Hours Of Service

Dirty!

TB Lurker
Credits
Guess whos back!

Got a Hours of Service Question. I know 60hours in a week one 2 hour exception not to exceed 60 hours and 10 hours in between. What do the rules say about routing on the management side? I had to use a sick day last week and still ended up with 51 hours in 4 days. I had 3 days in a row with 1000+cases and end time scheduled after 8 twice. Can we be scheduled for a rout over the 60 hours even if its completed in less time. My weekly schedule is for about 70 hours.

Just checking

Dirty

I am relatively confident the company cannot legally schedule you for over 14 hours of continous work. The 16 hour rule applies to emergency situations and clearly stipulates it is to be used in situations where your route would have been normally completed in less than the 14 hours allotted, however with that being said, if the company has scheduled you previously for more than 14 hours of work and you completed it in less than 14 hours a precedent has been set that the route can be completed in under the allotted 14 hours and it gets to be a sticky situation.

I enjoyed the house previous to this Union crap....they simply routed you and allotted the time (ie..cases per hour) you were actually capable of, therefore eliminating the need to schedule anyone over 14 hours per day. In defense of the company, I can see where it becomes difficult for them to schedule routes and stay within the limits of Hours of Service given the time constraints of customer delivery windows and the inability to properly utilize drivers who are able to handle the big boy routes. We all know there are some drivers that can bust off a route in half a heartbeat and finish hours ahead of schedule and then there are the ones who do everything in their power to stick right to the schedule regardless of the headaches it may cause them...

Oops sorry, ranting a bit there.......Semper Fi!

Matt, we had a big argument about the 16 hr exception at PFG, so I stopped at the scale and asked 2 different DOT officers, the 16 hr exception may be used for any reason of a drivers choosing, the emergency rule applies to the 2 hr driving extention for unforseen things and both officers said they have never let anyone slide on that one.

With the 16 hr exception you must have been dispatched from your home location for 5 days and you may not exceed 11 hrs driving while using it, it may be used once per restart, I would know I use it once a week, usually on Friday :(

I get routed out for 17 hrs all the time, I always beat the time but still, I don't think its right, say I used my 16 on thurs, I will call the router and let him know to take it easy on friday and the guy will still route me out for 16 or 17 hrs knowing full well that I can only do 14.

OK, but if I actually work 16 hours...all heck must have broken loose! Its way too easy to beat the route times, at least it is at our house, I believe stops are scheduled on an average of about 125 cases per hour. Hey thanks for the info though, people around here seem to ask the same question.

Our routers dont care. All they do is cancel as many routes as possible, thats how they get there bonus. They then dangle the routes in your face like a carrot in my example because they know i need to work 5 days as my wife stays home with our kids. They use the excuse that the latter deliveries are "estimates" by the computer and we should be able to get them off regardless. Im just tired of being a ball buster and getting more work for it as we have several other drivers who get to hand pick there routes and only work 35 to 40 hours because there cry babies or **** off the customes.

Thinking about stopping a the hotel next time that would **** them right off. Think we all deserve an easy day once and a while.

Rock Chalk

Dirty