How Come??

BillyLo

Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion
Credits
Most OH drivers I come across seem pretty content with their gig? Guys are claiming they're getting plenty of hours and good runs. One guy came up to me the other month wondering if we're hiring b/c he was tired of working so much. Are their just a few bad apples working here?

How much are the line drivers making? If it's 50 plus cpm why is their so much complaining on here? From what I've noticed in the places I've worked: The less a driver complains, better he gets treated and more respect earned. The cry babies get the garbage runs, babysat and treated like fools regardless of seniority.

Where are you at? Location makes all of the difference in the world.

As far as line drivers being whiners and complainers...

Standing up for yourself or your brothers and insisting that the contract and work rules are being properly adhered to does not make on a whiner.

Whiner. That's management-speak for a union man. They love to cram us all into the same category, regardless of how hard we work or what we do, because they just can't deal with having to negotiate with their own employees.

They like to DICTATE... NOT NEGOTIATE.

besides, I have yet to meet a truck driver that isn't griping about something, whether work or home issues. Or about the weather. Or how his ball team is doing.

These forums are places where employees come to air their issues and discuss current events going on in their workplace. Right now, that happens to be our contract negotiations, and the crappy way the company is dealing with us in that regard.

If you don't want to read what is being posted here, I suggest you go find a calmer forum to poke your nose into...:smilie_132:

Martha Stewart's forum has a waiting list. Sorry bud. Yes these are all different locations besides Auburn or Portland so that could be the reason. Is there a barn in Everett? Or do those boys run from Auburn?

Ummm... why don't you enlighten me as to what locations you ran into these chipper, happy drivers, and I can probably tell you what terminal they are from.

As to the Martha Stewart forum... I had you figured for an American Idol blogger... or perhaps Dancing With The Stars?

Either which way, far less challenging material for you to have to struggle with in such forums...:1036316054:

And listening to sorry truck drivers that can't do anything to better themselves isn't? :biglaugh:

Enjoy spending your entire weekend complaining about a truck line on the computer.

I hardly think it's pathetic for employees of a company engaged in difficult contract negotiations facing a possible strike discussing what is going on in OUR company.

What IS pathetic is someone who doesn't work for this company lurking around this forum making snide comments about things he is clearly ignorant about. Go play Billy Bad-A** in your Old Dominion forum, and leave the discussion to those who have a least a modicum of vested interest, and have something useful or informative to say.

Bye-bye now...:smilie_132:

Has anyone seen the ads on TV about how crappy unions are? They suggest you visit UnionFacts.com. Well we did. We emailed one of the addresses listed and they say the ads are from a lobby group who specializes in busting unions. Companies do not have to pay for the advertising, all they need to do is explain how the unions are destroying their company and the people with all the money backing do the ads for them. The ads started showing up on every channel in the Portland about the same time that the drivers wanted showed up on Craigs list. Amazing huh!!!!

I just watched their two ads and it just made me freaking sick. Are you kidding me? Were these written by the VP's? "I just love how I work harder but make less because of my seniority" Jesus, these peaple are tards...you can work all you want somewhere else then for minimum wages. What a crock, these are just to confuse people who have no clue and have never been effected by the union into thinking the union is a bad thing. F that site. and F everyone that made it. and F the VP's. Im getting more fed up with them every day. Its the weekend and im getting pissed about work. So F this too.

Those ads are all part of a National Right To Work movement. They are all in a panic because they know a regime change is coming to the White House, and every pro-corporate, anti-labor cockroach is going to come scurrying out into the light for their last gasp at ramming anti-worker legislation down our collective throats.

The Wrench is right... they can go @!$%@!&%@$! themselves righteously!

The truly sad part is how many people in this country buy into that kind of claptrap. Why? because in this country, we are complacent, selfish, self-centered and too damned comfortable for our own good!

We like to gripe and b**** about how our medical costs are going up while the quality is going down, or how our retirement security is a joke. We despise how many hours we are forced to work just to keep our heads above water. We work and work and work, but the middle class in this country has only been treading water for decades, and now we are starting to sink.

Wages are stagnant, benefit costs are being pushed further and further onto employees who cannot afford them anymore, and meanwhile, corporate executives keep their golden parachutes, their cushy stock options, and keep making more and more in relation to their front-line employees, regardless of how they are actually performing in their duties.

So where is the desire for change on behalf of the American worker? Most have no courage to stand up for themselves, even when they have the right and the tools to do so. They have no fire in their bellies like our grandfathers and great-grandfathers did. So as a whole we just accept our diminished lots in life, and keep on griping without doing anything about it.

I for one- and I know I am not alone in this at OHFL- am not going to back down without a fight. Many of us feel that this employer has gotten off very light in past decades since we left the NMFA. I would remind David and Edward that we did that because Henry asked our help to allow this company to survive. And they did survive. And grow. And grow. And grow. Their business expanded on our backs and labor, but our wages and benefits have not grown accordingly.

