TForce | HOT OFF THE FAX... 05/08/09 UPS Freight National Dessions

9. The Company shall continue its practice of 2-hour show up pay; however, the parties agree the employee shall first be afforded his or her right under Article 5 to displace less senior employees provided work is available If no work is available and the employee was not informed of the run being cut (or other lack of work) until he or she arrived at the service center, then the 2-hour show up pay shall apply.

This is going to be a Nightmare right here!

This understanding should have specified that it was applicable to the 10% tile...

If Your in the 90% tile - Your Guaranteed Eight (8)!

The company is really going to F-with this one!

You Watch!

This understanding is going to create Havoc for the next year...

Just like the 90 & 10% language did - over this last year!

I expected more - out of this understanding!

This is BS!
THE COMPANY STILL HAS TO GO BY SENIORITY, THEY CAN'T SEND YOU HOME IF THERE ARE JUNIOR MEN WORKING AND THEY HAVE TO CALL YOU BACK IN BEFORE THEY WORK A JUNIOR MAN. As it is now the company can cancel bottom guys start times and they don't work for the day, at least with this if they don't answer the phone and just show up they can get 2 hours. This is another issue to be straightened out next contract.

9. The Company shall continue its practice of 2-hour show up pay; however, the parties agree the employee shall first be afforded his or her right under Article 5 to displace less senior employees provided work is available If no work is available and the employee was not informed of the run being cut (or other lack of work) until he or she arrived at the service center, then the 2-hour show up pay shall apply.

This is going to be a Nightmare right here!

This understanding should have specified that it was applicable to the 10% tile...

If Your in the 90% tile - Your Guaranteed Eight (8)!

The company is really going to F-with this one!

You Watch!

This understanding is going to create Havoc for the next year...

Just like the 90 & 10% language did - over this last year!

I expected more - out of this understanding!

This is BS!

The issue of weather or not we are guaranteed 8 or 40 is still in grievance.(8 when scheduled or at punch in, 40 if availible for all scheduled work days). The bottom line is that they have to go by seniority. If you show up at 9 am and they say there is no work and junior driver left yard at 830 am, you will have a right to take that work or be paid for that time. The management knew full well that when they dispatched junior driver that ther was no work for you.

THE COMPANY STILL HAS TO GO BY SENIORITY, THEY CAN'T SEND YOU HOME IF THERE ARE JUNIOR MEN WORKING AND THEY HAVE TO CALL YOU BACK IN BEFORE THEY WORK A JUNIOR MAN. As it is now the company can cancel bottom guys start times and they don't work for the day, at least with this if they don't answer the phone and just show up they can get 2 hours. This is another issue to be straightened out next contract.

The issue of weather or not we are guaranteed 8 or 40 is still in grievance.(8 when scheduled or at punch in, 40 if availible for all scheduled work days). The bottom line is that they have to go by seniority. If you show up at 9 am and they say there is no work and junior driver left yard at 830 am, you will have a right to take that work or be paid for that time.

I'm hearing Ya!

But, this is where the problem is going to Lie (and I mean that literally - Lie!):

The management knew full well that when they dispatched junior driver that ther was no work for you.

Without getting into detail (scenes how I use to personally administer this sort of understanding) there's a little thing called - Window Seniority and not being able to Predict the Future... If You are truely interested in circumventing this sort of understanding.

Might I suggest...

If confronted with this scenario...

Don't just accept the two (2) hours and go home!

Do something...

Grab a broom / empty out trash barrels... hang around for two (2) hours!

If You suspect malicious intent (that Your being worked around)...

This will force the company to remain - Honest!

They won't be able to bring a junior man or woman back off the street to take what might have mysteriously developed after Your departure...

And in the case of the Road - If a Foreign Driver is brought in to run Your terminals freight... at least You will be in place to challenge the companies motivation and or intention - and document the equipment being taken!

Forewarned is Forearmed!

This has Bad Intentions written all over it!

Everyone needs to remain vigilant and keep Their eyes focused on all occurrences!

If someone goes home... others need to rise to the occasion and reveal to those affected - real time information!

