FedEx Freight | How do we fix our problem?

chitownpeddler

TB Veteran
Credits
We seem to get a new ccm every 6 months or so. The one we have now started about 8 months ago and is making our center a miserable place to work. He told a customer that we do not honor their guarantee shipments because we "pude" most of their freight and we will no longer pick up after 1700. They want us to pickup at 1800 but he is refusing to do it. so we are loosing a van pf freight a day. Secondly he wants no drivers working the dock, inbound or outbound. He wants us to operate similar to a union company. Part time dock workers for the dock, and drivers only drive. He hasn't implemented this yet, but they said at the next bid they will. And finally (for now) we are pretty much shotgun loading the trailers. When asked if we can do something about the way they are loaded the reply we got was "that is why we have pallet jacks". Our ccm and ops managers are making it miserable to come to work. No one is happy. We have great numbers due to the dedication of the drivers, so no one sees how bad it is getting. Anyone else have these problems, and what can we due to make it a great place to work again??

Sounds to me that HRO needs to hear about this so they can check into it. Have you called them? Seems like there is a number you can call with concerns and that won't get you in trouble. (if you know what I mean). Attitude is everything, and the big wigs know it. If the employes are happy working here, the customers know it. It does make a Big difference. The attitude of the drivers I dealt with is exactly why I thought I wanted to work here. Also a good attitude will keep that "U" word out of here. They know that too. We obviously have to have a "cut" time for picking up freight to be shipped that day, but unless its an hour or two away from the center, 1800 doesn't seem that out of line. Especially for that much extra freight. Call HRO !!!!!

We do some of the same things.
It is just a job , I get paid by the hr.
If you load my truck like crap , thats
the way I'll deliver it the same way .

Amen Smoke we have a jerk for a CCM but i feel just like Smokestack........be patient he wont be there for ever.

The funny thing is our ccm said we need to get the idea of delivering it the way it is loaded. He said we are supposed to deliver it as efficiantly as possible----thats why we got more pallet jacks. And the customer with the 1800 request is 15 minutes from our center

There is a problem that haunts many centers, but like previously mentioned, it wont be long until the right person hears about it, and it may change, sooner or later, sounds like the new ccm is trying to make a name for himself, but he may find himself soon looking for a job.....Ive seen it happen a million times, may take a while, but he'll get in line. A center that is losing accounts and freight, will soon have pressure from sales dept. as to why volume is down.....that translates to operations, theyll have to answer sooner or later.....and when the right higher up gets wind....believe me things will change......keep your chin up, and let the chips fall.......thats one thing about being a driver, were sometimes like robots.....just do what they tell you, and if its wrong, you can stand by and say: thats what I was told to do.........

Savannah Ga

Get on the phone one time with ya'lls Regional Sales dude, and tell him about the 1600 p/u problem and it will get fixed, period. That is if the freight is worth hauling.
As far as the other problems, it's the same everywhere from what i understand. Just deliver it, use ya pallet jack, if ya can't move one to get to the other, ride to the other side of town, then come back to it. Like Smokstack points out, ya'll are not on salary, just ride.

chitownpeddler said:
The funny thing is our ccm said we need to get the idea of delivering it the way it is loaded. He said we are supposed to deliver it as efficiantly as possible----thats why we got more pallet jacks.

You'd probably never get it done that way due to shoddy routing, and wind up bringing half the load back on a regular basis.

there is only two reason why the ccm would tell you to run it the way it's loaded. 1 he really has no clue about running a pedal run. or 2 he wants to make it look like you need more drivers than you really do if it where run right. that way he can hire drivers you don't need. then he will cut everyone hours.

Also it is that the the dock needs to be clear and they want your trailer loaded before you punch in . It seems to have gotten worse lately by us with the addition of some new supervisors that don't really care about if frt is secured or how it is blown in the trls . They loaded me one the other day that had a 6 foot by 2 to 3 inch hole right down the middle , very unsafe if you ask me . A supervisor closed it btw. Like I said load my trl like crap and that is the way I'll deliver it , I just tell them to call my CCM and give them his name. Get in my truck and deliver some more upside down crap........

Smokestack / :nutkick:

FedEx

I worked in their package operations for a short time. I would never work for them again. The way they treat their employees, it's ridiculous.

We seem to get a new ccm every 6 months or so. The one we have now started about 8 months ago and is making our center a miserable place to work. He told a customer that we do not honor their guarantee shipments because we "pude" most of their freight and we will no longer pick up after 1700. They want us to pickup at 1800 but he is refusing to do it. so we are loosing a van pf freight a day. Secondly he wants no drivers working the dock, inbound or outbound. He wants us to operate similar to a union company. Part time dock workers for the dock, and drivers only drive. He hasn't implemented this yet, but they said at the next bid they will. And finally (for now) we are pretty much shotgun loading the trailers. When asked if we can do something about the way they are loaded the reply we got was "that is why we have pallet jacks". Our ccm and ops managers are making it miserable to come to work. No one is happy. We have great numbers due to the dedication of the drivers, so no one sees how bad it is getting. Anyone else have these problems, and what can we due to make it a great place to work again??
[/QUOTE]
yea we had the same problem at our barn....I'm a road driver and I bid dock and the scm told me, don't care if you bid dock you ain't working it. I said oh yea....we'll see. There is dozen or so Road Warriors that bid dock at begining of their bid and they were told the same. 1 phone call was made to H.R. dude in Kansas. He is in charge of all R/D in the company. That was the end of that ordeal. The next thing I hear from a afternoon city slicker that they are not picking up freight after 5pm no-matter what. It took city and road drivers to leave messages for the In-Touch and V.P. of operations in HAR. We had a meeting w/ big wigs from around the region and next thing I know life is good for the city guys who start in the afternoon, because we are making pickups all up to 9 and 10pm or so.....we have some late departures and I work at a HUB. The scm wants good numbers for a bigger bonus and that is why they did what they did:woot: :woot:

chitownpeddler said:
SOUNDS LIKE RICHMOND VA JUST DO WHAT THEY SAY AND IF IT DONT WORK YOU NEED TO EXPLAIN WHY...