Hour of service possible changes

Stimpy

Wingnut
Credits
FMCSA Seeks Public Comment on Revising Current Hours-of-Service Regulations for Interstate Truck Drivers

The four specific areas under consideration for revision are:

• Expanding the current 100 air-mile “short-haul” exemption from 12 hours on-duty to 14 hours on-duty, in order to be consistent with the rules for long-haul truck drivers;
  • Extending the current 14-hour on-duty limitation by up to two hours when a truck driver encounters adverse driving conditions;
  • Revising the current mandatory 30-minute break for truck drivers after 8-hours of continuous driving; and
  • Reinstating the option for splitting up the required 10-hour off-duty rest break for drivers operating trucks that are equipped with a sleeper-berth compartment.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/newsroom/...nt-hours-service-regulations-interstate-truck

FMCSA Seeks Public Comment on Revising Current Hours-of-Service Regulations for Interstate Truck Drivers

The four specific areas under consideration for revision are:

• Expanding the current 100 air-mile “short-haul” exemption from 12 hours on-duty to 14 hours on-duty, in order to be consistent with the rules for long-haul truck drivers;
    • Extending the current 14-hour on-duty limitation by up to two hours when a truck driver encounters adverse driving conditions;
    • Revising the current mandatory 30-minute break for truck drivers after 8-hours of continuous driving; and
    • Reinstating the option for splitting up the required 10-hour off-duty rest break for drivers operating trucks that are equipped with a sleeper-berth compartment.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/newsroom/...nt-hours-service-regulations-interstate-truck
if i were to still be working, that new air mile short haul would work wonders for me.. the 30 minute break, i'd nearly never need it, or take it at the end of my route, as most nights, i'd be done in like 8.5 to 9 hours, weather permitting.

actually, get rid of the insipid 30 minute break, WE KNOW WHEN WE WANT to stop, we do not need "Big Bro" to tell us to take a break.

The best part I read is they are considering bringing back the 5 and 5 split as long as you start the second 5 before the the 11 hrs of driving has been reached

The 30 min has to go.

Alot of drivers are being forced to drive more during peak rush hours because of it and/or more risky driving before running out of time to take another 30 mon break.

Feels there is alot of reckless driving since last Dec.

no, were under the 100 mile radius, I only have
to take a 30 if im going to exceed 12 hrs.
got it

FXF policy is much more strict on meals for P&D dispite the regulations being more lax. Regulations dont require ELD for less than 100 miles but they force us to use.
Sometimes I wish I was at a smaller carrier for these things...

• Extending the current 14-hour on-duty limitation by up to two hours when a truck driver encounters adverse driving conditions.
    WHEN was such eliminated??

• Revising the current mandatory 30-minute break for truck drivers after 8-hours of continuous driving.
      It's not BEFORE 8 hours driving? HOW can ANY Driver Drive a "continuous 8 hours"??

...get rid of the insipid 30 minute break...
2 fifteen minute breaks BEFORE 8 hours does the same thing. One can easily have a "30 minute break" simply by waiting to get on a fuel island (especially at any major fueling location).
The "30 minute break" is actually 32-35 minutes on elog devices. I've done a few 45 minute "breaks" and usually in the seventh hour however one can do such "break" anytime after the 4th hour.
When I use Paper, I log two 15 minute "breaks" or 1/2 hour at a pick-up/delivery because when I stop, I'm OFF DUTY (except in traffic).

The best part I read is they are considering bringing back the 5 and 5 split as long as you start the second 5 before the the 11 hrs of driving has been reached
So back to 10 hours Driving and 8 hours OFF DUTY (original rules) or 10 hours Driving and 10-14 hours OFF DUTY or 5 ON, 5 OFF then 5 ON??