Yellow | Houston, TX Layoff

I work there and don't know of any layoff's. This morning I passed the 2nd from the bottom of the board heading west. No layoff's and no freight!

I am surprised that 521 is that slow. 511 Dallas is hiring new drivers. They seem to need them bad, it's been really busy.

hitman said:
Talked with shop steward this morning. Four will be laid off at 0001 sunday. Said more will likely follow unless we get more freight.

Hitman there should be a spike to the system this weekend with all the freight that was picked up from the 3 day weekend plus alot of shippers sent out their end of the month inventory early instead of the traditional 30th of the month this tuesday.

We're busting at the seams here with work as Yellow is laying off here. Hope some of this freight get on some of those trailers headed your way and keeps you on the road & and in the way.

We are seeing the same thing at 671 this weekend. Actually had an road extra work sign up sheet posted on the dock for our CDL toting dock workers and switchers. Hope you guys at 521 pick up soon. As a steward that has been dealing with on and off layoffs for the past 6 years....good luck. DS.

MissJen said:
I am surprised that 521 is that slow. 511 Dallas is hiring new drivers. They seem to need them bad, it's been really busy.
Hey Jen.....good to see you post on the RDWY board. I thought maybe you were stuck on the Watering Hole forum!! :rolleyes: DS.

thegr8one said:
Serta, heard that more guys quiting and moving up on the hill. 6 guys already on 2nd interview.
Hey gr8..........are they going to Yellow? Has there been any openings at 135, or is that too far of a drive? I don't know if we have anyone from 135 posting here....if you know of anyone from there, get them on here!! DS.

hitman said:
Talked with shop steward this morning. Four will be laid off at 0001 sunday. Said more will likely follow unless we get more freight.
Hey hitman....keep us informed about this. DS.

Rumor at Houston is that the four laid off will never be coming back. Talk of more drivers going.
Rumor also that board will be cut 2/3 and will only cover local and do west coast sleeper. Dallas will cover the border.
I think they are just waiting to get the mess in Dallas fixed and then scale back Houston.
Talk of another change to fix this mess we are in.
Was told three people fired at the BIG house because of this change. As usual it isn't going as planned. I thought Yellow was 99% in charge of this one.

Talk to a Fedex driver on my way home from Cinn. They are also hiring in poconos but Haven't heard of anyone going there. I also spoke to overnite,ups and fedex our pay scale per mile are very close to each other only difference is pension> 401k. As for me I'll wait until ship sinks, then I'll move away from the Big R.

thegr8one said:
Talk to a Fedex driver on my way home from Cinn. They are also hiring in poconos but Haven't heard of anyone going there. I also spoke to overnite,ups and fedex our pay scale per mile are very close to each other only difference is pension> 401k. As for me I'll wait until ship sinks, then I'll move away from the Big R.
Heard R.G. applied there, but nothing as of yet I guess. Had a job offer from Howie down at Overnite, but was out of town for a week and half, and missed the opportunity. Oh well. Going to ride her to the end now.