Holland | Holland To Abolish UE Drivers

From JJ:

I was just informed of a new change of operation for Holland to due away with all UE,s. They will be able to go back to there orginal position i.e. road or city.

Instead of UE,s they will have the road drivers do the work at the existing 12 velocity centers(BU,HA,RD,CN,AT,NA,SL,KC,DS,RI,OW,and YT) and add 5 more(IN,Jo,CI,To, and SB). They are wanting the road to be able to cross dock while these 17 terminals are working.
But mostly while the terminal is dark. You will recieve a dollar an hour more while doing this work. Also any road driver can do this.

They also asking that at all dark terminal road drivers can cross dock. And last but not least road drivers will able to due there own drop and hooks even while terminals are open.

Now do not shoot the messenger I am just reporting what my BA just read to me. Thanks JJ

Thanks JJ, I moved your post to this thread, it was the same thing.

Does this mean that all road drivers will be doing their own hooks even at the begining of their day, or only when going to a terminal on a turn at night?

3. Parties agree that all road drivers can perform any drop and hook of their units as needed at all terminals.

The way it reads, I would say yes.

This is what should have been done first (at contract). I hope that this change will be approved.
Yes but would you have said that if the UE had never been brought up?
I agree this is probably the best resolution to the problem.
But now the city loses work.

It all stinks

What if you work at a velocity terminal and you come to work and your load is not ready, does this mean you have to punch in and help build your load? It is pretty vague language but it sounds like if you are at one of these terminals you can do anything. I doubt this would have been approved if this was presented as the new contract as dock and city are going to loose their hiney on this deal and they will be the ones facing layoffs instead of the road. I miss TNT Holland. Switching your own trailer with yard horse working? :wtflol:?

What if you work at a velocity terminal and you come to work and your load is not ready, does this mean you have to punch in and help build your load? It is pretty vague language but it sounds like if you are at one of these terminals you can do anything.
I doubt this would have been approved if this was presented as the new contract as dock and city are going to loose their hiney on this deal and they will be the ones facing layoffs instead of the road.
I miss TNT Holland. Switching your own trailer with yard horse working? :wtflol:?
For what it is worth, it says "However, once the change has been implemented there will be no further local cartage layoffs resulting directly from the reversal of the Utility Employee change." But, I can find a gray area in that also. We will see.

I hope you guys are not falling for these lies. The company said the road was not going to lose jobs with the UE drivers but that was a lie. There was so many road drivers complaining about the UE that the company is going another route. No matter how you look at this jobs will be lost in this case it will be the city. Thanks again to all of the road drivers that have nothing to do but stir up the pot.:nutkick:

I hope this doesnt go through. They already have the option NOT to use the UE anyway, just the same as how they never used the Premium Service Employee. To try to take away city work is just a slap in the face to the city guys. We already voted on our contract, and this was not in there. So now the company can change the contract with a letter of understanding? Who gets to vote on this anyway? If we can simply come in and change the contract on a whim, I have some suggestions as well. Or does it only work one way? The union would be FOOLS to accept such an agreement, and would be misrepresenting the city guys by approving such a letter due to the fact that there is nothing forcing them to use the UE in the first place, and it does nothing but take away city work. I say simply send the current UE guys back where they came from. They can re-negotiate the contract in 4 1/2 years.

For what it is worth, it says "However, once the change has been implemented there will be no further local cartage layoffs resulting directly from the reversal of the Utility Employee change." But, I can find a gray area in that also. We will see.

This whole UE is a gray area.As a matter of fact so is this contract.If there was any unity between city and road and this gets approved,you can bet it will be gone.THERE IS NO WINNERS IN THIS!!!

Bend over and grab your ankles city men if this goes through!!

Who is Chuck D. and how does he have a copy of this letter.
What a disaster this is going to be in big terminals, CH, DE, WH, IN, etc.
IF this is true, nothing is stopping them from implementing UE at a later date.
Road drivers will be doing their own hooks upon returning to the terminal in Detroit within seconds of an approval of this and at most if not all terminals to follow. The TM there has tried this b4 and now he will have the union leadership's approval.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it is time to clean house starting at the top of the International and stopping when and if we finally get someone who represents us and not the companies.

does this mean they can drop and hook at any terminal or just the velocity terminals? just curious and I agree with animal for I work at Detroit in the yard

ANY TERMINAL. The exact wording is 3. "Parties agree that all road drivers can perform any drop and hook of their units as need at all terminals.

Consider this a done deal gentlemen, it is a letter of understanding and all it takes to be approved is 2 company and 2 union signatures. They are having a conference call today 10/15 at 1 PM CDT and I would bet the farm it is a done deal by the time your read this.

Bash me if you want, but taking upwards of 2 hrs. or more at certain terminals to make a switch or even get your truck pulled away from a closed door is what inspired it. I personally have seen people taking 1 hr. to hook and pull a truck out of the dock to a ready line. :hide:

It's a bitter pill to swallow for many but it is a matter of survival. We can either get run over by the non-union competition or have our freight moved more efficiently and to the customer sooner. Ok, I'm ducking now. :hide:

It's a bitter pill to swallow for many but it is a matter of survival. We can either get run over by the non-union competition or have our freight moved more efficiently and to the customer sooner. Ok, I'm ducking now...

I'm glad you're ducking, because I won't if you road drivers come in and start racing around our yard like a few do now when they are arriving and leaving. I'm not worried about getting run over by the competition, I'm worried about getting run over by one of those inconsiderate road drivers who will now have the whole yard to use as what they think is their personal speedway, if this is approved. I'll just pull the switch horse right in front of you if one of you pull that BS at our terminal. A busy yard like ours can't tolerate the mass mahem this will cause, especially when we get some of you not giving a crap about our safety.

BTW, isn't it nice no union official has consulted their members about this "proposal" for any feedback?

I'm glad you're ducking, because I won't if you road drivers come in and start racing around our yard like a few do now when they are arriving and leaving. I'm not worried about getting run over by the competition, I'm worried about getting run over by one of those inconsiderate road drivers who will now have the whole yard to use as what they think is their personal speedway, if this is approved. I'll just pull the switch horse right in front of you if one of you pull that BS at our terminal. A busy yard like ours can't tolerate the mass mahem this will cause, especially when we get some of you not giving a crap about our safety.

BTW, isn't it nice no union official has consulted their members about this "proposal" for any feedback?

Why are you saying this when nothing has happened yet?

The fastest way to take this company down would be to escalate the fighting between the different boards.

We have rules.......10-2-4....If they are not followed point them out to the inconsiderate driver.

I have worked for Holland for over 20 years, and I still do not understand why the road drivers and city drivers are treated so differant. We work for the same company. It's like each terminal is like it's own little company What is the big deal if road drivers do their own drop and hook. City drivers go from terminal to terminal to pick freight up if it gets stranded. If it saves money and makes Holand more profitable, go for it. By the way I am a city driver.

Extra buck$$$

Bend over and grab your ankles city men if this goes through!!

Hooddock:

If this goes through, try finding a city man that will help a road driver on the dock, since from what I understand the road man will be making $1- more an hr. than the city man while he is on the dock. I see a fight by the city man to get that extra buck while he is helping the road driver. Comments?:hide:
I don't see a city driver loading/unloading a trailer while the road man stands there watching him and making that extra buck$$$. Do you??.

GBA:USA: