Holland | HO, BV, ER, MA, and PN to close in JUNE 2009.

Our Reg. VP had a talk with us yesterday. They dont know how many people it will affect but they let go 2 dock supervisors, 1 office manager, 1 road dispatch so far. Only the dispatcher is staying and going to the WH terminal. Dont know how many office or dock yet. When we opened BV we did about 800-1000 bills a night. Now we are lucky to do 600. They still have a lease on the terminal and will still be paying big rent for 2 more years! After 14 years I might be laid off or bumped to the WH terminal which is 75 miles from my house. All the best to the others. How sad - they wil continue to take the10% knowing these people dont have a job after June! Gotta pay the country club dues for Dollar BIll I guess

bv is old preston terminal,airport been wanting to get it for a long time to expand.it all about money. good luck everyone

I have never worked for a company that is such a let down like this one (YRC). People say we are over paid they should see the stress we go through. Good luck to everyone.

Our Reg. VP had a talk with us yesterday. They dont know how many people it will affect but they let go 2 dock supervisors, 1 office manager, 1 road dispatch so far. Only the dispatcher is staying and going to the WH terminal. Dont know how many office or dock yet. When we opened BV we did about 800-1000 bills a night. Now we are lucky to do 600. They still have a lease on the terminal and will still be paying big rent for 2 more years! After 14 years I might be laid off or bumped to the WH terminal which is 75 miles from my house. All the best to the others. How sad - they wil continue to take the10% knowing these people dont have a job after June! Gotta pay the country club dues for Dollar BIll I guess
Yeah it is very PATHETIC that they still take the 10% out. Yet you are still suposed to do the same job knowing that you are losing yours.

It is a bad situation,however don't jump the gun and quit if you are offered a move. Myself and many did it for years (commute) over 200 miles each way. They will pay your lodging for 90 days which gives you time to evaluate your situation. Many of our guys doubled and tripled up and rented an apartment,one guy lived for years in his camper trailer during week and we all commuted home on weekends. It is rough and exhausting but it keeps your benefits and pension alive. Coming into Summer so commute won't be bad. After 90 days motels gave us cheap company rates and worked with us where we only paid 2 nights when we were doing lay down/Fri. turn runs. Good luck,just don't act rashly till you get a grip on what all is transpiring with COO. Good luck.

Explanation of closings from Unionman

"Holland Mi, Besenville Il, Pontiac Mi, Erie Pa, mansfield oh. Its not like the last closings as in pulling back territory. Holland mi and Grand Rapids Mi are 27 miles apart and will be served by Grand Rapids and by other terminals that are close. as we have 4 terminals in the Chicago area this work will be divided amongst the other three. Pontiac work will go to detroit and Birch Run ( saginaw area). Erie will probably be split between Cleveland and Buffalo as it was before Erie. Mansfield oh will be split between Columbus, Toledo and Cleveland and Akron i would assume as it was before Mansfield. It does suck as I'm sure all will not be offered work but they are just moving this work to terminals that are close."

I'd like to add that BV and WH are only 8 miles apart. WH was split up when BV opened. Just going back to the original operation.
The BV property will eventually be torn down for a new weastern access highway into the airport. Most business on that side of the street are already gone. Just empty structures.

Commuting 50-100 miles is not uncommon even if it's one way. I work with guys that drive up to 100 daily as city drivers.

There are about 10 men from the old West Tenn terminal that commute over 100 miles daily to Memphis. Some gave up their homes and made the move to the big city. Couple of guys drive 140 miles one way to keep their job and these men have been doing this for 5 years. What's so bad about the WT closure, this terminal was small, but these guys moved as much frt as any carrier in the area. We service it out of ME-80-140 mile peddles. About 8-12 peddles a day.

What about the 10%?

What happens to stock that we are supposed to get for the 10% pay decrease when our terminal closes? Do we get anything else like severance pay? Should we take all of our sick/personal days that we have coming before the doors shut? Does anybody know how much the COBRA costs? I was off for a while and I had to pay $259 per WEEK for it. I can't hardly afford that on unemployment! Does anybody know of any companies in Michigan that are willing to take the USF employees that are lsoing their jobs? I found one that starts you out at $800 per week. That's peanuts compared to what we are making now! I guess it's better than $300+ a week on unemployment. The whole thing is depressing!

Good luck finding anything that pays more than $800/week to start in Michigan. Now that the big three will be shut down for 9 extra weeks, that won't help the near future either. Most LTLs will be laying off more because of it. The only hope for the laid off, is coming back for vacation coverage for the summer. Good luck to you.

What happens to stock that we are supposed to get for the 10% pay decrease when our terminal closes? Do we get anything else like severance pay? Should we take all of our sick/personal days that we have coming before the doors shut? Does anybody know how much the COBRA costs? I was off for a while and I had to pay $259 per WEEK for it. I can't hardly afford that on unemployment! Does anybody know of any companies in Michigan that are willing to take the USF employees that are lsoing their jobs? I found one that starts you out at $800 per week. That's peanuts compared to what we are making now! I guess it's better than $300+ a week on unemployment. The whole thing is depressing!
What happens to the stock, you can KISS that good bye!!!!!!!!! You will get whatever sick days, personal days and vacation days you have left over MINUS THE 10% because they don't give a DAMN if you got a JOB or not. I would take the $800.00 a week job and not look back. As far as insurance you should be paid up until the next quarter but who knows with the health and welfare fund anymore......As stated above that is your SEVERANCE PACKAGE, it what is OWED to you.....take that and run far away from any YRC company and then keep on RUNNING from the fleet of sinking ships......:TR10driving03:

30 day notice.............

at least you are being given a 30 day notice and not the HOT stick in the eye. Cobra is at a 65% discount when on unemployment unless your spouse can get insurance, in that case you don't qualify for that 65%. Good luck

Stimpy that sounds great except for the fact it would be one hell of a commute to work. The Erie terminal is 82 miles one way to Buffalo alone. How many guys are willing to travel this far to work with such an uncertain future at best? By the time you travel down I90 and arrive in Buffalo that may be all the time Zollars needs before he padlocks Buffalo. The end is near. The guys affected would be better served collecting unemployment and seeking work somewhere else. I am sure there must be guys in Erie that live 20 to 25 miles from the Erie terminal, add another 82 miles to Buffalo, and you are talking about over a 100 mile one way commute to work. No thanks Billy Boy!

Cityman, I agree with your post EXCEPT for the end is near statement. Hopefully the YRC morons may be done consolidating terminals and leave well enough alone. I hope those high paid morons are smart enough and patient enough, to allow some time to pass by so all the recent closures that have taken place, can positively take effect and financially stablize our operating ratios bottom line. If empty head Zollars keeps consolidating at this current pace, we will not have any more terminals to close by the end of 2009. The IBT had ought to tell YRC, you are done with future COO requests for 2009, SEE YOU IN 2010, Good Bye!! :nutkick::ranting2: