on our recent linehaul change was an ex failed CF guy that moved onto a non union co. Things were really good before Judy, freight levels screaming high, now not so much, its a maniplulate here, manipulate there. exhausted here, hold this run that, ship on PT, its a cluster.. micro managed mess.. JUDY.. If someone can see, she is bringing down what could be the largest and most powerful LTL co in existence.. her focus is to eliminate costs, not make money..BAD leadership..

I can understand wanting to say hotel costs. And I am pretty sure a veteran road driver would love to do a meet and turn and be home every night instead of being out all week. However, the implementation process has left a lot to be desired.
I would agree that a smooth running meet and turn would benefit both the company and the driver but things have to run smoothly for that to happen and when they don't I can see how it could create a mess. With freight being a just in time business anymore things ship late and have to be there ASAP. I would expect many meet and turns to stretch legal (and human) limits and should one of the two involved in the meet and turn not get out on time it's, "oops", then what do we do? Are the drivers and the company primed to make it a straight through and an overnighter for the drivers? They should be able to run it straight through, but then what about the return load? It would be a long layover 'til the next night's freight is ready to roll for the next straight through. Or you can just cut the load(s) for running, less than loaded, hot freight not on board, etc. Sometimes it seems that these people are unable to see the whole picture.

I would agree that a smooth running meet and turn would benefit both the company and the driver but things have to run smoothly for that to happen and when they don't I can see how it could create a mess. With freight being a just in time business anymore things ship late and have to be there ASAP. I would expect many meet and turns to stretch legal (and human) limits and should one of the two involved in the meet and turn not get out on time it's, "oops", then what do we do? Are the drivers and the company primed to make it a straight through and an overnighter for the drivers? They should be able to run it straight through, but then what about the return load? It would be a long layover 'til the next night's freight is ready to roll for the next straight through. Or you can just cut the load(s) for running, less than loaded, hot freight not on board, etc. Sometimes it seems that these people are unable to see the whole picture.

These are all things that need to be taken into consideration when going to meet and turn. If they haven't thought about late departures or call outs, then meet and turn should not be on the table. The terminals involved with the meets need to communicate with each other and linehaul. The sooner late departures or call outs are communicated, the better the chances are to utilize plan B. Maybe the meet and turns should be started with not so hot freight and see how it works out. Then when they see how it goes, then they can start pushing hot freight through and slowly make adjustments. Let the UE drivers handle the HV freight that REALISTICALLY can be handled in 1 or 2 days as intended. Let the road guys do meet and turn with Upacks, volume trailers and other non time pressed freight. In all honesty, this due date BS with ABF is rediculous. If they would just get back to the basics and deliver the freight when it comes in, there would be less holdups with trailers and less freight sitting on the dock and waiting. Appointment freight aside, they really need to just deliver the dam freight and stop this horse crap of sending freight to a terminal a week before it is due. Why leave a trailer sit in a yard for a week for nothing? Makes no sense. Deliver the freight and get the trailer to the next customer. Sounds so simple but sure seems so difficult at times. I guess the point I am getting at is this... get your due date crap in order, prioritize the freight properly, and that will impact how you run your line haul. Do it right and you can be profitable and your employees won't feel so stressed out and question the stupid stuff. Ultimately, your customer service will soar. And that my friends can mean less layoffs and making ABF a more desirable company to work for. This could also mean that new hires won't sit. Imagine that?

They have "Golden Parachutes" for when they screw up the company with all the theoretical freight ...."handling".......

We have.....layoffs...

Oh,.....and the blame, too..If it fails, it's naturally our fault..

.This is the world's second oldest occupation. You pick stuff up here and set it down over there....... Nowadays, we just have larger equipment to pick up more stuff. Not Rocket Science..........yet the ones with degrees hanging on their office walls are absolutely convinced they are much more important than the one who actually picks things up and puts them down.........

Amen. Couldn
They have "Golden Parachutes" for when they screw up the company with all the theoretical freight ...."handling".......

We have.....layoffs...

.This is the world's second oldest occupation. You pick stuff up here and set it down over there....... Nowadays, we just have larger equipment to pick up more stuff. Not Rocket Science..........yet the ones with degrees hanging on their office walls are absolutely convinced they are much more important than the one who actually picks things up and puts them down.........[/QUOTE. Amen. Couldn't agree more

We have.....layoffs...

.This is the world's second oldest occupation. You pick stuff up here and set it down over there....... Nowadays, we just have larger equipment to pick up more stuff. Not Rocket Science..........yet the ones with degrees hanging on their office walls are absolutely convinced they are much more important than the one who actually picks things up and puts them down.........

That's right... We are the fall guys... **** enough customers off and they will go elsewhere. All of a sudden, your terminal is a little heavy on drivers... Those new hires that just got into the swing of things... Time to sit, we'll call you if we need you, if you want to work. If they would handle the freight better by routing it more efficiently, then we can handle the freight better and do what we have to do. Sounds like a win-win to me.

That's right... We are the fall guys... **** enough customers off and they will go elsewhere. All of a sudden, your terminal is a little heavy on drivers... Those new hires that just got into the swing of things... Time to sit, we'll call you if we need you, if you want to work. If they would handle the freight better by routing it more efficiently, then we can handle the freight better and do what we have to do. Sounds like a win-win to me.
We're not in the freight business anymore, we are in the numbers business and those at the top have no hands on experience in the field. Now, get your ass out there and offload that mulch before the sun goes down and the temps dip below 90.

We're not in the freight business anymore, we are in the numbers business and those at the top have no hands on experience in the field. Now, get your ass out there and offload that mulch before the sun goes down and the temps dip below 90.

Haha... It's more like... Get your ass back on the dock, break some freight, load some freight, and sweep up... Yeah, dock man this morning...