Hobbies, do you have one or more..???

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by pro1driver, Mar 15, 2019 at 3:56 PM.

1. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LOST

i had went out, and got myself a round/plastic, 3 gallon fresh water fish tank.....lasted all of about 2-3 weeks(??), then on one of my jaunts to the pet store, they had a sale on 10 gallon tank kits.

so what else to do..??

i bought the 10 gallon tank, and a larger filter, that'll handle a 15-20 gallon tank...lol

set it up, and have some fishies in in now, right now, 2 platy (mickey mouse...)
    [​IMG]

and 2 golden/yellow guppies...
    [​IMG]

and for now, 1 Black Racer snail, and tell you what too, he ain't no SLOW MOVING snail...lol
    [​IMG]

i don't even wanna add up all the sales slips yet........i started with that $30 round starter tank....

i think i am closing in on the national debt

here is a pic of my set up....
    [​IMG]

you can see all 4 of my fish at the top, and the snail on the glass at the large green leaf.

now, i should point out, that i had a blue wag platy about 2 weeks ago.."she" gave birth to 5 "babies", (then she died) that i have in a small fish like bowl...when they grow bigger, they will go into this new tank, hopefully all will live, but i just don't know.

i clean out thier holding bowl daily, feed them crushed up flakes, and all 5 are still fast swimmers...

i was told i am a grandfather.....oh joy....

DCM_Doc, 00mustang, Big Dave and 3 others like this.
  2. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LOST

here is a pic of my 5 grand babies...
    [​IMG]

not easy cleaning out thier bowl, i use the bathroom sink, close the drain of course..lol, and let the water run thru my fingers..yes, on does "escape", but i have a dixie cup, to scoop it right back up again...

Stimpy and kboomarang like this.
  3. kboomarang

kboomarang My allah, between pie and mode

I have more of what you'd call "passing fancies", I'll run across something in need of repair and then get sucked into more, 3 years ago I had 8 snow blowers(still have 3), I've got 8 chainsaws, 7 old neon clocks, 12 axes of various weights and brands, I'm just lucky most of the time I have to ask myself "where would you put it" or more of what my wife would of said "what are you planning on doing with that", I would like to get an old Jeep to tinker with though.

4. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LOST

i find the fish to be entertaining...the water filter dumps into the tank with "some force", so i cut back a little on that..but the guppy will swim under it, get pushed down the the bottom of the tank, then like a salmon, tries to swim up stream into the water flow, only to be knocked down again.. over and over...funny stuff.

i never know where that black racer snail is next. literally one minute in one corner, the next, clear across the tank in another corner....really is a fast moving sucker. "snails pace", does not apply here..lol

5. kboomarang

They're always, always, something that's just fun to watch, my wifes doctors office had pretty big one with a lot of different kinds of fish and it was neat to watch how they all interact with each other, there was one in there that was just an a-hole to the others and he was even smaller than them but he was a jerk.

Big Dave and pro1driver like this.
  6. kboomarang

Please tell me it wasn't "Flounder" that inspired you to take up fish as a hobby.

pro1driver, 00mustang and Big Dave like this.
  7. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LOST

yeah right now, the new guppy and the original one, are side by side..i guess they are friends now

the new mickey mouse is getting "picked on" by the original....it won't be long before they are friends, i hope.....

the snail is just sitting on a leaf of the plant, thankfully, he has not eaten any of it. plenty of "food" on the gravel for him right now.

Stimpy likes this.
  8. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 60 Year Teamster Member

[​IMG]

Keep checking your mailbox, I'm sending you a new pet.

9. kboomarang

Don't forget to give it a kiss goodbye.

10. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LOST

my damned snail, either stays on the freaking glass, or on one of the plant leafs...

christ, food on the gravel.....and he's gotta stick to the frickin glass...?????

Stimpy likes this.
  11. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Well-Known Member

LASTing adventure.

12. SuperCourse

SuperCourse Trigger Free Zone

Cool hobby pro, hope they all do well.

pro1driver likes this.
  13. DCM_Doc

DCM_Doc Well-Known Member

I have three Stihls, one Husqvarna, two Homelite Super Xl's three el cheapo Poulans. I cut fire wood for my self & give away even more. The old Homelites, (magnesium not plastic), are probably considered collector items but still run. I have a fetish for good tools. I have axes, splitting mauls, shovels, sledge hammers,etc. I finally gave in to my old age last year & bought a gasoline powered splitter even though I enjoy splitting wood by hand. My chiropractor misses me.

00mustang, kboomarang and pro1driver like this.
  14. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

I think that snails are like the fish called a plecostomus .... they feed from the algae on the glass and plants. Not a hundred percent sure... but I'm a thinking

15. kboomarang

Stihls I like because they're easy to work on with just a couple of tools, so I've got a 024,028,029, 056, & MS650, all but the 029 I bought at police property auctions, word of caution I've had problems with knock off aftermarket parts especially any of the rubber lines, 2 Jonsereds a 620 which is really nice smaller saw that really cuts, and one 2150 that I gave to my nephew which was real nice, and then 2 Remingtons from the early 70's that were my dads, the one thing bought I really like is a chain sharpener at Harbor Freight that works nice, and was like $25.
    [​IMG]

00mustang, DCM_Doc and Stimpy like this.
  16. DCM_Doc

DCM_Doc Well-Known Member

I file my chains but I have considered buying a sharpener especially when a chain comes in contact with a piece of steel in a tree in an old fence line or old house place or a bullet. The Poulans I usually pick up for a few dollars when a homeowner leaves ethanol in it over the summer. Usually they have low hours & just need fuel lines & a carburetor kit. I have two 026's, a 310 with very few hours & a Husqvarna 455 Rancher which has been a very good saw. I use non ethanol fuel in all my small engines.

17. kboomarang

With a sharpener I think you'd be amazed just how sharp the teeth come out, better than I've ever filed and more comprehensive, because if you set it properly as you sharpen a tooth(which is easy) you're not only sharpening the chisel edge but the working corner at the very outside tip of the chisel then the sharpener also puts a nice sharp edge down in the outside rim of the gullet of the tooth, I checked mine was $29.99 minus $5.99 from a 20% coupon so it ended up being like $24, they may be cheaper at their online site and also check Youtube I watched some guys test them out and rate them before I bought, and yeah non-oxy is the way to go I don't even think Stabil helps that oxy stuff, if it does it's not for long.

DCM_Doc likes this.
  18. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LOST

yes, the black racer that i have, at first did walk the gravel, then made it to the glass, then my plant, the the glass again..."he" seems happier that a pig in *** on the glass...whatever, he's doing "his job" scrubbing the water line....lol

this morning, i will go to the store, and inquire about "ghost shrimps"....to see how many they recommend...the webpage says one will do, and most likely will too.....

those things scavenge the bottom, and it is recommended to NOT feed the fish at least one day per week, so nothing goes to the bottom, MAKING that shrimp really work harder at finding food in the gravel....

i do have a tank vacuum pump, to clean up the bottom, but that sucks up too much water, so "cleaning" critters (i think) from my readings thus far, are more beneficial....

Stimpy likes this.
  19. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

Here is my tank it's a 45 gallon .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All I have in the tank now are clown loaches..... I had a couple of parrot fish but they died.

00mustang, pro1driver and kboomarang like this.
  20. crazy

crazy Well-Known Member

Hobbies?? We like to travel.. I guess we could call it a hobby.. Been to I think like 13 different countries and now have an RV and after looking at most of the country from 35,000 ft it's time to see the USA ..