How do you feel about automonous trucks? Would you be comfortable in a driverless truck?

I was never comfortable sleeping in the truck with ANYONE driving. I cant imagine sleeping with THE TRUCK driving.
(although, my freightliner did stop one night, about one mile from my home. it encountered a pickup truck pulling a sailboat. it was raining and apparently jackknifed and skidded off the road. the cop tapped on my window asking me what happened and i told him i wasnt sure. i told him ,"you guys were already here when i got here". He said, "doing what? we got a call about a tractor trailer sitting in the road with his 4 ways blinking". i guess my autonomical truck sensed a crash that nobody else knew about. good thing, cause i had been on the road for nearly five days straight.)

After slapping gears my entire trucking career I wasn't happy when tractors started showing up with automatic trannies.
So no I know one of them there driverless numbers wouldn't be something I could go with.
However now that I'm retired from trucking I would never have to deal with any new innovations ever again.
Well unless all 4 wheelers become diverless,but by then I'm pretty sure I'll have a dirt dinner & none of it will make any difference.

"Dirt Dinner" similar to "Dirt Nap" as well "Part Of The Landscape".

Heck no, I'm not to be comfortable if I ever be in a "driver less" horseless carriage in the construct of a Commercial Motor Vehicle.
Not interested in being a passenger of a questionably operated vehicle especially because HACKERS will continue to find ways around "security systems".
TEAM DRIVING is 2 HUMANS, not Artificial Incompetence and 1 HUMAN.

Autonomous cars will be a large threat as we've seen with Google and Tesla.

I'll stick with a non-autonomous, multi-speed, human-assisted, down-hill self-propelled vehicle known as a Mongoose bicycle with off-road lighting and low-flight capabilities.

CHEERS!!

Last edited:
I wonder how well this "driverless truck" will navigate slick roads. I can't find information how a computer will adjust for ice etc.
I've wondered that too, there's a lot to it and feel is a big part of it, I don't believe sensors and programming are gonna pick up on it till maybe it's to late and the traction breaking.

Under ideal conditions & a highway designed for "Auto Pilot" a driverless truck might in time work. But there is still a lot of work & testing before we will see many trucks with an empty driver's seat.

I started my truck driving career in 1973, and retired after 36 years of trucking in 2009. I finally gave up my CDL with HAZMAT in 2015.
Enough is enough.

Last edited:
I'm with you mud I worked as a P & D steering wheel holder for 45 years & retired the LAST day of March 2008.
My license came up for renewal in 2011,Thats when I dropped the CDL,as I knew I'd never drive another Semi again.
I really don't miss anything about my trucking career,it was really hard work toward the end which caught up with me physically.
City work really does do a number on you if you do it for a long time.

I wonder how well this "driverless truck" will navigate slick roads. I can't find information how a computer will adjust for ice etc.
Just as well as these questionable "systems" operate in current trucks: SUDDEN DECELERATION for any or no reason regardless of terrain or weather.

Driving up and down I-81 in Virginia,im convinced driverless trucks would be a huge improvement over some of the "piloted" ones.Most,you can recognize by the name on the door.

I hope I am around long enough to see these trucks run I-80-94, from Lake Station, west to the 294 split....

An email I sent to the Otto company, who is developing a self driving truck in Ohio. Their email is [email protected]

_______
What am I and 3 million other truck drivers supposed to do when your wonderful invention replaces us? How do I pay my mortgage?

Trucking is one of the very last good paying blue collar jobs left, that a non college educated person can get.

Its also the number one most common occupations in most states. Am I supposed to go back to college in my 50s, and get six figures of student loan debt? Maybe I can design apps and websites! Gee thanks fellas.

Thanks a million you egghead engineers.

Trucker from Wisconsin

They will never replace drivers, they have to have someone to blame when the thing ****s up!! I am sorry but, I dont ever see them working on snow covered roads, anywhere in the us especially I 80 through PA I 99 in PA coming down Turkey Ranch snow covered and such haha !!! Kind of like the abortion autoshift, geeks wet dream....

They are going to try them now in Ohio near Columbus, Heck there were times when I teamed that I didn't feel safe with my other driver

Theres always going to be a human doing pre & post trips,checking the oil,fueling,hooking & unhooking.
As well as calling dispatch when it drives in a ditch on a wintery run.
As to fluid checks: There are now systems in place to alert as to low or no fluids yet most people are still clueless.
Pre and Post trip checks will be eliminated as earlier conceived/implemented electronic (E.C.U., E.C.M.) systems/aggravations have/will have TOTAL CONTROL, T.P.M.S., Low Air/Fuel/Coolant, etc. Maybe, Like Forbidden Planet, Machines will be SELF REPAIRING therein eliminating "repair shops".
There will, after all Bugs and Security updates to prevent ANY hacking having been secured and implemented, be completely autonomous vehicles as have only been read in Tomes and seen in Movies.
It will be the New Earth provided the SEVEN DEADLY SINS have not pushed the buttons to extirpation of Humanity.

WE may not see the inevitable (A.I.) "future" or we may see the negative (Fireball Earth or F.E.) "future".

Excuse the cliche: "Only TIME Will Tell"!!

G'Nite and Hope For The Best!!
CHEERS!!​

Okay Cerberus_Kelpie looks like you have everything covered to eliminate the human eliminate.
However there is at least one other aspect that can't completely take out a human driver.

You will think to yourself,what say you?
Well anytime some technology is being operated by a computer chip,the signal comes from satellites hovering above the earth.
So when there is a Sun Spot,an explosion on the sun that is able to block a digital signal.

No digital signal,then anything digital would be rendered inoperable.
Think of everything electronic we all have come to enjoy,along with power grids,water supply terminals,as well as motor vehicles, of course computers,& cell phones.
Will all become totally useless,including the Ott driverless truck.
The truck also may shut down,however perhaps a driver could keep it going.

As to fluid checks: There are now systems in place to alert as to low or no fluids yet most people are still clueless.
Pre and Post trip checks will be eliminated as earlier conceived/implemented electronic (E.C.U., E.C.M.) systems/aggravations have/will have TOTAL CONTROL, T.P.M.S., Low Air/Fuel/Coolant, etc. Maybe, Like Forbidden Planet, Machines will be SELF REPAIRING therein eliminating "repair shops".
There will, after all Bugs and Security updates to prevent ANY hacking having been secured and implemented, be completely autonomous vehicles as have only been read in Tomes and seen in Movies.
It will be the New Earth provided the SEVEN DEADLY SINS have not pushed the buttons to extirpation of Humanity.

WE may not see the inevitable (A.I.) "future" or we may see the negative (Fireball Earth or F.E.) "future".

Excuse the cliche: "Only TIME Will Tell"!!

G'Nite and Hope For The Best!!
CHEERS!!​
I don't know C. These hackers break into government, and large corporate computer systems. See no reason why they would not want to take control of an 80,000 lb, 60 mph missile, and have some fun with it, like demo derby...