The only way to Harness any sort of potential abuse to this understanding is to grieve it's misuse - Immediately!

This implementation and understanding needs to be completely understood by those administering it - prior to Us getting into the winter months...

Otherwise, this will be another extension and way for the company to expand the 10% and lay-offs - to their benefit - without repercussion... if not nipped in the butt... throughout this summer.

If a road run is cut, can you bump the next junior driver under this ruling? Or do you still go to the bottom of the extra board? Can you choose what driver to bump?

My point was that we were on 4-10's one month before contract radification, we then greived it. After a year of arguing, the tm changed us back to 5-8's last week. Now can the tm change it back and forth since we were on 4-10's before radification and this new mou came into effect.

4-10's might be okay if you had a 3 day weekend, instead of tues. sat. and sun. day off. Also if we werent starting so late that we were missing a lot of customer pick ups, and having bring backs. 4-10's work if they were being managed properly, not the way our terminal works them.

If the 4-10 schedule was in effect before ratificaion then management can revert back to it, with no negoitiating.

I'm hearing Ya!

But, this is where the problem is going to Lie (and I mean that literally - Lie!):

Without getting into detail (scenes how I use to personally administer this sort of understanding) there's a little thing called - Window Seniority and not being able to Predict the Future... If You are truely interested in circumventing this sort of understanding.

Might I suggest...

Do something...

They won't be able to bring a junior man or woman back off the street to take what might have mysteriously developed after Your departure...

And in the case of the Road - If a Foreign Driver is brought in to run Your terminals freight... at least You will be in place to challenge the companies motivation and or intention - and document the equipment being taken!

Forewarned is Forearmed!

Everyone needs to remain vigilant and keep Their eyes focused on all occurrences!

If someone goes home... others need to rise to the occasion and reveal to those affected - real time information!

The only way to Harness any sort of potential abuse to this understanding is to grieve it's misuse - Immediately!

This implementation and understanding needs to be completely understood by those administering it - prior to Us getting into the winter months...

Otherwise, this will be another extension and way for the company to expand the 10% and lay-offs - to their benefit - without repercussion... if not nipped in the butt... throughout this summer.

Exactly this MOU is a mixed bag it gives us some ammo and it gives management just as much, why does it say were entitled or 2 hours when were are entitled for 8.

Also Teams delayed at terminals waiting for freight are gonna be asked to work the dock if they refuse that then there gonna sit on there time and not be paid.

Exactly this MOU is a mixed bag it gives us some ammo and it gives management just as much, why does it say were entitled or 2 hours when were are entitled for 8.

Also Teams delayed at terminals waiting for freight are gonna be asked to work the dock if they refuse that then there gonna sit on there time and not be paid.

Since you have to swipe your own card, does the man in the bunk now have to get up and swipe his card. "Overnite" brings up a good point, do they both have to work as directed? Do they both have to log on duty not driving, since this is paid for time?

This is a good example of how the contract is a work in progress. Each victory brings a few more problems. Why do some managers take every opportunity to save a few pennies by twisting against the drivers? They end up costing both sides much more than they think they save, after we have to go back to the table to work it out.

We had PCM a while back that said we have to use handrails going up and down stairs, there is no way to bring heavy freight up or down stairs and use the handrail. Using the handrail is proper policy and procedure for UPS Freight. This is also stated in Safe Work Methods pamphlet. UPS Freight can't have it both ways, we need to do what is safe and protect ourselves from needless injuries.

I feel a grievance comming on!!!! The unfortunate truth is we have never had this training, where can I get this pamphlet, our TM spends little time on safety around here, we have to bust him every chance we get.

I am quite sure if I ask him of this in some safety book or policy book in his posession he will hide it, and say it does not exist.:clap::clap:

Since you have to swipe your own card, does the man in the bunk now have to get up and swipe his card. "Overnite" brings up a good point, do they both have to work as directed? Do they both have to log on duty not driving, since this is paid for time?

This is a good example of how the contract is a work in progress. Each victory brings a few more problems. Why do some managers take every opportunity to save a few pennies by twisting against the drivers? They end up costing both sides much more than they think they save, after we have to go back to the table to work it out.

It is called "justification of existance". If a labor manager sits around all day doing the Maytag repair pose, his boss will give him something else to do, so he mite just want to get paid for what he does as opposed to something else.:biglaugh:

I'm hearing Ya!

Might I suggest...

Do something...

Forewarned is Forearmed!

The practice you have mentioned about the broom we practice as well, but, they tell these people hanging around for 2 hours to go home. I feel another grievance comming on.......:clap::clap:

With the Diads in place, and knowing full well what is comming down the pipeline after the PU&D shift ,the company should, in time, if not currently, be able to plan knowing full well how many trucks will be used, especially the terminal's shipping to breaks.

Forecasting is a little ridiculous for us and then Central cuts runs within 1\2 hr. prior to departure. Anyone in the 90% should be getting 8 and not 2. Same for P&D.

I also have a problem with this Non garuntee's, these people can be sent home before 8 if they pick a non garuntee bid in pu&d and are part of the 90%. Then MGNT can call in a person on layoff, and work them 8.

I was under the impression the non garuntee was for the 10%, not the 90% bid or no bid.

The practice you have mentioned about the broom we practice as well, but, they tell these people hanging around for 2 hours to go home. I feel another grievance comming on.......:clap::clap:

With the Diads in place, and knowing full well what is comming down the pipeline after the PU&D shift ,the company should, in time, if not currently, be able to plan knowing full well how many trucks will be used, especially the terminal's shipping to breaks.

Forecasting is a little ridiculous for us and then Central cuts runs within 1\2 hr. prior to departure. Anyone in the 90% should be getting 8 and not 2. Same for P&D.

I also have a problem with this Non garuntee's, these people can be sent home before 8 if they pick a non garuntee bid in pu&d and are part of the 90%. Then MGNT can call in a person on layoff, and work them 8.

I was under the impression the non garuntee was for the 10%, not the 90% bid or no bid.

YOU CAN BUMP ANY JUNIOR WORKER OFF THE CLOCK. That would be any 10%er and all cauals. If you are a 90%er. The bottom line is seniority prevails.

I'd like to know - where it is written... that this company can cut a scheduled Road Bid or for that matter a City Peddle...

IMO - this is the Grey Area!

It's not Our contract!

Our contract specifies that We run - if in the 90% tile (period)

We don't work by the day (like They do in the NMFA)...

We (90% tile) work by the Week - in accordance to Article 18 Section 2.

The schedule for full-time employees shall be posted by Friday of the preceding workweek.

This is where the company needs to plan ahead!

Not by the Day...

Or in the Moment!

The only adjustment that They can make during the week (with the 90% tile) is to move Your start time up – up to two (2) hours... not to cancel You at Their discretion.

The Company may alter the start time on a daily basis for more than two (2) hours provided the employee is notified prior to reporting to work.

If the company is going to cancel a guaranteed Road schedule or City Peddle - They need to post that information by Friday of the preceding work week!

See... this is the difficulty (for Them) and reasoning - why They are not doing it!

We are still guaranteed forty (40) hours per week.

So, if They do cancel a run (city peddle for instance - more so then the Road) They still need to be able to guarantee that run! (that run will have to change to - 4/10's for Them to fulfill Their obligation)

If there is No Freight going to the area for which a Bid Peddle need to be cut - that Driver doesn't get canceled... he or she becomes unassigned - covering volumes or extra loads... then should go into his or her area for pick-up's! (there is no way that there is not going to be at least one delivery or at least one pick-up in an affected area!)

In the case of the Road... the schedule runs Wild (can or should be run through another terminal or run MTY to a point where there is returning freight)...

This MOU leaves this understanding - wide open for unjustifiable abuse and or manipulation!

Compounded by the fact that Our union officials haven't settle this part of the language - with the company:

Ninety percent (90%) of the full-time employees holding bid jobs will be guaranteed a minimum of eight (8) hours pay per day when put to work and the standard guaranteed workweek shall be forty (40) hours per week.

We understand it!

I don't understand why everyone else (union officials and UPS Freight labor relation managers) doesn't!

Perhaps both parties are more interested in another year of T-Time and Negotiation Meetings (Yea… I said that – Prove Me Wrong!) - over something that needed Expeditious Resolution thirteen (13) months ago!

I'd like to know - where it is written... that this company can cut a scheduled Road Bid or for that matter a City Peddle...

IMO - this is the Grey Area!

It's not Our contract!

Our contract specifies that We run - if in the 90% tile (period)

We don't work by the day (like They do in the NMFA)...

We (90% tile) work by the Week - in accordance to Article 18 Section 2.

The schedule for full-time employees shall be posted by Friday of the preceding workweek.

This is where the company needs to plan ahead!

Not by the Day...

Or in the Moment!

The only adjustment that They can make during the week (with the 90% tile) is to move Your start time up – up to two (2) hours... not to cancel You at Their discretion.

The Company may alter the start time on a daily basis for more than two (2) hours provided the employee is notified prior to reporting to work.

If the company is going to cancel a guaranteed Road schedule or City Peddle - They need to post that information by Friday of the preceding work week!

See... this is the difficulty (for Them) and reasoning - why They are not doing it!

We are still guaranteed forty (40) hours per week.

So, if They do cancel a run (city peddle for instance - more so then the Road) They still need to be able to guarantee that run! (that run will have to change to - 4/10's for Them to fulfill Their obligation)

If there is No Freight going to the area for which a Bid Peddle need to be cut - that Driver doesn't get canceled... he or she becomes unassigned - covering volumes or extra loads... then should go into his or her area for pick-up's! (there is no way that there is not going to be at least one delivery or at least one pick-up in an affected area!)

In the case of the Road... the schedule runs Wild (can or should be run through another terminal or run MTY to a point where there is returning freight)...

This MOU leaves this understanding - wide open for unjustifiable abuse and or manipulation!

Compounded by the fact that Our union officials haven't settle this part of the language - with the company:

Ninety percent (90%) of the full-time employees holding bid jobs will be guaranteed a minimum of eight (8) hours pay per day when put to work and the standard guaranteed workweek shall be forty (40) hours per week.

We understand it!

I don't understand why everyone else (union officials and UPS Freight labor relation managers) doesn't!

Perhaps both parties are more interested in another year of T-Time and Negotiation Meetings (Yea… I said that – Prove Me Wrong!) - over something that needed Expeditious Resolution thirteen (13) months ago!

The part about the guaranteed 8 and 40 hrs is going to the arbitor. But no one is getting any back pay on the issue.

Say I am in the bunk off duty for 8 hours. The driver on duty for the same. The terminal makes me get up & work the dock. That's fine. But after 2 or 3 hours, I am needing to have another 10 hours of rest before I can drive, and the man originally on duty has 3 or 4 hours left to work before he needs 10 hours off. Then does it become 2 hotel rooms on the clock for both of us? Since we can't really go anywhere, how do we leave? Only room for 1 in the bunk in any sleeper I am in. :biglaugh:

The company is going to put sleeper teams on the dock to do dock work? As tight as the compnay controls hours, how would this work?

'O.K. you 2 guys go on the dock and basically kill time and look as though you are working.':biglaugh:

Say I am in the bunk off duty for 8 hours. The driver on duty for the same. The terminal makes me get up & work the dock. That's fine. But after 2 or 3 hours, I am needing to have another 10 hours of rest before I can drive, and the man originally on duty has 3 or 4 hours left to work before he needs 10 hours off. Then does it become 2 hotel rooms on the clock for both of us? Since we can't really go anywhere, how do we leave? Only room for 1 in the bunk in any sleeper I am in. :biglaugh:

I don't follow what your saying, if your off duty in the bunk there not gonna pay you, your off duty, if you are gonna be paid then you have to log your time as onduty not driving, right? So it doesn't matter if your on the dock pushing a broom or sitting in your bunk if your getting paid it counts as onduty time.

I think Management is going to offer all teams when they roll through the gate a trip to the hotel or dockwork.

I think Management is going to offer all teams when they roll through the gate a trip to the hotel or dockwork.

I think all the teams should take them up on the dockwork offer, then roll out the gate, pull over to the curb, and take their 10 off.