Hell, we are only making like fifty cents more in pension than we were eighteen years ago! Eighteen years, and only fifty cents rise in our pension contribution! We are behind most of our competitors in wages, as well!

But they whine and complain about how they were treated last contract! The UTTER $#!?%&$!?! GALL of these people!

If they are so utterly stupid as to risk their company over what is on the table, then their company deserves to die! They have spit in the eye of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters and their own employees, and they are going to pay a steep, steep price if they persist in their stupid, arrogant, selfish, self-centered, unchristian, bulls**t attitudes!

Their silly little contingency plans are well-known. They will all be for naught, too. If they push us out the door, we will kill this company in the space of a few weeks, and it ain't ever coming back. The customers are fleeing like rats jumping off of a sinking ocean liner! The competitions sales forces are salivating like Pavlov's dogs at the prospects, and the employees are getting more and more angry as they days tick off.

So, Dave and Ed, if you really want to see this company survive past June, you better GET OFF THE DIME, AND START BARGAINING!

Excellent. One of the best posts I've seen, straight to the heart of the matter. I feel for you people, in fact for all of us out here trying to make a decent living for us and our families.

in your post it is written they are going to pay a steep price.if they close the company only the workers pay the price.they would have to do it according to the law but i do not see the steep price other than closing the company.the people who own OHFL have more money than they know what to do with individually.you have probably said it before,they don't care,and you are right.they care a lot more when the bank account is not fat.
and as far as the fight like our grandfathers,the world is a different place than when the grandfathers worked,they fought for humantarian rights and decent working conditions and safety for the worker,what is the fight always seem to be now,MONEY.cost of health care,cost of pensions/retirements, cost of wages.

So... what? According to your reasoning, we should just give in? Bow under? Accept our fate? That they are rich and powerful, and that they will win even if they lose?

That's a loser mentality, and what is wrong with this nation, wrapped up in a neat little package.

Where would you be willing to draw a line in the sand? Do you even have the capacity to answer that question?

No one isn't saying that the employees won't pay a price here, too. But many of us have been through these kinds of things before, and have had to start over before.

The one thing it will do is prevent the VP family from continuing to profit from their employees hard labor. We can't do anything about what they have in the bank, but this whole affair has certainly helped drain their fortune, and we will continue to cost them as much money as possible for as long as possible.

And yes... it is a different world than from that of our grandfathers and great-grandfathers. Different for us... different for them. But some principles hold true regardless of the changing times, and many of us believe in ourselves and our union enough to stand up and FIGHT!

No one fights for anything anymore! Fat and complacent, and unwilling to risk anything. My grandfather taught me there is no gain without risk, and I and my fellow OHFL Teamsters are quite willing to be free, proud men and women and exercise our lawful rights to take this company on; to either get what we need to have, or to make sure they DO NOT SURVIVE!

There are plenty of non-union carriers out there for those unwilling to stand up for themselves, where they can be dictated to as to what management feels they are worth, and where the continuing decline of the middle class is on display.

At this company, there are those willing to fight for ourselves and our families and our union, regardless of the risk or the consequences. I am proud to be one of those and proud to stand with my fellow OHFL Teamsters in solidarity, come what may...

"...Excellent. One of the best posts I've seen, straight to the heart of the matter. I feel for you people, in fact for all of us out here trying to make a decent living for us and our families..."

Thank you. It's straight from the heart, and many if not most of us feel that way.

Thanks for your support...:1036316054:

i am not saying don't stand up for what you believe just saying sometimes like you said, even if you win, you lose.i am not trying make you mad,just that i have read enough on the boards that say the same thing over and over again,and to be very honest the ones you need to talk to directly is the owners and not 'as others have said' complain here.i would attempt to go to corporate and ask questions about your concern.they are the ones who have the purse strings and they are the ones that need the information exchange.

all of us or most of us on the boards work in the same industry and this is a very good way to exchange information ,not put each other down.i have not done that to you shifter and i would hope you show the same to others

You go read BillyLo's posts, and tell me who is putting who down. I've been a member of this board a long time, and I know the score here. But I don't suffer idiots who got nothing better to do than make snide comments. I'm not attacking you, only those who are either management hiding behind anonymity, or irritating gnats who come into this forum with no other cause but create a ruckus.

As far as talking to the owners... they hire big-time attorney's and labor consultants to do their negotiating for them. God forbid they should ever have to dirty their own hands dealing with their labor force, the grubby lot!

That wouldn't be in keeping with their religious values, after all! They sure love to ram their beliefs down our throats every in communication we receive from them, but they seem to be more about talking like Christians than acting like Christians. The world is full of people like them, and I get tired of their bold hypocrisy.

We have tried to get them to deal with us face-to-face, but they will only do it on their terms. So screw them.

