Holland | Holland To Abolish UE Drivers

Why are you saying this when nothing has happened yet?

The fastest way to take this company down would be to escalate the fighting between the different boards.

We have rules.......10-2-4....If they are not followed point them out to the inconsiderate driver.

My post was based on past experiences, as was stated, so yes it HAS happened already. Many times when RD's leave from their drop they take the long way all the way around our terminal and have come barreling around the corner of the terminal and almost collided with me. I was communicating my concern about how I have felt threatened for my safety in our yard based on the actions of a few road drivers, and that if this proposal becomes reality, it could become worse due to the increase of RD's driving in our busy yard.

I have said before, the UE's were doing Road Work. If the City Men are worried about their jobs they should start with the issue of the Company using $14 part time Labor when there are Men on layoff.

Nothing in that memo of understanding stops them from adding Velocity sort centers. Road drivers will be the only ones doing any kind of drop and hooks, including hooking your own tractor when you report to work. We will be working next to you in every sort center. The just basically eliminated 70 or 80% of their overlapping, and took a chunk out of city overtime because they will be able to "go dark sooner". All by pissing us off for a while and then coming back with a carrot and we did what they wanted.
Don't eat that carrot just yet. You can call a terminal by whatever you want (velocity, etc), that DOES NOT mean you get to re-wright the contract. If a city guy is on duty, that has always been, and will continue to be his work. This is contractual. A proposed letter of understanding will not hold up when it gets to the board. The contract will prevail. That was what was voted on and ratified by the mebers, and signed and agreed to by the company. They can re-negotiate in 2013. As I stated in another post, I heard they already cancelled the cancellation of the UE. Everything is as it has been.

Don't eat that carrot just yet. You can call a terminal by whatever you want (velocity, etc), that DOES NOT mean you get to re-wright the contract. If a city guy is on duty, that has always been, and will continue to be his work. This is contractual. A proposed letter of understanding will not hold up when it gets to the board. The contract will prevail. That was what was voted on and ratified by the mebers, and signed and agreed to by the company. They can re-negotiate in 2013. As I stated in another post, I heard they already cancelled the cancellation of the UE. Everything is as it has been.

I was told that the Abolish UE has been withdrawn.

Hey, instead of holding that road driver up for an hour, why didn't you let one of your dockmen stop what he was doing and take about 5 miniutes and pull that shipment off the back of his trailer and save about 45 miniutes, by the time that road driver took a leak, you could have had him ready to go, that sounds like flexibility to me. I don't mean that mean spirited but to me it sounds like that particiular situation could have been managed a little better by you or whoever was in charge. I'm all for working together for the common good for all, but just not at the expense of another employees job. These are tuff times indeed, but if this company can't make a profit with the very generous work rules already in place, its time to take a serious look at who in management is running this place in the ground.

Very true, somebody could have been pulled off what they were doing and did the drop, I will not argue that. My point was that the driver sat for that period of time when he could have done the work. Why Should we pay 2 people to do what can be done by one? This is an example of how wasteful some of the rules that we have to work by are. I would not bring this up if these changes were not being mentioned but they are so I am, and I am all for this one and anyone that wants to see Holland survive should see that having the road drivers able to do this type of works only makes sense . I also realize that this is a drivers board but there is alot of information here that pertains to my workplace and it is very informative. There are a lot of things that management, on all levels, could do better just as there are things drivers can do better. I am not trying to argue with anyone in here, only state my opinion from a front line supervisors point of view.

Very true, somebody could have been pulled off what they were doing and did the drop, I will not argue that. My point was that the driver sat for that period of time when he could have done the work. Why Should we pay 2 people to do what can be done by one? This is an example of how wasteful some of the rules that we have to work by are. I would not bring this up if these changes were not being mentioned but they are so I am, and I am all for this one and anyone that wants to see Holland survive should see that having the road drivers able to do this type of works only makes sense . I also realize that this is a drivers board but there is alot of information here that pertains to my workplace and it is very informative. There are a lot of things that management, on all levels, could do better just as there are things drivers can do better. I am not trying to argue with anyone in here, only state my opinion from a front line supervisors point of view.

I'm not arguing with you either, but if this is something that "we need to survive" it should have been addressed at contract time, not after the fact. Now let me ask you something, what if your Terminal manager handed you a toilet brush and told you that in order for your terminal to survive or to be profitable , you need to start cleaning the facilities as part of your job as then they won't need the janitor, would you buy into that one? I'm completely serious and I don't mean this inflamatory or as a joke. Well I don't imagine that you would as you didn't come to work to be a janitor, the janitor didn't take the job to be replaced by a " Frontline Supervisor" and the dock and city didn't come to work to be replaced by roadmen. Something is very wrong with this picture and if it weren't so damn sad it would be funny. But I don't think anyone looking at getting laid-off by a misclassification of a job is laughing.

You are more than welcome to post on here! But, I'm sure you know the rules. I look forward to hearing your point of view. But, you also should plan to listen to our point of view, with an open mind. There is a lot of frustration right now.:Violin:

Read your IBT Constitution, that is all I am going to say on the subject.....KK

Read your IBT Constitution, that is all I am going to say on the subject.....KK
Are you implying the IBT can do whatever it wants, regardless of the contract we voted on? (I would like a link to the IBT Constitution, if you could provide one.) Anyway, that may be the straw that breaks the camels back. People are already fed up about being misled, lied to, pushed around (local 705), things that were proposed in writing that never made it in the contract, and now this? You may just have a revolt on your hands, if they (IBT) disregard the contract, and lets the company do (once again) what it wants. The contract is DONE, we've been screwed ENOUGH already. There have been rumblings of Labor Board action, and even de-certification from the Teamsters. Unfortunately, I'm not joking. For the record, I would NEVER want to de-certify, but others feel so taken taken advantage of and misrepresented, that they see this as a viable option.

Curious Lumper.

Are you implying the IBT can do whatever it wants, regardless of the contract we voted on? (I would like a link to the IBT Constitution, if you could provide one.) Anyway, that may be the straw that breaks the camels back. People are already fed up about being misled, lied to, pushed around (local 705), things that were proposed in writing that never made it in the contract, and now this? You may just have a revolt on your hands, if they (IBT) disregard the contract, and lets the company do (once again) what it wants. The contract is DONE, we've been screwed ENOUGH already. There have been rumblings of Labor Board action, and even de-certification from the Teamsters. Unfortunately, I'm not joking. For the record, I would NEVER want to de-certify, but others feel so taken taken advantage of and misrepresented, that they see this as a viable option.

T02, my opinion is that decertification is out of the question, just ask the 70% (all right 67%, 3% diff. big deal) of the membership that voted for this contract. By the way T02 you write about Labor Board action and decertification so where do you get these so called "rumblings" from.

Just curious, is all.

GBA:USA:

There have been rumblings of Labor Board action, and even de-certification from the Teamsters. Unfortunately, I'm not joking. For the record, I would NEVER want to de-certify, but others feel so taken taken advantage of and misrepresented, that they see this as a viable option.

You do not want decert as a viable option. If a decert was successful you have to wait 1 yr. before holding a union vote. I don't think anybody wants to work 1 yr. without a contract or representation.

soap box again

1) decertify. OK, and right after that you can go into the terminal mangers office and get down on your knees and :hide:......no one gonna decertify. 2) of course there isn't a reason why 2 drivers should get paid for one job unless the manger on duty is too stupid to take someone off what they are or were doing and unload the road driver to get them on there way. Seen it more time than i care to. You can tell the manger till you blue in the face and their response is "what you own the company now, GO BACK TO WHAT YOU WERE DOING!":nutkick:. at that point i don't care who gets paid. As a side note, it takes the road guy how long before he would be ready to unload his freight as opposed to a dock-men just to do it. and since we are on the subject, i would think 20 minutes is an average time to strip a trailer of the freight that needs to be moved(this means that you strip off the freight and break it later so the road guy isn't held up) and what a nice break for the road guy to take(i do not mean this as sarcasm). 3) you want the company to make more money or stop losing so much. a)don't damage the freight... there is nothing like working for free because someone's to lazy to do the job right.b) shut the trucks off... how many drivers just let'em run. I'm not talking about when its hot or cold and you are in the truck,but when you are out of the truck, shut it OFF. 4 5 6 7 8 9 i could go on but i don't think the people that need to hear will listen, so ride it till it fails and we all go together because as we all know it doesn't matter how much you do, the company will always want more!!!!!!!!!!!!:chairshot::Rulz:

T02, my opinion is that decertification is out of the question, just ask the 70% (all right 67%, 3% diff. big deal) of the membership that voted for this contract. By the way T02 you write about Labor Board action and decertification so where do you get these so called "rumblings" from.

Just curious, is all.

GBA:USA:
I'm with you on that being out of the question. If your asking me to "drop the dime" on someone, sorry, it's not going to happen. If your from JO (which I believe you are), then you know exactly what I'm talking about. Lets not be coy here. You seen the bulliten board about the labor board thing, and you know of an upcoming event. If your not from JO, then it doesn't concern you. I'm sure you can see why people are upset. Do you feel that the Union has been straight with us lately? Every person I talked to feels that we were lied to and taken advantage of by our own union. Thats no secret. All I ask for is that we get the contract that we voted on, not one modified after the fact,to the companies liking. Is that too much to ask? I would also like them to be honest with us, the dues paying members. Not tell the city guys what they want to hear, and then turn around and tell the road guys what they want to hear, and then do neither of the above. Is that too much to ask? Thats all I want. Others want to take it to another level, and thats their business. They feel that the Union has backed them into a corner, and they are coming out swinging. I just hope our Union gets back on track, and YRC turns things around.

Better yet, let's get rid of Tyson and Gorton S. and put a leader that will work for the members and not with the company!!!!!!

You have all the flexability you need in the UE.Its not our fault that management cannot use it properly. After all it was something you had to have to remain competitive.Now six months later lets abolish it and try something different?

According to the latest USF Holland letter posted in our breakroom, the second Utility COO request is back in action. Read new thread:
"New Posting 10/17 By USF about COO".

A great example is last night I had a driver come in and sit, on the clock, for an hour for one skid to be taken off. The dock men were all working on other breakers that were handed out before the drop arrived.

When that happens that is purely managements fault. I don't think I have ever seen it in anyones work rules where it says that when you are working a trailer that you have to finish it before you can do any other work. Pull someone off and put them on the drop. It's not a difficult concept.