TForce | Hog board or Wheel board?

GLAD TO BE_UPSF

TB Regular
Credits
Just wondering if anyone knows.....

if we end up being union,what kind of board will we be running...or is that something that is negotiated also?

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
Just wondering if anyone knows.....

if we end up being union,what kind of board will we be running...or is that something that is negotiated also?
What type of board you will have is more than likely up for negotiation. Go for the seniority board, not the wheel. The only guys who like the wheel board are the ones near the bottom, and they won't like it once they get a little seniority. Since they're junior, they like going out ahead of a senior man and will swear that it's the only fair way......but once they get a little time in they'll be mad that a junior man goes out ahead of them and they'll want a seniority board then. Seniority, at least boardwise, should be respected at all times.

stldude44 said:
What type of board you will have is more than likely up for negotiation. Go for the seniority board, not the wheel. The only guys who like the wheel board are the ones near the bottom, and they won't like it once they get a little seniority. Since they're junior, they like going out ahead of a senior man and will swear that it's the only fair way......but once they get a little time in they'll be mad that a junior man goes out ahead of them and they'll want a seniority board then. Seniority, at least boardwise, should be respected at all times.

That was why I was wondering....I am near the bottom.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
That was why I was wondering....I am near the bottom.
In that case the wheel board will look better to you for now. Down the road it'll work against you. I've been at Yellow in STL for 20 years in 5 more days and we've always had a seniority board. Sure, it can be tough at first, but it was that way for everybody and it will pass in time. That's really what seniority is. I know that the wheel board is almost nonexistent in the Midwest, at least at terminals of any size. What do you have now?
Also, what I meant by boardwise seniority is that we don't jump from road to city or dock around here and keep our Company seniority. We can jump boards if that board is hiring, but we go to the bottom and work our way up from there. Some places in the East have one-line seniority, and we've seen the many discussions of it in the FedExFrt. Forum. I really don't know exactly how it will work in your area, but Local 600 in STL is a seniority oriented Union, and always will be.

USF Holland uses a combination of the wheel and the hog board and seems to work out OK. Dispatch for sun is done sat am by senority.If the board dosen't clear than a returning driver can't go back out until the board clears atleast once. After that its basically a hog type board. You can't please everyone no matter which way its done.

In N.Y. we are flexable we can do anything.

But we do go by company senority for special early starts.

All of the P&D driver start times are staggered at my terminal,I'm not sure about how the rest of our states works?
The drivers that start later get the evening pickups.
Unless an early starter gets done with their route early,they have the choice of doing later runs or going home.
If they take the late work a later start driver may not get 8 hours in.

Also any P&D drivers that want are dispatched by central to do extra board road runs on the weekends.

Some P&D drivers work the inbound,and outbound dock,and yard work, to get the work done.

Everyone seems happy with this set-up,except the bottom of the list that have to work one,or both inbound,and outbound dock shifts to make their time.

But thats the trucking game,we all had to start at the bottom of the food chain to gain senority.
I can't recall anyone startng at the top?

Apo,
That description sounds like they go by board seniority, not Company seniority. Can a road driver bid on what you've described? Company seniority is when you bid it starts at the top man and he chooses what board he wants for that bid period. Board seniority is when a guy is a city driver/combo, a road driver, or a dockhand. In STL we have 3 classifications....Road, City and Dock......A road man can only bid road, etc.

I had no idea that there were different types of boards. Every company I've worked for that seniority mattered did it the same way.

I'm always learning something new on these boards, I wish I would have bought a computer a long time ago. No telling what I've could have learned by now.

steve5 said:
I had no idea that there were different types of boards. Every company I've worked for that seniority mattered did it the same way.

I'm always learning something new on these boards, I wish I would have bought a computer a long time ago. No telling what I've could have learned by now.

Thats what we like to hear :1036316054:

Don't forget .... your input, should the company unionize, will determine how the contract for each local area is laid out.
Become involved, ask questions and provide your opinions too.
Each geographical area will have a supplement that may spell out how things will work at your terminal.
As an example, at my terminal we have 2 separate seniority lists, one for the city P & D and one for the road.
Don't assume that things operate the same in every area, each supplement is different because each geographical area has different issues that will need to be addressed.

Apostolic said:
But we do go by company senority for special early starts.

All of the P&D driver start times are staggered at my terminal,I'm not sure about how the rest of our states works?
The drivers that start later get the evening pickups.
Unless an early starter gets done with their route early,they have the choice of doing later runs or going home.
If they take the late work a later start driver may not get 8 hours in.

Also any P&D drivers that want are dispatched by central to do extra board road runs on the weekends.

Some P&D drivers work the inbound,and outbound dock,and yard work, to get the work done.

Everyone seems happy with this set-up,except the bottom of the list that have to work one,or both inbound,and outbound dock shifts to make their time.

