ABF | Holiday work

canaryinthemine

Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!
Credits
Anyone else out there having problems with the company forcing bottom men to work on holiday shifts, specifically dock crews going into Christmas eve? Company has no problem paying the premium pay, but they feel that they can force ALL holidays from the bottom, instead of just the two delineated in the contract, ( Veteran's day, and Good Friday.) I believe all Holiday work is voluntary, by nature and definition of holidays. Curious if anyone else has this problem.

Anyone else out there having problems with the company forcing bottom men to work on holiday shifts, specifically dock crews going into Christmas eve? Company has no problem paying the premium pay, but they feel that they can force ALL holidays from the bottom, instead of just the two delineated in the contract, ( Veteran's day, and Good Friday.) I believe all Holiday work is voluntary, by nature and definition of holidays. Curious if anyone else has this problem.
Ummm, is this addressed in the supplement? If our shift starts December 23rd and continues into the 24th we are required to finish it out at straight time and anything over 8 would then be triple time (genuine triple time not just double time on top of the holiday pay). They have always forced from the bottom up here.

Ummm, is this addressed in the supplement? If our shift starts December 23rd and continues into the 24th we are required to finish it out at straight time and anything over 8 would then be triple time (genuine triple time not just double time on top of the holiday pay). They have always forced from the bottom up here.
They do it @ 050 (Indy) just like you said, triple after midnight & force from the bottom up. von.

As I know it too, like stated if shift begins on non holiday and goes into its straight, but over 8 its premium. they cannot force anyone to work on a paid holiday day, shift beginning on.. there is always so much yes they can, no they cant,, road can, road cant,, road can have 1 day but use a sick or vacation day.. but the actual holiday, no one can be forced to work, that's a negotiated paid day off. Road, city, work comp, shop, whatever..
I have already heard and seen that road operation will not shut down and drivers are expected to run, BS, its a forfeited trip and gets entered as HOL.
However 2300 shifts are considered next day correct? That would be 2300 Thursday report is actually a Friday workday. that's holiday.. some places stagger work times.. a 2000 start into Friday is not holiday eligible unless over 8.
Road, work 1 minute into holiday, its 4 hr pay premium.

Just found out they took the paper down that said jan 1 was a holiday and everyone was off. Now road drivers have to work as a regular day.

If I go out on a run on Thursday and come back at 2 am on Friday I would be entitled to the 4 hour work on the holiday penalty. If they call be at 1600 to go out again would I be entitled to another 4 since one shift has NOTHING to do with the other?or is that wishful thinking and double dipping??

I have never heard of them forcing a start on a holiday. Working onto one when the shift spans midnight or a closing shift going past midnight yes.

But they have never forced a start on a holiday have they?
I have to think that the 'union' would be in favor of a force from the bottom up. They do want the company to survive and telling something like an Amazon.com that we won't be in could be costly, very costly. We have almost always had a customer of some sort who had different holidays than we do and needed service on some of our holidays here at my barn. Usually there is a hungry worker to volunteer but there have been occasions where forcing was the company's only option.

I have to think that the 'union' would be in favor of a force from the bottom up. They do want the company to survive and telling something like an Amazon.com that we won't be in could be costly, very costly. We have almost always had a customer of some sort who had different holidays than we do and needed service on some of our holidays here at my barn. Usually there is a hungry worker to volunteer but there have been occasions where forcing was the company's only option.
At out barn there are plenty of guys who would want the premium pay so forcing wouldnt be an issue but I didn't think you could force on an actual paid holiday in the city, road I have no idea.

We have the HVXP at our terminal. Last year our two dock guys had to start 10:00 P.M. New Years Eve and work into New Years Day until 6:30 A.M. Company paid time and a half plus eight for all hours worked..........HVXP ran last year through New Years,....our HVXP bid driver was at Dayton and they were open..........at midnight. We have grieved it because the company's position is that they can force from the bottom on EVERY holiday,....not just the two specifically named holidays that the contract delineates as being able to force from the bottom. Company has stated there is no contractual language that states "Hard Holiday",.....a term that was bandied about a good deal.

Oh,.....and by the way.......you have a choice to work on your birthday,.....at premium wages,....instead of the company marking you off as a matter of course.

Our Supplement declares Employee's Birthday as a regular holiday, which means that if you work it, you get time and a half for all hours worked, plus eight. Previously the company was just taking it for granted that you would be off on your birthday,......thereby saving them the premium pay. We got it established that it was the employee's decision,.....not management's assumption,.......as to whether an employee would work his birthday.

Our Supplement declares Employee's Birthday as a regular holiday,
There must be something that you gave up to get the birthday off. Is Good Friday a holiday for you? How many personal days do you get? We get Good Friday and 4 personals, no birthday.

There must be something that you gave up to get the birthday off. Is Good Friday a holiday for you? How many personal days do you get? We get Good Friday and 4 personals, no birthday.
We get 3 personals our birthday but no good Friday, they gave us a extra personal for that day....

Here at 050 if you work your birthday you get double time for the first eight hours plus 8 holiday so triple time, after that you stay at double time. Management does not have to let you work on your birthday they can tell you no at least that is how it is here. They could have some agreement with our Local.
We get one personal day, 5 sick, our Birthday and do not get Good Friday

Here at 050 if you work your birthday you get double time for the first eight hours plus 8 holiday so triple time, after that you stay at double time. Management does not have to let you work on your birthday they can tell you no at least that is how it is here. They could have some agreement with our Local.
We get one personal day, 5 sick, our Birthday and do not get Good Friday
We don't get Good Friday, bad Friday or mediocre Friday off. We do, however, get Leonardo DaVinci's birthday off.

No such thing as a personal day in the W.Pa. Supplement. We do get Good Friday off,.....or any other day off, our choice, if the company decides to stay open on Good Friday,......which it has been doing, so we have a "floater",......Two, in fact. Veteran's day is the same.

5 sick days, to be used at the employee's discretion. Birthday is paid time and a half plus eight if worked, or if you just take it off, it's eight straight.

All of our holidays are time and a half if worked plus eight,......EXCEPT for Good Friday and Veteran's Day. They are straight time worked plus eight, overtime after eight. Contract specifically says that on those two holidays, they can force from the bottom. No mention is made of whether they can force from the bottom on the other holidays.

I would think that the pay difference,.....and the fact that Veteran's Day and Good Friday are segregated from the other holidays by a "period" (.), and different work rules concerning those TWO holidays only,....is de facto evidence of intent to allow a choice by the employees as to whether they will volunteer to come in or not,........instead of the company imperiously decreeing they can force from the bottom on every holiday, instead of just the two named.

It's tough enough to get hired and have to go two years without a vacation,.....and then have the company tell you that you MUST work Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, and Fourth of July,.........instead of being able to be with your family on those days,.....just because you're a new-hire on the bottom of the board.

And,......with the way work is going,....you might spend 10 years at the bottom,....in that "forced" position, before you gain enough seniority to get out of being forced to work holidays.

Being with ABF 22 years, and being a Teamster 40 years,....I've never worked a Christmas Eve,.....or a Fourth of July,.......and only one time a New Year's Eve through midnight,....because of a snowstorm and impassable roads. Somewhere, somehow,....the philosophy about Holidays changed,.......and not for the better. We are now going down to the non-Union's level,....instead of their going up to our (formerly) superior conditions and pay.

Somewhere, somehow,....the philosophy about Holidays changed,.......and not for the better. We are now going down to the non-Union's level,....instead of their going up to our (formerly) superior conditions and pay.
The philosophy has changed on much more than just the issue of holidays. I find the differences in holidays in the supplements to be interesting and I always like to hear how things are handled elsewhere. When I started with ABF I believe that we had two (2) personal days. I forget but it might have been five (5) sick days but then it could have been three (3). Christmas Eve was not a holiday and New Year's Eve never was and still is not. We gave up President's Day, Columbus Day, and Veteran's Day over the years (I'm surprised that we still get Labor Day, ha ha). One year I earned 39 1/2 hrs pay on Columbus Day alone. We gained two (2) more personal days and got the day after Thanksgiving as well as Christmas Eve. We hang on to Good Friday but I know that Central PA gave it up years ago. Sick days we always got paid off for if we didn't use them but personals were use 'em or lose 'em, as is vacation. But now we get paid off at the end of the calendar year for any unused.

The philosophy has changed on much more than just the issue of holidays. I find the differences in holidays in the supplements to be interesting and I always like to hear how things are handled elsewhere. When I started with ABF I believe that we had two (2) personal days. I forget but it might have been five (5) sick days but then it could have been three (3). Christmas Eve was not a holiday and New Year's Eve never was and still is not. We gave up President's Day, Columbus Day, and Veteran's Day over the years (I'm surprised that we still get Labor Day, ha ha). One year I earned 39 1/2 hrs pay on Columbus Day alone. We gained two (2) more personal days and got the day after Thanksgiving as well as Christmas Eve. We hang on to Good Friday but I know that Central PA gave it up years ago. Sick days we always got paid off for if we didn't use them but personals were use 'em or lose 'em, as is vacation. But now we get paid off at the end of the calendar year for any unused.
No Supplement in my area. We get 5 sick days and two personals. Also day after T-Day and Xmas Eve. And, as forementioned, Leonardo DaVinci's birthday.