ABF | Hope for our pensions!

I disagree. If it was not paid to you as wages and then deducted from YOUR paycheck as an investment, then it wasn't your money. You voted in pay raises through the years as well, so that argument holds no water.
You really have to applaud our union for the years of negotiations, and before you tear me apart, things have changed a lot of laws against the union, hard to organize, Republicans, Democrats that are in a minority, and the working man does not vote or get interested in who runs our country.

Then why doesn't it show up on your paycheck?
Does what the company put into your 401 k show up. if it does it's not because your being taxed on it. It's just to show you what they gave you. I can go to my pension fund web sight and it tells me exactly how many days they were paid a year because I worked. If I didn't work that week and I didn't use sick or vacation days it wouldn't be paid. There for its compensation. Pretty easy to see that

Does what the company put into your 401 k show up. if it does it's not because your being taxed on it. It's just to show you what they gave you. I can go to my pension fund web sight and it tells me exactly how many days they were paid a year because I worked. If I didn't work that week and I didn't use sick or vacation days it wouldn't be paid. There for its compensation. Pretty easy to see that

You can think whatever you like, but it's not compensation. There is a vesting process in my 401, so if I don't stay long enough to be vested they take the money back. Same as a pension. So it's NOT compensation.

You can think whatever you like, but it's not compensation. There is a vesting process in my 401, so if I don't stay long enough to be vested they take the money back. Same as a pension. So it's NOT compensation.
If you get vested it is then rite? How does the money get there in your 401k. It's compensation on your behalf from the company. Wouldn't get it if you didn't work there. Which makes it money for working at your company. Look up the definition of compensation. Pretty black and white huh?

Also if it's not compensation where does the retirement come from? Just giving away money I guess.

It's a benefit of working those years. You invested no money. It's all house money. So I find it amusing that you get offended as if money that you actually worked hours for, was deducted from your hourly/mileage wage, and is now being pissed away. Investments in a 401 aside from company match is money deducted from my mileage wage, invested for me, and if it loses money then hell yes I'm mad. Same for social security. That's money that is a dollar amount I earned that is being deducted to fund someone else's retirement. If I don't get any of that back then hell yes I'm pissed. I feel for the guys that worked union jobs for 30 plus in easier times and were promised a certain dollar amount that now might not be there because of pension cuts. Those guys were told one thing and might not have chosen to invest privately thinking all was candy canes and roses. A little on the naive side, but entirely understandable, especially before deregulation. Anybody that has worked a union job the last 15-20 and hasn't been socking money away aside from the pension was/is asking for trouble.

If you get vested it is then rite? How does the money get there in your 401k. It's compensation on your behalf from the company. Wouldn't get it if you didn't work there. Which makes it money for working at your company. Look up the definition of compensation. Pretty black and white huh?

Call it what you like but YOU are not setting any of that money aside. YOU have no skin in the game. A pension is a great benefit, if it happens to be there when you retire. But to call it YOUR money when YOU did not put it aside is ludicrous.

Call it what you like but YOU are not setting any of that money aside. YOU have no skin in the game. A pension is a great benefit, if it happens to be there when you retire. But to call it YOUR money when YOU did not put it aside is ludicrous.
Your just mad because u can't read what compensation means in the dictionary. You work and get money or benefits it is compensation. Free medical is compensation too by the way. That's not on my check either

And you're just hateful because you can't break my argument.
I did. If I didn't work for ABF and went to collect my pension in my name they would laugh at me. You get a pension by working for it. Your wrong and can't admit it. post the meaning of compensation! Your wrong and is spelled out in black and white.

You don't UNDERSTAND bargaining. it IS wages, wages that were negotiated for. the pie is only so big, they sliced off a bigger piece for retirement, INSTEAD of taking bigger raises. I would expect nothing less from the same guy who said he wouldn't file a grievance, even if he had money coming...

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't UNDERSTAND bargaining. it IS wages, wages that were negotiated for. the pie is only so big, they sliced off a bigger piece for retirement, INSTEAD of taking bigger raises. I would expect nothing less from the same guy who said he wouldn't file a grievance, even if he had money coming...

I never said I wouldn't file a grievance if money were due, I said that I find it asinine that you spend so much of your day worrying about how you're getting ****ed by the company and trying to take something for nothing as opposed to being more worried about working for it. I would expect nothing less than petty name calling from you either. If you have facts, pound the facts, if you have nothing, pound the table. So go pound sand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said I wouldn't file a grievance if money were due, I said that I find it asinine that you spend so much of your day worrying about how you're getting ****ed by the company and trying to take something for nothing as opposed to being more worried about working for it. I would expect nothing less than petty name calling from you either. If you have facts, pound the facts, if you have nothing, pound the table. So go pound sand.
So explain my medical insurance not being on the check. Must be free now? Your wrong so go pound sand yourself. Done debating with someone that can't admit to being wrong.

com·pen·sa·tion
Variation
IPA[ˌkämpənˈsāSH(ə)n]
n. noun
  • 1. something, typically money, awarded to someone as a recompense for loss, injury, or suffering
    seeking compensation for injuries suffered at work a compensation claim
    Synonym : recompense, repayment, reimbursement, remuneration, requital, indemnification, indemnity, redress, damages, comp
  • 2. the action or process of awarding someone money as a recompense for loss, injury, or suffering
    the compensation of victims
  • 3. the money received by an employee from an employer as a salary or wages
SALARY OR WAGES

wage
Variation
IPA[wāj]
n. noun
EARNED INCOME that is a RETURN to LABOR which means you did something and got paid. Not a defined benefit which is what a pension is.

sal·a·ry
Variation
IPA[ˈsal(ə)rē]
n. noun
1. a fixed regular payment, typically paid on a monthly or biweekly basis but often expressed as an annual sum, made by an employer to an employee, especially a professional or white-collar worker

pen·sion
Variation
IPA[ˈpenSHən]
n. noun
  • 1. a regular payment made during a person's retirement from an investment fund to which that person or their employer has contributed during their working life

So explain my medical insurance not being on the check. Must be free now? Your wrong so go pound sand yourself. Done debating with someone that can't admit to being wrong.

Yeah, that's what I hear around here OVER AND OVER that is such a big benefit of working for a union line. FREE health insurance!

a pension is earned, its compensation paid on your behalf, its NOT a benefit. its like social security, does that help clarify? and yes, unlike you, many union guys CAN get laid, as we don't have garbage health insurance that will bankrupt us with a child!! please tell us more about how much more you make than abf, lol.......