Holland | Holland Dock/Drivers Must Read!!

MDWdock

TB Lurker
Credits
I worked at Holland as a casual dock worker and made a lousy 11.90 an hour and left after a year for another part time job at Dayton Freight that started at 17.50 and afteronly a year I've received two raises. I see a lot of skill in the veteran drivers and dock workers at Holland and always wonder, why do you guys put up with the trash and bad wages? You could have it way better at almost any other LTL company. As a part time dockworker in a NON UNION company I'm making more than what Holland starts out their CDL A city p/d drivers. It's rather unfortunate.

bae94bbef544c9d73e238f3f9ca7a718.jpg
$11.90 hour minus union dues and joining fees !! then they wonder why nobody will apply ??

Last edited:
I worked at Holland as a casual dock worker and made a lousy 11.90 an hour and left after a year for another part time job at Dayton Freight that started at 17.50 and afteronly a year I've received two raises. I see a lot of skill in the veteran drivers and dock workers at Holland and always wonder, why do you guys put up with the trash and bad wages? You could have it way better at almost any other LTL company. As a part time dockworker in a NON UNION company I'm making more than what Holland starts out their CDL A city p/d drivers. It's rather unfortunate.
Let me know when they pay their drivers more than 52 cents a mile with zero cost health insurance and you get paid over 21.38 an hour for all wait and break down time. When you can meet all of that criteria I will gladly consider becoming a non union scab. Just kidding on that last part. Just because you had some casual job that paid nothing does not mean that most of the men at Holland make some serious jack with really good health insurance. If a guy is young maybe Dayton would not be bad, although I think there are a couple other companies I would consider before them if I was twenty years younger. But thank you for your concern about our financial well being, Good Luck at Dayton!

I don't plan on staying in transportation, I'm just using this casual job to get through school. I appreciate the good luck comments though, but it always seemed like all of the veterans at Holland (highly skilled), hated the 15% pay cut and the way the company was going, etc. I guess once you're invested into a company for so long it is kind of detrimental to leave and start over somewhere else. Regardless, I hope you guys get treated fairly and paid properly, because I learned from great people like you all, and you guys more than deserve it.

Zero cost insurance??? Surely you don't really believe that? I would argue that the 15% kick back and 25% pension contribution is quite costly for that "free insurance".
I prefer not to drive myself nuts, "what 15 percent" That does not longer exist in my mind. These guys that live every day worried about that 15 percent are just driving themselves nuts. I have spent too many Fridays looking at my paystub on Friday and seeing fifty or a hundred or in the case of one job over a hundred dollars a week taken out of my check for health insurance. I know last Friday and next Friday when I open my stub there will be nothing taken out of my check. So if you want to live your life upset about the fifteen percent, buddy knock your socks off, but I will continue to say "what 15 percent". We are not getting it back before, on, or after 2019 so why drive yourself nuts. As for the pension, they came up with a solution to lessen the problem and everyone screamed and kicked and did not what any part of it. If guys can't figure out that half a pension is better than no pension, well than I don't know what to say. All I know is when I get my paycheck next Friday there will be no money taken out for insurance and it will be a larger check than any other company I have worked for in the last 31 plus years. I think some guys were just a little too spoiled for years and instead of sitting around and enjoying the memories of the great run they had in those years, they decide to sit around and whine like a bunch of school girls. No one is holding a gun to your head, if you bitch about your job every day then go find a different one, it will make your life a lot more enjoyable and I won't have to listen to you cry.

