Holland | Holland To Abolish UE Drivers

For this company to stay (or get back to) being profitable something has to be done. I think that it may be to early to tell what the exact impact will be on the road and city drivers. This is a change that has only happened in the form of a letter and nothing else..so far. I will tell you that I am in management and it only makes sense to have a road driver have the "ability" to do their own drops and hooks. A great example is last night I had a driver come in and sit, on the clock, for an hour for one skid to be taken off. The dock men were all working on other breakers that were handed out before the drop arrived. Flexability is what this new agreement could, if used right, give everyone at Holland. It should not be an us against them issue in any shape or form (management vs drivers, city vs road). Everyone needs to work together and this new agreement can help in that process.

Hey, instead of holding that road driver up for an hour, why didn't you let one of your dockmen stop what he was doing and take about 5 miniutes and pull that shipment off the back of his trailer and save about 45 miniutes, by the time that road driver took a leak, you could have had him ready to go, that sounds like flexibility to me. I don't mean that mean spirited but to me it sounds like that particiular situation could have been managed a little better by you or whoever was in charge. I'm all for working together for the common good for all, but just not at the expense of another employees job. These are tuff times indeed, but if this company can't make a profit with the very generous work rules already in place, its time to take a serious look at who in management is running this place in the ground.

Hey, instead of holding that road driver up for an hour, why didn't you let one of your dockmen stop what he was doing and take about 5 miniutes and pull that shipment off the back of his trailer and save about 45 miniutes, by the time that road driver took a leak, you could have had him ready to go, that sounds like flexibility to me. I don't mean that mean spirited but to me it sounds like that particiular situation could have been managed a little better by you or whoever was in charge. I'm all for working together for the common good for all, but just not at the expense of another employees job. These are tuff times indeed, but if this company can't make a profit with the very generous work rules already in place, its time to take a serious look at who in management is running this place in the ground.
That would take someone with a clue of whats going on.None running our terminal ,how about yours?

A great example is last night I had a driver come in and sit, on the clock, for an hour for one skid to be taken off. The dock men were all working on other breakers that were handed out before the drop arrived. Flexability is what this new agreement could, if used right, give everyone at Holland.
As unionman pointed out, this is mismanagement. THIS type of thing is one of our problems. The SUPERVISOR should be written up for delay of freight! Heck, YOU could have walked out there, opened the door & had the next person driving by take that one skid off in what, like 5 minutes? You HAVE all kinds of flexability, it just has to be used. It's always some kind of new thing that mgmt "needs" in order to be "competitive". How about using a little common sense?

Very Good Post!!
I'd like to see the answer to this one

don't know

That would take someone with a clue of whats going on.None running our terminal ,how about yours?

Well I have been off work since April 30th and hope to be going back soon so I couldn't really tell you for sure, but I would be inclined to say NO.:hysterical:

Maybe we should not have to pay yrc 1 million dollars every week that would be a start and to quit hearing that we are not making any money, if the truth would come out hollland is probably the only one out of the three that are making money. If this goes through city jobs will be lost to the road because we will not need yard guys to do the drop and hooks anymore, which would put more guys available on the dock or city which would result in more layoffs because we have to many guys right now and not enough freight. And how could this seem to be fair when a road driver is on the dock at the same time as a city man he will be making 1 dollar more on the hour, same work should be same pay. The pay difference is just to make the road drivers happy because again they will be one up on the city drivers, and why should they receive a raise when they already do drop and hooks and cross dock now at dark terminals, the job title is not going to change so why should the pay rate.

I will tell you that I am in management
Welcome to the forum. It is always nice to get a different perspective, reasoning, and motovation as to why/how things operate here. Having said that, I think you are in for a little bit of a rough ride. As one of the few (known) people in mgmt here, you will probably take the flak for the rest in mgmt. I myself am dissapointed in mgmt (in general) at Holland. I see very little dispatching common sense, little dock mgmt motovation, lack of dicipline on people that need it the most, and just a general feeling I get that they (some) really dont care what happens, that they just want to put in their time (teamsters are equally guilty of this too) . It's mgmt's job to take a leadership position. It starts from the top. Make it happen:beerchug:

This post sounded like management to me

Local cartage men might be unaware that at some terminals it is not uncommon to wait 3-4 hrs for a drop and hook. Nobody in their right mind can justify this or explain why a local cartage and linehaul man are both on the clock for the same thing. You can't survive very long doing this. Or how many road drivers take a break before going to a terminal knowing that by the time they eventually get there the dock guys will be on duty and he'll sit there and suck up the gravy or to be at a terminal when the whole dock goes to break or lunch while the line haul driver is paid to wait or runs out of hrs ? Times are changing and we must learn to change with the times to stay competitive.
I'm getting off my soap box now and hope everyone takes a good look at this whole deal.

This is the post that made me wonder if you were management and I will tell you why. remember Jack S, the last linehaul manager? I heard him say the exact words you said verbatum about road drivers waiting for a terminal to open, and riding the clock or delaying freight and at the time it really chapped my -ss because he had
such a low opinion of road drivers when he was our terminal manager in Atlanta, and then he got premoted to
linehaul manager. Honestly, I have never thought of or worried about what another driver does as I can only do my job and come to work to give a fair days work for a fair days wage, and I do that every work day. But talking about another drivers taking a break, or nap or how he does his or her job just doesn't sound like one Union person talking to another. And your opinion on a company not being able to survive with a road man and a city man on the clock for the same job, its only been going on here for several decades, and this wasn't an issue until we were aquired this last time. I'm not arguing with you or talking you down, and you are right , I don't know you or anything about you, you may be the nicest person in the world but I guess we will have to agree to disagree on our opinions. Im done with this thread, sorry if I offended anyone. There are more important things to due today like golf.:smilie_132:

There seems to be a lot of crying over the extra one dollar per hour for UE work. If you ******* city men (********) would like to keep wages even and fair be sure to give up your time and a half over 8 and over 40. No one has bothered to mention this as of yet. The road man will never draw a dime of premium pay except for the one dollar per hour so if a man works 8 hours a week on the dock he gets an extra 8 bucks! City board gets more premium pay for just one hour of ot so get off of it allready and grow up

What I dont get is the fact that they just HAD to have the UE to stay competitive.

I think they basically got what they wanted all along..The Road Board converted to UE in one fell swoop. Nothing in that memo of understanding stops them from adding Velocity sort centers. Road drivers will be the only ones doing any kind of drop and hooks, including hooking your own tractor when you report to work. We will be working next to you in every sort center. The just basically eliminated 70 or 80% of their overlapping, and took a chunk out of city overtime because they will be able to "go dark sooner". All by pissing us off for a while and then coming back with a carrot and we did what they wanted.

Hooddock:

If this goes through, try finding a city man that will help a road driver on the dock, since from what I understand the road man will be making $1- more an hr. than the city man while he is on the dock. I see a fight by the city man to get that extra buck while he is helping the road driver. Comments?:hide:
I don't see a city driver loading/unloading a trailer while the road man stands there watching him and making that extra buck$$$. Do you??.

GBA:USA:

Lumpersam, you would be taking a cut in pay if you got our hourly rate plus $1 per hr. more. The road hourly rate is at least $1 less than city in all terminals. The company proposal adds $1 to the road rate, not city rate.

How many of you people have called your local to voice an opinion ?? Complaining on here does nothing to help the cause. I haven't seen anyone offer an alternate plan of action. On the conference call Tyson J said turn it down if you want and the company will continue with the UE COO as planned.If thats what you want then talk to your local instead of complaining afterwards how you were screwed.
A little side note before I disappear.I love it when a local cartage guy calls a linehaul driver lazy or the driver refers to a lazy local cartage man.Most of us take pride in what we do and do a damn good job too boot.I've been doing this for longer then I care to remember with being both at Yellow (17yrs) and Holland (11 1/2 yrs) and the majority of the men I met I'm glad to call my friends with very few of them not carrying their share of the load. I hear enough of this crap from the non-union men on how lazy all of us are and don't need to hear it from a few of our own.
You fellows behave yourselves while I'm gone,I think I've over stayed my welcome. Goodbye

It was said to me by my T.M. the Union walked out upon being handed this. He then removed the proposal I placed off the wall stating I would be causing trouble with the men. What bothers me is some of you so called Teamsters actually would agree with the company rewriting the contract in less than 5 months never mind the 5 years it was agreed upon. If you would like to give something back to management by all means send a check to Holland or Overland Park. Right or wrong this contract was voted in by the majority and signed by all NMFA Cos. Why should Holland be any different? They go by their own rules now by an agreement 48 years old.

You fellows behave yourselves while I'm gone,I think I've over stayed my welcome. Goodbye

Hopefully you are not leaving for good usf-indy.

Your knowledge and insight on matters is always welcome, and I would think all of us appreciate your thorough analysis of the situations.:1036316054: