ABF | Hope for our pensions!

com·pen·sa·tion
Variation
IPA[ˌkämpənˈsāSH(ə)n]
n. noun
  • 1. something, typically money, awarded to someone as a recompense for loss, injury, or suffering
    seeking compensation for injuries suffered at work a compensation claim
    Synonym : recompense, repayment, reimbursement, remuneration, requital, indemnification, indemnity, redress, damages, comp
  • 2. the action or process of awarding someone money as a recompense for loss, injury, or suffering
    the compensation of victims
  • 3. the money received by an employee from an employer as a salary or wages
SALARY OR WAGES

wage
Variation
IPA[wāj]
n. noun

EARNED INCOME that is a RETURN to LABOR which means you did something and got paid. Not a defined benefit which is what a pension is.

sal·a·ry
Variation
IPA[ˈsal(ə)rē]
n. noun
1. a fixed regular payment, typically paid on a monthly or biweekly basis but often expressed as an annual sum, made by an employer to an employee, especially a professional or white-collar worker

pen·sion
Variation
IPA[ˈpenSHən]
n. noun
  • 1. a regular payment made during a person's retirement from an investment fund to which that person or their employer has contributed during their working life
Ya and when I retire I get money the company paid in on my behalf. The same way with my insurance, it's not on my check but magically gets paid for by a invisible person. Fairy god mother I guess

Ya and when I retire I get money the company paid in on my behalf. The same way with my insurance, it's not on my check but magically gets paid for by a invisible person. Fairy god mother I guess

Yes the company paid it on your behalf, that's a BENEFIT of employment, not a wage. You just want to claim control of the money so you have something to bitch about.

Yes the company paid it on your behalf, that's a BENEFIT of employment, not a wage. You just want to claim control of the money so you have something to bitch about.
The flaw in your reasoning is that when conditions of employment were negotiated (the contract), the monetary portion was left to the Union and the members to decide how much went to wages and how much went into H.W.&P. So in a very real sense it is "our" money.

I disagree. If it was not paid to you as wages and then deducted from YOUR paycheck as an investment, then it wasn't your money. You voted in pay raises through the years as well, so that argument holds no water.
So, when did you disagreeing with something make it right. It is our money and yes they did steal it and yes our wages would have been even higher prior to 2008 when you non- union leaches were praying for all of the union companies to get another raise so you could get 1/4 of what we did. All that while you were sweating 10 to 15 hours of overtime for your entire career with no overtime compensation. Oh yea, while I'm on a roll how does everyone at OD like sitting in the break room with no starting time while their freight is being cross-docked and loaded on a city unit. Oh yea, hope those deductibles were not to high at the Dr. And Hospital your entire career while our insurance was 100% paid for as another part of our contract. You may gloate a little today now that the union companies are struggling but OD has ripped you off your entire freight career and they have you so brainwashed that you now believe them to be telling the truth.

The Supreme Court today ruled that the Federal subsidies for Obamacare are legal, 6-3. much to the chagrin of the Republican leadership. To Mark the occasion, John Boehner vowed for another vote to de-fund "this broken law"..... as he called it. What is the definition of insanity again? To do something over and over and expect a different result.......yeah, that's it. No word on an alternative, or attempts to modify or make it better for working people from the Republican side,.......just de-fund and be rid of.....By the way, about 20 years ago, ABF did print up a sheet with pension payments and health care payments as negotiated included in your gross pay. They did this for one year to demonstrate the tax breaks we were seeing, as opposed to being taxed on the complete compensation package. I guess ABF regards pension payments as individual compensation.

The Supreme Court today ruled that the Federal subsidies for Obamacare are legal, 6-3. much to the chagrin of the Republican leadership. To Mark the occasion, John Boehner vowed for another vote to de-fund "this broken law"..... as he called it. What is the definition of insanity again? To do something over and over and expect a different result.......yeah, that's it. No word on an alternative, or attempts to modify or make it better for working people from the Republican side,.......just de-fund and be rid of.....By the way, about 20 years ago, ABF did print up a sheet with pension payments and health care payments as negotiated included in your gross pay. They did this for one year to demonstrate the tax breaks we were seeing, as opposed to being taxed on the complete compensation package. I guess ABF regards pension payments as individual compensation.
Being that Obamacare is settled now how would the people at ABF like being on one of the ACA's plans?

Being that Obamacare is settled now how would the people at ABF like being on one of the ACA's plans?
Obama care plans suck. And cost way more in deductibles than our plans. I looked it up, for me and my wife it would cost 850 a month and the deductible was 5000. Was the best plan they had in my state.

Obama care plans suck. And cost way more in deductibles than our plans. I looked it up, for me and my wife it would cost 850 a month and the deductible was 5000. Was the best plan they had in my state.
I dunno, I researched the Bamma Care and I can get top notch for $825/month. I don't know what COBRA costs but I'll bet it's more like $1200/month. I can get the cheap ::shit:: for in the $400's/month and I'm pretty healthy and confident it would be sufficient for a few years yet.

I dunno, I researched the Bamma Care and I can get top notch for $825/month. I don't know what COBRA costs but I'll bet it's more like $1200/month. I can get the cheap :::shit::: for in the $400's/month and I'm pretty healthy and confident it would be sufficient for a few years yet.
I just couldn't imagine having two kids and a wife and only making $300 to $400 a week and then it be expected to buy insurance on top of it. I think I'll stick with our insurance as long as it's there! LOL

I just couldn't imagine having two kids and a wife and only making $300 to $400 a week and then it be expected to buy insurance on top of it. I think I'll stick with our insurance as long as it's there! LOL
For those in that situation there are subsidies. That was the crux of canaryinthemine's post (at least I thought it was).

I guess you do have a point. I was going off of my income there was no subsidies.
I know one of the common complaints I hear is that the ummm errrr uuuu 'jobless' get "free" Bammer Care under this plan. But what did they pay for it before?

It's like making a deal to paint my house for $500 and i buy you a case of beer. After you paint the house for me i pay you the money but dont give you a case of beer. Since I was buying it for you it really isnt your.....which is your argument, although the case of beer was part of the deal.
I dont think it gets much simpler than that lol

Most people just went to the emergency room. Can't refuse ya there. We all end up paying for it anyway I guess

This is why a hospital visit costs $5k. Hospitals pass on the costs for the uninsured who get care and cant pay for it to everyone else. We've been paying for the uninsured for quite some time and it is driving up insurance costs and the price of healthcare at an alarming rate.