Even on here... David made a couple of posts, but when he started being challenged to the factual content of what he was posting, he simply went back to lurking. Like the rest of senior management does.

So you ask why we bother posting up here instead of taking the debate to them? They don't want to hear about it, that's why. They've made that very clear over the years. So we bring this little situation out of the dark closet and into the light where everyone gets to a take a peek at their dirty laundry.

We write this for our fellow employees. We write this for others to see how to stand up for yourselves. We write this so the customers can get an idea of who they are dealing with in the management of this company. We write this so our own managment who comes up here regularly for updates knows just how furious their employees are, and just how ready we are to take them on.

They get the message, believe me...:chairshot:

Has anyone seen the ads on TV about how crappy unions are? They suggest you visit UnionFacts.com. Well we did. We emailed one of the addresses listed and they say the ads are from a lobby group who specializes in busting unions. Companies do not have to pay for the advertising, all they need to do is explain how the unions are destroying their company and the people with all the money backing do the ads for them. The ads started showing up on every channel in the Portland about the same time that the drivers wanted showed up on Craigs list. Amazing huh!!!!

Rick Burman owns and operates that site and is responsible for those TV spots. They advertise heavy on the internet as well, he has know ties to Wal-Mart, and is mum when it comes to his sponsors, he has also run campaigns against MADD, for tabacco and against food legislation requiring reductions in trans fats and such. He claims to be a folk hero for the right of choice but he is simply a slut his loyalty is for sale to the highest bidder. Berman and Company: Research · Communications · Advertising

I love the the anti Teacher union ads, they always make me laugh. Honestly, I don't find him all that threating to the cause, I think most people have the sense see it for what it is. He always shows up when I search "Employee Free Choice Act" both Obama and Clinton have promised to sign the bill into law if given the opportunity with Bush in the Oval office the attempts have been more of a symbolic gesture than anything else.

You should show respect to these OHFL guys, and if you work for Old Dominion you have no room to talk, a co. that doesn't even pay OT after 40, what would you know about preserving a good job? Your company undercuts us and sells you all short in the process. Watch if YRCW fails and the level of unionization in our industry falls to even lower levels than it has, you wont see a raise till the min. wage catches you.

We need good union companies to set the standard for wages, and benefits, and we need guys willing to fight for them. We don't need companies like Oak Harbor if they are looking to undercut hard fought and won standards in our industry.

Sister Co. Penn. truck recently penned a deal with the Teamsters that included something like $3.50 increase in wages no contentious battle ensued, no replacements, no union busting, it's a good thing its not up to me, cause I would have walked them last time around when they drug you all through the dirt.

I am fortunate to have left this dump, and while shifter seems to have some kind of Oak Harbor love I can think of no redeemable qualities this company possesses.

"...I am fortunate to have left this dump, and while shifter seems to have some kind of Oak Harbor love I can think of no redeemable qualities this company possesses..."

Well, I don't know if I would call it love, but in a lot of respects, as a job OHFL has some good qualities going for it. Any job is going to have it's ups and downs, but as a line driver especially, how easy is it to find what is essentially a Monday through Friday gig, with a fairly regular schedule? We have decent equipment, and most of the people here are decent. A few jerks in management and such, but you would have that anywhere.

Even the pay and bennies aren't horrid, especially with the improvements that were made in the last contract. Admittedly, it wasn't near as much as I would have liked to see, but when is it ever? we made forward progress, and that is what counts.

I don't know... I believe if a job is lacking, you work and fight to make it better. That's kind of been the point of the labor movement, wasn't it? Take an imperfect workplace, and work to make it better?

It doesn't happen overnight, and the employees have to be committed to the fight, otherwise you are just wasting your time. I've left other companies precisely because of that fact. And the fact is, we unionized OHFL employees have become much more united because of the way management has treated us. And many non-union employees are starting to get the message as well, especially after having some unwelcome changes to their benefits package get rammed down their throats.

I understand you had a completely negative experience at OHFL. Believe me... we all get that. But your experience is not everyone's experience, and many of us like this company and what we do here enough to fight to make it a better place to work.

Of course I could turn my back on this place and go find another place to work, but what would be accomplished? If no one fights for something better, and we all just walk away, pretty soon there will be on good places left to work, because no one will have stood up for their principles.

This fight we are in now is where we make our stand. The line in the sand. I realize you don't see it as something worthwhile to fight for, but we do. Those of us who actually work here. and have somehting at stake.

We will either try and improve what we have, or fight them until they are gone. For good...

Well, yeah...

Not everyone can or wants to work at Yellow or Roadway. Of course, we may all be lining up there for job applications real soon, huh?

Sometimes, you just have to make you bed and lay in it, and deal with it. I just never give up on trying to improve the quality of the bedding I lay on, dig?

Negative line drivers? Negative? At Oak Harbor? Our Oak Harbor? Get out of town, man... LOL!:biglaugh: