Estes | hope it's not true

DW5thousand

TB Lurker
Credits
Well I dont know if I'm behind on the news or what but I heard ( I HEARD) "drivertalk" now, that there were over 200 people laid off in the western half. I HOPE I heard wrong, but I want to say if it's true "guys, for what it's worth, I AM truley sorry" if any of you were affected by this. Again I hope this is NOT true. I'm a driver myself (L/H), and I or alot of us could be next. Seems to me managment needs to wake up and realize where all the "dead weight" is coming from. Drivers GENERATE revenue,,,,,,,,,,,,,,management DRAWS it!!!!

I heard it was 40 something. I know Boise lost 2. I think Pocatello lost 2, Portland 0
Reno 0 I think. I have not heard of 200plus. That would be a huge reduction and would have more terminals with huge layoffs. I have not heard of huge layoffs in the northwest, just a few here and there.

WHY the lay offs? no freight or is estes going down the tubes?they did not start laying off guys until nov of last year.# 165 let 7 drivers 13 dock workers and 2 dock bosses go last nov.none of those guys were rehired.is it just getting worse at estes?WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GREAT BIG E?

WHY the lay offs? no freight or is estes going down the tubes?they did not start laying off guys until nov of last year.# 165 let 7 drivers 13 dock workers and 2 dock bosses go last nov.none of those guys were rehired.is it just getting worse at estes?WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GREAT BIG E?
Good point roadmann. We have been drastically slow for about a year and a half now. Thats a long time to just blame it on a slow economy. Especially when freight haulers like Old Dominion,Triple A,R&L,.......are leaving us behind by about 10 to 15 %. Well, thats the number I was told. Not to mention what the big boys are doing,,,,UPS freight,,,,,,Fed Ex freight.

With the Estes arrogance and lack of aggression to go after business, yes Estes will be left behind and will eventually close the doors. This company is the only one that I have ever been a part of that allows their terminal mgrs to run that terminal like it is his own company. Some of these mgrs are rejects of other more sucessful LTL carriers. With people like this, very un qualified to even work at McDonald`s are running the big E straight into the ground.

I have only noticed a slow down since we lost HD. I know we still haul HD but it is not from HD it is from our customers. If we get HD back we will be busier than the last year.

flatbeds

I really dont think we'll get it back myself. I know the terminal Im out of we could'nt keep from tearing it all to peices. And what ever happened to all those hundreds of flatbeds Big E bought? I mean hundreds of 'em! Just to let grass grow up around them.Never put the first mile on em.:hysterical:

I don`t think we will ever get it back and I hope I am wrong. I know we have destroyed a good bit of it, and we have not budged on the rates a cent. Our current linehaul planning strategies are terrible OUR SERVICE IS TERRIBLE!!!!

I really dont think we'll get it back myself. I know the terminal Im out of we could'nt keep from tearing it all to peices. And what ever happened to all those hundreds of flatbeds Big E bought? I mean hundreds of 'em! Just to let grass grow up around them.Never put the first mile on em.:hysterical:

I believe the whole flatbed division was something Robs sister started because she was bored,I used to pass two or three flatbeds every morning on my way into work ,but haven't seen any in awhile.The flatbeds where supposed to have been hauling HD lumber but when we lost Hd freight I'm not sure if that went by by also,I know as a P&D driver I sure as hell would like to see one on our yard.And for the news of the really weird ,my TM was informed by home office that our terminal will be charged rent on all emty trailers on our yard to be paid back to home office every month ,it gets better,our terminal also has to pay Richmond's dispatchers salaries to the tune of 90.000 that comes out of our bottom line.I can smell the books being cooked as we speak.

my TM was informed by home office that our terminal will be charged rent on all emty trailers on our yard to be paid back to home office every month ,it gets better,our terminal also has to pay Richmond's dispatchers salaries to the tune of 90.000 that comes out of our bottom line.I can smell the books being cooked as we speak.

Well it doesnt really matter if this is true. It is all Estes money in the end. So I do not see any reason to get the rumor mill going over this. We have enough going on allready.

246 drivers laid off?
There are 66 terminals in Estes West. out of those 66 you can take away the ones that are ran by TM/ drivers. So figure 7 just to be safe. I know there is more but that is a safe number. So we are down to 59 now minus the ones we know about already den 6 gj 1 poc 0 boi 2 spo 0 ren 0 ptl 0. thats 7 less for 52 terminals and minus laid off 246-9=237. that averages out to be 4.56 drivers laid off per terminal. I would belive that over half of the terminals left would not have to lay anyone off. so that would be an average of 26 terminals laying off an average of 9 line drivers I do not think that is an accurate number. I might be wrong

246 drivers laid off?
There are 66 terminals in Estes West. out of those 66 you can take away the ones that are ran by TM/ drivers. So figure 7 just to be safe. I know there is more but that is a safe number. So we are down to 59 now minus the ones we know about already den 6 gj 1 poc 0 boi 2 spo 0 ren 0 ptl 0. thats 7 less for 52 terminals and minus laid off 246-9=237. that averages out to be 4.56 drivers laid off per terminal. I would belive that over half of the terminals left would not have to lay anyone off. so that would be an average of 26 terminals laying off an average of 9 line drivers I do not think that is an accurate number. I might be wrong

I read in another post wher 246 had to let 2 go. I had to read it twice because if you're reading through all these post rather quickly, you might take it as 246 being let go rather than terminal 246 letting 2 go.

I read in another post wher 246 had to let 2 go. I had to read it twice because if you're reading through all these post rather quickly, you might take it as 246 being let go rather than terminal 246 letting 2 go.

246 is boise. That was probably one of my posts. Sorry if some of my jibberish isnt comprehensible.