B
I prefer not to drive myself nuts, "what 15 percent" That does not longer exist in my mind. These guys that live every day worried about that 15 percent are just driving themselves nuts. I have spent too many Fridays looking at my paystub on Friday and seeing fifty or a hundred or in the case of one job over a hundred dollars a week taken out of my check for health insurance. I know last Friday and next Friday when I open my stub there will be nothing taken out of my check. So if you want to live your life upset about the fifteen percent, buddy knock your socks off, but I will continue to say "what 15 percent". We are not getting it back before, on, or after 2019 so why drive yourself nuts. As for the pension, they came up with a solution to lessen the problem and everyone screamed and kicked and did not what any part of it. If guys can't figure out that half a pension is better than no pension, well than I don't know what to say. All I know is when I get my paycheck next Friday there will be no money taken out for insurance and it will be a larger check than any other company I have worked for in the last 31 plus years. I think some guys were just a little too spoiled for years and instead of sitting around and enjoying the memories of the great run they had in those years, they decide to sit around and whine like a bunch of school girls. No one is holding a gun to your head, if you bitch about your job every day then go find a different one, it will make your life a lot more enjoyable and I won't have to listen to you cry.
Sad part is hollandman and detrucker left holland for UPS. Congratulations to the both of them for moving up in the union world. But damn I thought we were brotherhood, why in the hell those two continue to come on yrcw forums and put down and belittle the drivers who chose to stay and fight or have no choice because of where they live. Not one time have either one of the fellow Union members say hope you guys get it turned around next contract. Nope you just get nothing but negativity from them and other disgruntled members. You know what you signed up for so either shut up and take or stay in for the fight hell I know I don't mind a battle against the company.

B

Sad part is hollandman and detrucker left holland for UPS. Congratulations to the both of them for moving up in the union world. But damn I thought we were brotherhood, why in the hell those two continue to come on yrcw forums and put down and belittle the drivers who chose to stay and fight or have no choice because of where they live. Not one time have either one of the fellow Union members say hope you guys get it turned around next contract. Nope you just get nothing but negativity from them and other disgruntled members. You know what you signed up for so either shut up and take or stay in for the fight hell I know I don't mind a battle against the company.
Maybe they do that because they are ass holes? I don't know them personally but I would think I could be on the right track?

Maybe they do that because they are ass holes? I don't know them personally but I would think I could be on the right track?
I think you're correct. Just don't get you left cause they felt personally they needed too. Then just ::shit:: on the ones who stayed. I agree with you I don't pay for my insurance no matter how the others word it and still live comfortable. Come contract time I'm always pushing for more to flow in the bank.

Yes we are assholes so that makes you a ****ing moron for thinking this company doesn't take from you because it's not on your check stub. Go drink the company koolaid.

Yes we are assholes so that makes you a :censored: moron for thinking this company doesn't take from you because it's not on your check stub. Go drink the company koolaid.
It's not drinking koolaid cause we chose to deal with what the majority voted for. Damn dude what continue to talk down to your own fellowmembers especially on a public forum full of non Union guys? Things is if we was at any truck stop rest area etc that same bs wouldn't come out any of you guys mouth. Guess this is the place for some people poke their chest out.

Not paying anything towards our insurance is one of the few, very few, perks of working under what is left of our NMFA but don't expect that to last much longer. One thing that I know but don't hear a lot about is how the UPS Small Package drivers either have weekly copays or they will before their contract is up. Yep, sure, it's only a pittance but it's a start. And it is with one of the richest companies in the transportation industry. My question is...why? Why should those men and women have to pay anything towards their health insurance? "Because everyone else is", is not sufficient answer. How many of us have had our parents tell us, "Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right". I understand that YRC was on the rocks (as many that came before them) and Hoffa finagled to keep them afloat but that finagling cost the rest of the workers in the freight industry an incredible amount of money...and contract language. Then they go and sell out UPS and the CSPF? Sorry guys, they Teamsters suck. Not that I am against unions, I have done well on account of them but today's Teamster union is nothing compared to what it was and they are not benefiting us much anymore.

Not paying anything towards our insurance is one of the few, very few, perks of working under what is left of our NMFA but don't expect that to last much longer. One thing that I know but don't hear a lot about is how the UPS Small Package drivers either have weekly copays or they will before their contract is up. Yep, sure, it's only a pittance but it's a start. And it is with one of the richest companies in the transportation industry. My question is...why? Why should those men and women have to pay anything towards their health insurance? "Because everyone else is", is not sufficient answer. How many of us have had our parents tell us, "Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right". I understand that YRC was on the rocks (as many that came before them) and Hoffa finagled to keep them afloat but that finagling cost the rest of the workers in the freight industry an incredible amount of money...and contract language. Then they go and sell out UPS and the CSPF? Sorry guys, they Teamsters suck. Not that I am against unions, I have done well on account of them but today's Teamster union is nothing compared to what it was and they are not benefiting us much anymore.
I agree with you. But you don't go on here talking ::shit:: to Yrc/holland guys because you guys got your money back and ABF full rate into pension. Just don't get those three lil fellars.

I prefer not to drive myself nuts, "what 15 percent" That does not longer exist in my mind.
With all due respect, you are ONLY kidding yourself. You ARE paying for your insurance by losing 15% of your income. And by the way, there are very few LTL carriers that are paying $100.00 per week for their insurance. Under $50.00 per week is accurate.

No one is holding a gun to your head, if you bitch about your job every day then go find a different one, it will make your life a lot more enjoyable and I won't have to listen to you cry.
I agree, and I did. And I am much better off because of that decision.
I had gotten to the point where I was tired of the black cloud of negativity hanging over my head, so I moved on. And it has been the smartest decision that I've ever made.
But I admit that it still bothers me to see my old pals and co-workers getting boned by my former employer. They deserve better than that.

You know what you signed up for so either shut up and take or stay in for the fight hell I know I don't mind a battle against the company.
I agree with the first part of your post, but I have to disagree with this portion.
The pay cut, pension cut, and vacation cut, IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR. That's why I left. I had three main reasons for going to Holland to begin with. Pay......pension......and insurance. And they destroyed two out of the three. So I left.
:sadwavey:

I find it best to not talk :::shit::: to or about anyone...well...almost anyone, some are fair game.
I have talked ::shit:: about everybody my whole life, I've laid on the ground and bled, I spit so many teeth out in my life that I lost count. I would probably tear my rotator cuff in half if I tried to punch some piece of ::shit:: like pimpbrown in the mouth but it would be worth it! I am sick of a bunch of ******* that won't speak up when they are bent over a table and ****ed in the ass dry. But the thing that really bothers me the most is when a union is so ****ing weak that it won't stand up for the men, or maybe they just don't give a ::shit::. I know I have seen plenty of stewards that are so ****ing lazy it just makes me sick. So let's see I have called so many on hear and in the business Ass Holes, Pusssies, Lazy, Weak, I guess I missed Cocksuckers and Motherfuckers! Now what were you saying? I really shouldn't call people names....**** That! As far as you guys that jumped ship if you are still Teamsters than you have the same leadership as me so don't tell me how great you got it. I hate to burst your balloon but if a company pays twenty five percent or one hundred percent into a pension when there is no money left you will get the same amount of zero as the ones that paid in less. There was a day when the company hired the guy who gets paid sub standard wages like the fella that started this thread all the guys would have been walking out to the curb. But no, we have no leadership and most of the guys are a bunch of ******* that won't stand up for anything. There is only one time in the last number of years I was proud to be a Teamster, well actually two, but the one I am referring to is when I heard the straight trucks pulled in to Louisville and the men walked to the curb....bravo to them and I hope you all know who is the leader of that group in Louisville. I don't know if he could do anything for Teamsters on a national level but I sure would like to find out. Just in case pimpbrown missed it earlier....**** You go back and stick your brown ass bitch punk nose up your Buster Brown brothers Ass's! I am so sick of these cocksuckers sticking their nose in others peoples business! Good Day

I almost forgot....no one charges over a hundred a week for insurance....you sir are full of ::shit:: because I remember listening to my wife bitch about it for almost three years with every paycheck I received.