Hours

Cajuntex

TB Lurker
Credits
seems like these food service companies don't care about the law. No driver should ever work more than 14 hrs in a day. It is against the law I thought. What about 10 hrs off. Unreal

seems like these food service companies don't care about the law. No driver should ever work more than 14 hrs in a day. It is against the law I thought. What about 10 hrs off. Unreal
Can only work over 14 hrs one day. Not sure of to many food service ppl working 14 hours. I was in food industry for 8 years. A 12 hour day was a longgg day for me. Of course I wasn't hourly, if getting paid by cases and production your not doing more than 12 hours.

Not all of em make you work 14 hrs a day. I usually have that 1 long ass day that is close to 14 and the rest is 10 to 12 hrs. You are allowed 1 16 hr day a week

I probably average 10 a day but all my routes are in town. We're paid case/mile/stop and have LOTS of guys running 12, 14, some 16hr days and a handful of 2 day routes. We cover a really big area out of here and have some longer routes.

I thought Union barns were paid hourly. Lazio how much you pay for insurance? Do you get Sunday's off
They are and aren't. Every Union location I know of (Chicago being the exception, they're hourly only last I heard) has an hourly rate but they pay by the case/mile/stop. Driver gets the higher of the two. Depending on how that house structures the incentive it could be higher, some a lot higher, but a lot of places have cut the #'s so tight that the guys are making more hourly. Just depends on local management.
Our insurance here is high, same plan as the non Union houses right now, a handful of options ranging from like $70-$150/wk for family coverage, the cheaper options are high deductible/high out of pocket plans. Right now they're working on our contract, we're wanting out of their plan into one with comparable costs but much better coverage. No idea what Houston's is like.
I'm off weekends. We have 4-5 drivers here who work on Saturdays (newer drivers) 1-2 who return from 2 day routes Sat am, and no one works Sundays except for 3-4 night drivers who come in at 11 or so Sun night.

So how long does it usually take to get a route. Is there any days off during the week for newer drivers. Houston is getting so big I bet all the drivers are working like crazy.

Lazio if may ask how much do you bring home after all deductions. Also do they offer retirement plans, does the union offer pension. What does the union do for its drivers at Sysco. Man I really appreciate all the information. Thanks