TForce | How do I get out of the union??

imported_maverick

TB Lurker
Credits
After not being impressed with the union contract and the way the union has represented our terminal, how do I get out?? I am not paying $60 dollars a month to get treated worse than before we had anything. Now if we had a NMFA, or something close, I would be happy to pay my dues. :chairshot:

I asked the one of the stewards and they were less than helpful. Funny, they were so quick to sign people up, but not quick to help a guy leave the union.

I guess I could call the hall, I just have not had time yet.

After not being impressed with the union contract and the way the union has represented our terminal, how do I get out??
You need to have a little patience. You just became union and the supliments haven't even been started yet.
I am not paying $60 dollars a month to get treated worse than before we had anything.
I believe you are unless you decide to work elsewhere or go into management.
Now if we had a NMFA, or something close, I would be happy to pay my dues.
If we all had a million dollars we wouldn't have to work and the union wouldn't be necessary.:hysterical:

I asked the one of the stewards and they were less than helpful. Funny, they were so quick to sign people up, but not quick to help a guy leave the union.
Did you actually expect them to?

All you can do is have a rational discussion with them about your concerns.
Unless the Majority at your house feel the same, your in it for the long haul.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump ship. You will have no rights under the contract without being a member. Without the ability to file grievances, you will be out of luck. Sure some will say that the law says you do, but law and enforcement of law are two different things. We had one guy who thought he could do it on his own, He was buddy, buddy with the managerment. He needed a favor, his supervisor told him no go and now he is in no mans land. Stick with the UNION and learn the contract. There are many ways of getting what you need to get done. Be inventive, think and apply the contract langauge. The no's you heard may soon turn to yes. It is the individual responsibility to make the union strong. If you are weak, then the union and the contract will be weak. Stay strong! Learn the rules and fight for everything you deserve.:1036316054:

After not being impressed with the union contract and the way the union has represented our terminal, how do I get out?? I am not paying $60 dollars a month to get treated worse than before we had anything. Now if we had a NMFA, or something close, I would be happy to pay my dues. :chairshot:

That 60 bucks will seem like a great deal when you need it! Also, You had time to type here so if you are serious, then you had time to call the hall!!! Quit startin' BS!:chairshot:

Quit or die. Your choice.

If you are in a right to work state talk to the hall.If not you can still not be a member but you still may have to pay dues for the representation.But give it some time they are still just getting started.

I think it's a wash anyway. Now that I'm being paid for all I do. It more then pays for the dues and a little extra...
The only bad thing is losing the 401 match. But watching UPS and how they have a total disregard for setting up runs so their drivers can make a living. You can't make me believe they would of kept the 401 match anyway.
So all in all since we are not Overnite anymore. I think we have nothing to lose and maybe a little to gain...

He sounds like he would be right fit for mgmt. What have you done to help your union or your fellow union members ? People won't show up for union meetings, much less don't take time to learn the contract and apply it, when mgmt. says "jump" they ask how high in fear of loosing their job. And then they have nerve to say "my union ain't doing squat for me". I have real easy solution for your problem, just quit and go work for non-union company. Or join your buddys in mgmt.

I believe it's called a WITHDRAWAL CARD!:smilie_132: Do it driver, You don't have to quit your job and go anywhere, If it works for you "Just Do It"

Good luck enforcing any rules when you have no one to go to to do so; being a free-loader is a lonely job.:smilie_132:

I think it's a wash anyway. Now that I'm being paid for all I do. It more then pays for the dues and a little extra...
The only bad thing is losing the 401 match. But watching UPS and how they have a total disregard for setting up runs so their drivers can make a living. You can't make me believe they would of kept the 401 match anyway.
So all in all since we are not Overnite anymore. I think we have nothing to lose and maybe a little to gain...

I am in total agreement, I think the INS. sucks, but I am willing to make a go of it. Things I am sure will get better within time.

You need to be patient brother. You will get full representation soon. You will see. However, if you (or others) are just crying over nothing, and it is not a grievable issue, the union will, sometimes, just ignore you. Because they don't want to tell you that it is not a grievable issue. Once the union gets solidified, you will get your representation that you expect. They have a lot of irons on the fire right now. I suggest learning the contract and then enforcing it. If you have a grievable issue, FILE! However, don't expect the union to jump for non-grievable issues. That is classified a whining. Learn the contract and encourage others to do the same. When you learn the contract, even if its :1036316054:with the help of others, you can protect your rights, EVERY TIME. Be patient, it will be worth it. GOOD LUCK.

I may be way out of line on this issue?
But I think the only way you can sign up for a withdrawl,is first you have the years of vestment,to freeze any pension funds you have built up.

Second you have to be leaving any union trucking,becoming an inactive Teamster,to go into another line of non-Teamster work,or non-union trucking.

As far as I know thats the only way you can sign up for a withdrawl.

Although Mavrick it sounds to me like you are sore over being a Teamster,but you haven't given the whole union process a chance to kick in?

Everyone including management is just getting used to the union transition,you really need to give it some more time to see how everything works out.
Either good,or bad for you,I'm pretty sure your barn has to take a majority vote after at least two years of Teamster service to pull out,and become non-union again.

I could be wrong,but I thinks thats the way it goes?

I may be way out of line on this issue?
But I think the only way you can sign up for a withdrawl,is first you have the years of vestment,to freeze any pension funds you have built up.

Second you have to be leaving any union trucking,becoming an inactive Teamster,to go into another line of non-Teamster work,or non-union trucking.

As far as I know thats the only way you can sign up for a withdrawl.

Although Mavrick it sounds to me like you are sore over being a Teamster,but you haven't given the whole union process a chance to kick in?

Everyone including management is just getting used to the union transition,you really need to give it some more time to see how everything works out.
Either good,or bad for you,I'm pretty sure your barn has to take a majority vote after at least two years of Teamster service to pull out,and become non-union again.

I could be wrong,but I thinks thats the way it goes?

This is a national contract. It can only be done nationally.