FedEx Freight | Hot Topic- One Board Or Two Boards

Someone just posted about the poor schmuck that has to run 150 miles and work the dock. Try 78 miles each way and working the dock. This is the bottom run at HSG to HGR for 5 drivers.

Someone just posted about the poor schmuck that has to run 150 miles and work the dock. Try 78 miles each way and working the dock. This is the bottom run at HSG to HGR for 5 drivers.

If I'm not mistaken JDK, I think there is some centers in Chicago that run into CGT. There mileage is around 30 miles one way, and work the dock at Chicago heights.

It just kills me to listen to some drivers complain about having to work 2 or 3 hours on the dock after driving 150 or 200+ miles one way, when there are drivers driving far less (like the 30 each way you just mentioned) and having to work the dock 5 to 7 hours a night. Consider yourself lucky if you get over 150 miles each way...

It just kills me to listen to some drivers complain about having to work 2 or 3 hours on the dock after driving 150 or 200+ miles one way, when there are drivers driving far less (like the 30 each way you just mentioned) and having to work the dock 5 to 7 hours a night. Consider yourself lucky if you get over 150 miles each way...

There should be a premium of some sort for such a low mileage run... Just as there should be a premium paid for a night run (mileage & hourly rate) as opposed to day run... IMHO

It would be nice, but I don't see that happening. What would be nice is for the hourly rate to be level with what you would earn driving. Of course that would raise the hourly rate to about $30.00 an hour. And we all know that that is not going to happen.

I have been here over 15 years. The worst thing anybody can do that works for this company is take a voluntary transfer. Time with the company doesnt mean squat.

Why would it be fair to the guys of the barn you are transferring to if you bumped them down.

If I spent 20 years as a dock hand and then trained to be a driver, would it be fair for me to bump everyone that has been driving for the last 19 years? I don't think so.

Hay Jeff.... is this your faster truck?

Why would it be fair to the guys of the barn you are transferring to if you bumped them down.

If I spent 20 years as a dock hand and then trained to be a driver, would it be fair for me to bump everyone that has been driving for the last 19 years? I don't think so.

Not unless they were qualified to be a driver and held a CDL for the whole time.You can't Qualify to be a driver unless you are licensed to do so.
Some dock hands have had CDL's the whole time and if thats the case they should be able to bid anywhere they want if they have the fuzz

Here we go again, the majority that want one board and single senority is those who did not want to tuff out the night shift to build up the road runs. I will say this we need each other to make this freight business work, so in turn why screw it up because of his/her short cummings and to scared to make the jump when they had the chance too!

I would like too see the road board go to a 3 times a year bid to maybe give a chance to pass the runs around.
I know some will stay on the same run, but most would jump long to short to even nights if they knew the bids was only 4 months long.

Jeff, earlier post you said attack the subject not the person but my opinion is it always turns too slammin each other instead of the subject, this always happens it's are nature has humans and being passionate about what we believe in, This is why I try to steer from these subjects ie: religion and polltics..... Besides we dont have much say in this matter it's up to the white shirts on the hill!!

Not unless they were qualified to be a driver and held a CDL for the whole time.You can't Qualify to be a driver unless you are licensed to do so.
Some dock hands have had CDL's the whole time and if thats the case they should be able to bid anywhere they want if they have the fuzz

it would if you stay at same center .they wan;t the dock workers to get their cdl in case they need them in a pinch so why not you put your time in sam:bowdown:e as any road/city /dock whats it matter what job you are doing one big happy family supposed to be any way

Why does everyone automatically assume all the city drivers want to go to the road? Have you ever thought that maybe a road driver would like to go to the city?
Nobody in their right mind would transfer to the city only to go to the bottom and still work the dock all night but for less money.

The best jobs at this company should be occupied by those who have been with the company the longest if they are doing the same job (driving a truck)

Why does everyone automatically assume all the city drivers want to go to the road? Have you ever thought that maybe a road driver would like to go to the city?
Nobody in their right mind would transfer to the city only to go to the bottom and still work the dock all night but for less money.

The best jobs at this company should be occupied by those who have been with the company the longest if they are doing the same job (driving a truck)

Well said :bowdown:

nah.

I don't want to go back to the city .....what I really want is to stop driving a truck. ..:Flame-On:... but where can you go with this company .... if you have drove a truck for them?????

I can't move ....

I really liked the way it was done at Yellow when I worked there, I Linehaul board and 1 cartage board. Linehaul were only linehaul guys and cartage had Dock, P&D and Hostlers. If you were cartage then you could bid any job you were qualified for. Here if you wanted to goto line from city or vise versa you had to quit for 6 months and 1 day so you couldn't bring your seniority with you.

What about job performance, a satisfactory job performance should also be required. I am talking about laziness not normal aging.

What about job performance, a satisfactory job performance should also be required. I am talking about laziness not normal aging.

If you don't perform in a Non Union company they can fire you anytime they want so that would be a call for the management

We were told it could never go to 1 board due to the fact when the company first started they used contractors to get city freight and they don't have an exact start date for those guys. So they said there would be no fair way to do it.

Hey train

Who would be hurt???
Not train but I'll give it a shot.

Possibly the guys that after years on the city board finally got the chance to transfer to road and again had to work their way up from the bottom, sitting by the phone, running short shuttles, some being gone from home all week.

Now if they were to change it someone who didn't want to sacrifice again at the bottom could, I say could not necessarily that they would, come out and push the one who sacrificed not once but twice down on the board again.

Of course this may also happen in reverse in some cases, but not as likely. As if you had a chance to walk into a day bid, even a short one making as much if not more than you are in the city why wouldn't you?

FM

If I'm not mistaken JDK, I think there is some centers in Chicago that run into CGT. There mileage is around 30 miles one way, and work the dock at Chicago heights.

We have several guys that go to CGX and CGT. CGX is around 35 miles and CGT is 52 miles They used to let the drivers over here that ran under 50 miles one way choose whether they wanted to be paid mileage or hourly. They said this was do to drivers not wanting to bid a CGT run out of GCX because with traffic it might take you 2 hours to go the 30 some miles. But like all good things that came to an end When us city drivers had to run a shuttle run to CGX it wasn't bad getting paid hourly, but when they switched it to mileage nobody in their right mind would do it.