XPO | Hiring freeze

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
Since XPO took over , in my area , we are supposed to be under a hiring freeze ( for drivers ). People can be hired if it goes up to the VP level.

Yet I see ads for other divisions of our company ( some on Truckingboards ) I've heard ads on the radio ( America's Trucking Network iHeart radio ) and I see them on the job websites ( Indeed , career builder , etc. )

I wonder why the restrictions on the freight side and not the other divisions.

Since XPO took over , in my area , we are supposed to be under a hiring freeze ( for drivers ). People can be hired if it goes up to the VP level.

Yet I see ads for other divisions of our company ( some on Truckingboards ) I've heard ads on the radio ( America's Trucking Network iHeart radio ) and I see them on the job websites ( Indeed , career builder , etc. )

We cost to much. Simple as that.

They want to haul your freight cheaper... I'm afraid you are going to have to get use to it. It is the new thing for all of us in the LTL industry...

We cost to much. Simple as that.
I agree that LTL is more costly. But almost every Account Executive/sales person pushes LTL as a premium service - you pay more to get more. Supposedly.

We are a division of XPO Logistics now , why spend money advertising job openings for one division over another?

Even if we have a hiring freeze , it's not everywhere.

Last edited:
They want to haul your freight cheaper... I'm afraid you are going to have to get use to it. It is the new thing for all of us in the LTL industry...
I can't agree with that. For over a decade we've been warned of a looming driver shortage. If you work in LTL , or have worked in LTL , and you look around , everyone is in there 50's and 60's with a few younger people sprinkled in. The hours are unpredictable/long and you have exposure to the elements = few women drivers. Where will they get new drivers from?

The LTL companies ( in my opinion ) don't care about how much it costs to haul freight-within reason ( they just pass the costs to the customers - can you say fuel surcharge? )

My opinion is that maybe Mr.Jacobs is still putting the pieces of his whole service offerings together and then begin a massive 'cross selling'
campaign. Why do I think this? Well, my SCM said that going forward everybody will more or less be involved in sales. Something like what
Conway did years ago with DSR's engaging in '30 second sales calls' when out and about on P&D routes,(basically talking up service times,
coverage area, low damage issues, etc...I know cause they trained us and asked us to do that kind of selling way back then at my barn).And then
secondly, I suspect that the plans are not yet finalized for cross selling. Why? I asked my regional sales manager when he was going to start
giving us sales literature and training us on how he wants us to get involved in some kind of a new 30 second sales call going forward and he
said, "Just chill out for a while cause it's still being worked on".

Bottom line...I guess XPO LTL will take off when everybody,(DSR;s and SCM's), begins engaging in cross selling all of XPO's service offerings,( and the economy picks up, and we get better weather and into the busy season). At least that's what I hope!

But as always...we'll just have to wait on this speculative thinking and see what really transpires. :popcorn:

sVtEdmU.jpg

I know XPO Logistics freight division is hiring - they are even hiring in my area. Even though I see it and you see it , the story that management in my area is going with is hiring freeze. Need to be approved by a VP to hire someone. Makes no sense. We have layed off dock workers , HR people , and a few drivers ( with the closing of a terminal nearby ) It doesn't make a lot of sense. We layed off a HR person and now we have a posting ( in the same area for a HR person ) Hard to follow the thinking behind the moves , but you have to guess it leads to saving the rest of the $200 million.

I can't agree with that. For over a decade we've been warned of a looming driver shortage. If you work in LTL , or have worked in LTL , and you look around , everyone is in there 50's and 60's with a few younger people sprinkled in. The hours are unpredictable/long and you have exposure to the elements = few women drivers. Where will they get new drivers from?

The LTL companies ( in my opinion ) don't care about how much it costs to haul freight-within reason ( they just pass the costs to the customers - can you say fuel surcharge? )

The next few years in trucking will be very interesting.

The old guard will move on or pass on. None of us can do anything for forever.

The YRC bills come due. Another round of give backs ?

Across the board logs. Electronic logs will put everyone on one playing field with hours of service.

No Hiring freeze where I work. We have a class of driver trainees getting ready to hit the streets with plans to start another as soon as they get enough bodies. We're also looking to hire a number of drivers right off the street. Perhaps the hiring freezes are local in nature.

No Hiring freeze where I work. We have a class of driver trainees getting ready to hit the streets with plans to start another as soon as they get enough bodies. We're also looking to hire a number of drivers right off the street. Perhaps the hiring freezes are local in nature.

Where is this ? There are a few thousand drivers that might be interested in a transfer just to get 40 hours.

Where is this ? There are a few thousand drivers that might be interested in a transfer just to get 40 hours.
Without giving away my SIC, I am located in medium sized industrialized area within the Great Lakes Region. What keeps us going, IMO, is the nature of our freight. Right now, the push is agriculture with planting season coming up, so presently, our volume is above normal. But aside from that, we're also steady year around because much of which is produced in my locale, are components which are used by factory production lines all over the country in final assembly processes.

Without giving away my SIC, I am located in medium sized industrialized area within the Great Lakes Region. What keeps us going, IMO, is the nature of our freight. Right now, the push is agriculture with planting season coming up, so presently, our volume is above normal. But aside from that, we're also steady year around because much of which is produced in my locale, are components which are used by factory production lines all over the country in final assembly processes.
How busy is your terminal now? Are you loosing any big accounts? Is your terminal still hiring?

When I talk to the linehaul drivers they say they see no new drivers at the FACs.

So , are we still in a hiring freeze?

There is a lot larger turnover rate on the truckload side than the LTL side. XPO Truckload (like all other big box truckload carriers) is constantly looking for fresh fish to fill the trucks because the fresh fish from last month have churned to another big box truckload carrier to fill their empty seats because their fresh fish from the month before have churned to another big box truckload carrier because their fresh fish from the month before have churned to another big box truckload carrier etc. etc. etc...

It's all in what area your in. Some barns guys are leaving and not just the younger/ less senior one but the older and top of the list types. They are not hiring drivers at my barn but some of them in my district are. The problem they are having is the hours, dock, pay. For some drivers it's not always about the money for them quality of life plays a big role. Plus driver talk and read boards like this. What make it worst is reading the post title "NEW GUY" this guy loved working here and early this year fired him the con-way way (basically we are laying you off and if we call you back you have to start all over again) and now they can't figure out when the put the WE ARE HIRING sign out they don't get tons of apps.
ABF and YRC by me have had trailer out hiring everyone, dock, driver, mechanics, and boss those trailer have been there so long the tires are flat. So XPO want to thin the heard I not worried I have a driving job tomorrow.

It's all in what area your in. Some barns guys are leaving and not just the younger/ less senior one but the older and top of the list types. They are not hiring drivers at my barn but some of them in my district are. The problem they are having is the hours, dock, pay. For some drivers it's not always about the money for them quality of life plays a big role. Plus driver talk and read boards like this. What make it worst is reading the post title "NEW GUY" this guy loved working here and early this year fired him the con-way way (basically we are laying you off and if we call you back you have to start all over again) and now they can't figure out when the put the WE ARE HIRING sign out they don't get tons of apps.
ABF and YRC by me have had trailer out hiring everyone, dock, driver, mechanics, and boss those trailer have been there so long the tires are flat. So XPO want to thin the heard I not worried I have a driving job tomorrow.

Totally agree. This post sums it up. They are getting rid of a lot of Con-way customers. And bringing in new freight. It's changing our lanes and service. Drivers get caught up in it both ways depending on where you are. Some terminals haven't seen much change in volume but others have gone way up while others have gone way down. And this leaves opportunities for competition to pick up freght we won't haul or can't handle. So they run out and hang a hiring sign and that creates opportunities for drivers.

After talking to a FOS trainer the other day , the trainer said nobody said anything - the trainees just stopped showing up. There haven't been any trainees for FOS's in over a year according to the trainer. Also , XPO supposedly is short on FOS's throughout the company.

When XPO needs these people with experience , I wonder where they will get them from? Where are they getting them from now? And how does that change things when FOS's have little to no experience and come from outside the company?