SAIA | Hiring Current Union Employees

Do they consider current union employees ?
We do have some former Teamsters working for us that had been out of work awhile but as far as current members my guess would be no. Now I don’t work in HR so I can’t say for sure so it wouldn’t hurt to go online and fill out an application. The worst thing that could happen is they don’t call you back. SAIA is rather paranoid about guys trying to organize. If you work out of LTL and not at the competition and not in the Teamsters union then you’re chances would be much greater at getting on. I know that’s probably not what you want to hear but it is just the truth IMO.

Last edited:
Is it one day? I've heard two days and I've also heard a day and a half. Never been real clear. Always figured it's really just based on centrals needs.
Ive been gone from Sunday night and did not get home untill the following Saturday morning more than i cared for. Is that normal now ? Coudnt say ,its been more than 10 yrs since ive been in system. You are always suppose to pack for the week just in case.

Ive been gone from Sunday night and did not get home untill the following Saturday morning more than i cared for. Is that normal now ? Coudnt say ,its been more than 10 yrs since ive been in system. You are always suppose to pack for the week just in case.
I run basically the same unless I am covering a schedule. Leave Sunday or Monday and come home saturday.

We do have some former Teamsters working for us that had been out of work awhile but as far as current members my guess would be no. Now I don’t work in HR so I can’t say for sure so it wouldn’t hurt to go online and fill out an application. The worst thing that could happen is they don’t call you back. SAIA is rather paranoid about guys trying to organize. If you work out of LTL and not at the competition and not in the Teamsters union then you’re chances would be much greater at getting on. I know that’s probably not what you want to hear but it is just the truth IMO.
I think that is the untold truth at a lot of the non unions and if your age is getting on the higher side it is even worse! It's the old "will call you" but don't hold your breath!

The system drivers will only get assigned trucks if that particular terminal manager cares to assign them. You also won't be short of work, as they are so strapped for drivers that most of the system guys are being run ragged 6 days a week (which is also part of the reason we can't keep system drivers to begin with)

I think that is the untold truth at a lot of the non unions and if your age is getting on the higher side it is even worse! It's the old "will call you" but don't hold your breath!
Unfortunately union jobs are the lowest paying in the industry. Often with the oldest rolling garbage for equipment and filthy terminals...
They take their dues paying members for fools, collecting monthly dues to make the union goons rich.
Not sure if I'd want to hire anyone that dumb....

Unfortunately union jobs are the lowest paying in the industry. Often with the oldest rolling garbage for equipment and filthy terminals...
They take their dues paying members for fools, collecting monthly dues to make the union goons rich.
I'm outside the top 30 on the seniority list at my terminal and I'm on pace to make a little over 100k this year in a tractor with 200k miles....

You do realize that UPS is a union company don't you? You also realize that companies like Holland Yellow and Roadway were awesome companies to work for ten or twenty years ago? You do realize that fifteen years ago most of these companies would have not even given a guy like you an application! Yes YRC has really screwed things up lately but please don't try and group all union companies together and imply that those drivers are dumb!