But thats the trucking game,we all had to start at the bottom of the food chain to gain senority.
I can't recall anyone startng at the top?
I'll start with the 8hr thing first, Any bid man that has a start time is guarenteed an 8hr shift, so if A guy ends up working his run, it wouldn't matter, he's still guarenteed that 8hrs.
Anybody with a cdl, can sign up for a road trip on a weekend, as long as a road man, bid or extraboard, is not available and willing to work. If they do work when such man is dispatched, the regular driver is able to file for the pay such non driver classifation made for his run.
As for senority, its the basic fundamental of any company. You been here the longest, it should benifit you. I personal don't like the hog board, and prefer a single line senority list. Meaning you can jump classification at any bid. Once again, if you worked for the company 20yrs and a guy has been there only one, don't you think its your right to say , well this new bid I want to be P&D instead of road to spend some more time with my family. Like I said, thats my opinion.

How your seniority system works can be negotiated terminal-by-terminal in the form or a supplemental or through your dispatch rules.

We have two types of seniority boards at Oak Harbor Freight: split board (Where I am this is the way it is, but it's in the minority) and the common board.

Split boards work well in bigger terminals, I feel; and common boards work well in smaller terminals.

I personally prefer split boards, because I hired on as a line driver, and have no interest in driving in the city. Been there, done that, don't care to do it anymore. We have a very small percentage of city drivers at the terminal I work out of who are agitating for a common board, but they want it so they can jump to the line in the summer when the weather is good and they can run the miles, and when the snow starts flying, they can jump back into the city and stay out of harm's way.

My point here is that whatever you do, do it, but don't go changing things in mid-stream. because that will cause heartache and strife to no end.

I hired onto my line board and sweated and starved the first couple of years, because when work was thin and I was on the bottom, I had no right to work outside of my classification. So a senior city driver who never had to miss work because he always got his forty hours a week either in the city or on the dock is now going to bump me down by sliding in ahead of me.

So... where was his sacrifice? He didn't have to sit at home even when he was on the bottom like I did, but now he's going to get the gravy simply by right of company seniority? I paid my dues to get to where I'm at, is my point.

And there is nothing I hate worse than a fair-weather driver... :tribehasspoken:

stldude44 said:
Apo,
That description sounds like they go by board seniority, not Company seniority. Can a road driver bid on what you've described? Company seniority is when you bid it starts at the top man and he chooses what board he wants for that bid period. Board seniority is when a guy is a city driver/combo, a road driver, or a dockhand. In STL we have 3 classifications....Road, City and Dock......A road man can only bid road, etc.
It is board seniority for the class that you are in. Road, P&D, Dock. Company seniority only pervails for vacation and layoffs and extra work in their class. No one can use their seniority to bump into another class. They start at the bottom if they want to change their class regardless of company seniority. If the bottom road man is forced into the city because of his run being cancelled permenetly he will go to the bottom of P&D regardless of company seniority. (This is wrong) This is the way it is company wide according to the rule book. But again any terminal can twist the situation any way they want to bennefit the terminal regardless of seniority. I have seen it happen many times. Your seniority means nothing in this company.

shifterknob said:
How your seniority system works can be negotiated terminal-by-terminal in the form or a supplemental or through your dispatch rules.

We have two types of seniority boards at Oak Harbor Freight: split board (Where I am this is the way it is, but it's in the minority) and the common board.

Split boards work well in bigger terminals, I feel; and common boards work well in smaller terminals.

I personally prefer split boards, because I hired on as a line driver, and have no interest in driving in the city. Been there, done that, don't care to do it anymore. We have a very small percentage of city drivers at the terminal I work out of who are agitating for a common board, but they want it so they can jump to the line in the summer when the weather is good and they can run the miles, and when the snow starts flying, they can jump back into the city and stay out of harm's way.

My point here is that whatever you do, do it, but don't go changing things in mid-stream. because that will cause heartache and strife to no end.

I hired onto my line board and sweated and starved the first couple of years, because when work was thin and I was on the bottom, I had no right to work outside of my classification. So a senior city driver who never had to miss work because he always got his forty hours a week either in the city or on the dock is now going to bump me down by sliding in ahead of me.

So... where was his sacrifice? He didn't have to sit at home even when he was on the bottom like I did, but now he's going to get the gravy simply by right of company seniority? I paid my dues to get to where I'm at, is my point.

And there is nothing I hate worse than a fair-weather driver... :tribehasspoken:
Hey, I am not but would love to be a fair weather driver. After 28 years on the road I just don't have the ????? anymore. When I was younger the weather did not bother me. Now I love the weather from my couch.

BusterNite said:
Hey, I am not but would love to be a fair weather driver. After 28 years on the road I just don't have the ????? anymore. When I was younger the weather did not bother me. Now I love the weather from my couch.
Fairweather? if its snowing bad, why would you come in in the first place?:duh:

serta said:
Well, I didn't want to sound too bad, but I'm right there with ya!:bgroovy:
In genral, I am just tired of being in a truck, This is why I hope for an early retirement. 55 and out. I will watch closely what happens to the pension funds. Although these days all are at risk.