SAIA | How do you rate this company?

nctrnl

TB Lurker
Credits
Just curious what you guys think about this company. Hows the mileage, home time and starting pay, and of course respect to their drivers? Would you recommend it to a friend? Thanks

pays good, home time good, bennies good, upper management not so good, driver respect never seen any so can't conment

Just curious what you guys think about this company. Hows the mileage, home time and starting pay, and of course respect to their drivers? Would you recommend it to a friend? Thanks

Saw your ? on the AE board. Saia is strictly an LTL Co. AE has a Truckload div. Over here it's all daycabs , except teams. I was at AE before here. It could be a good place to work, but probably never will be. Here is much better, for a lot of reasons. Not perfect, but much better. If you get on in Linehaul you most likley will start out in the system. You may be gone just one day ,or it might be 5. Bring clothes. You do this till you work your way up to get a bid run. As far as respect I get plenty, when I feel the need to complain it's done constuctivly, not just on the Trucking Boards. Plenty of Rodney Daingerfield's out here though. Hope this helps.:1036316054:

An employee will gain respect as he/she demonstrates a positive work record and an attitude that shows that one is not mad at the world. That is not hard to do.

As for the complaint dept., I've found that by having thought through what I've wanted to say before hand and clearly communicating the issue has often brought better results than going into the boss's office with a full head of steam and trying to impress someone with a lot of pent up anger.

Additonally, it helps to pack the patience in large quantities as sometime things move at a glacial pace.

FedEx is in the top 100 companies to work for and has been 10 times in the last 11 years! In fact they were the largest company in that list and the only transportation company! They were also recently accepted into the top employer hall of fame (didnt know there was such a thing).

Here we just keep banging our heads into the wall, doing the same thing everyday and expecting a different result.

Mileage seems less than some other companies, could be wrong, just the impression I get. Home time stinks when you are in the system. They have the perception when you are a system driver that they completely own you. If you have a hour left in the day, they can utilize you. If you refuse work consider your self "available to the industry" Also, even if you are on a bid they can make you work 14 hours each day if they feel they need you.

They have no respect for anybody, not just drivers. If you are hourly...they will switch your hours around any day of any week without regard to what is going on in your home life.(you have one? who cares!) I'm not a Rodney Dangerfield type of guy. But if you do have a complaint...you better have your ::shit:: correct. And hope for the best.

I really have never seen anything like this place. Although I do hear Con-way is comparable.

Mileage seems less than some other companies, could be wrong, just the impression I get. Home time stinks when you are in the system. They have the perception when you are a system driver that they completely own you. If you have a hour left in the day, they can utilize you. If you refuse work consider your self "available to the industry" Also, even if you are on a bid they can make you work 14 hours each day if they feel they need you.

They have no respect for anybody, not just drivers. If you are hourly...they will switch your hours around any day of any week without regard to what is going on in your home life.(you have one? who cares!) I'm not a Rodney Dangerfield type of guy. But if you do have a complaint...you better have your ::shit:: correct. And hope for the best.

I really have never seen anything like this place. Although I do hear Con-way is comparable.

harsh words right there man. we have a couple of former conway drivers here...they say the grass is much greener here. i do hate that a bid means nothing...but there was a memo sent out a couple years ago stating that occasionally they will use you as needed off schedule. you are correct about the system though. that's why it's called a system run however. you move the extra freight and are at the mercy of the regional dispatcher. they will work with you if you suggest you need to lay down though. hell...if you like being home and they know it, most of the time they will TRY to make that happen. it does not always work that way though.

the last vestiage of the old preston corp, you guys are you lucky yellow let you go and did not close saia down.

bp

i do hate that a bid means nothing

you are correct about the system though.

So am I wrong about the bids? Or do you agree?......

that's why it's called a system run however. you move the extra freight and are at the mercy of the regional dispatcher. they will work with you if you suggest you need to lay down though. hell...if you like being home and they know it, most of the time they will TRY to make that happen. it does not always work that way though.

They need to change the name from system driver to "Slave any time we want them driver"

Basically what Saia has done is take what union companies do and make us do it without the union pay and benefits. And if we don't do what they say when they say, its not just a write up or a suspension, its automatically "available to the industry".

For this reason alone I cannot understand how they are having trouble making money. I believe they have taken a page from how the government reports thier GDP figures.

So am I wrong about the bids? Or do you agree?......

They need to change the name from system driver to "Slave any time we want them driver"

Basically what Saia has done is take what union companies do and make us do it without the union pay and benefits. And if we don't do what they say when they say, its not just a write up or a suspension, its automatically "available to the industry".

For this reason alone I cannot understand how they are having trouble making money. I believe they have taken a page from how the government reports thier GDP figures.

my posts are vague sometimes and i do apologize for that. i do agree with you now that i think of it. i am on a CLT bid, but occasionally they send me to ATL, COL, HKY, or somewhere else that has freight if there is none for me to take out of GVL. it does not happen very often, but it is very annoying.

I can understand doing that. Although other non-union places I have been would give you an option to run the other run, not force it upon you.

What I have a problem with is, say I run my run. When I come back they can make me run out one way and lay down. Even though that laying out is not on my bid.

Whatever the freight dictates, guys. Even with a bid. Carry a change of clothes and be prepared. Just because it's a bid doesn't mean you'll never have to do something different occasionally. Freight has to be moved and we are the ones who drive the trucks. I had to swing through ATL on my way home last night. Did I want to? Nope.

Swinging by a terminal is different than them making you do an additional run on top of your bid run, knowing you will have to lay down.

At this company, yes whatever the freight dictates.

Some other companies give your home life somewhat of a thought.

Come on guys this is trucking and we are drivers so if its gotta be moved we gotta make it happen. Do I always like it? NO however, there are only about three companies including the union guys that make more money than we make. Hell its better than being stuck at a truck stop in a sleeper unit 3000 miles from home with a dispatcher promising to get you a load back to the house after being out for 21 days.:GrowUp: I know I get upset with somethings from time to time but once i get on the road and by myself it s all good. Respect goes like this no one can walk on unless you lay down. i stand my ground on the issues that are important to me. they put there pants on the same way i put mine on. Read your little green book the government gave you if you know your stuff you can handle anything they throw at you.:1036316054:

Its amusing how people say its not as bad as OTR slave wage companies.

Yes, if you compare this company to that you are correct. But news flash for you, we are in a different class of drivers. So please stop sounding like a central dispatcher and compare apples to apples.

This is why when I see a guy come from Werner, JB Hunt or a immigrant from Benefit put on a Saia uniform I see the start of the downfall. Because no matter what the company does to them its ok since overall its better than where they came from. I'm happy for the improvement of thier employment.....But in the end it lowers the expectations you get from your employer and enables them to treat thier workforce a little more like OTR drivers.

well friday morning i arrived back into home terminal, went into the ivr and couldn't arrive had to wait on hold for dispatch for 10 minutes, then was instructed to turn charlotte. go out hook a van ( maybe 10 minutes) try to dispatch and still have a hold on my dispatch, after another 10 minutes i leave ( if i had not i would have run out of hrs) drive 11 miles down the road before dispatcher picks up the phone, then i was instructed that my dispatch had been canceled and i should not have left and to to go back home. why didn't the dispatcher just pick up the phone and call me or the terminal to cancel the dispatch, next time i guess i will get a motel 10 miles from home

Make THEM be held responsible. Stay put with them on the phone. Can you say "I'm still holding."

Yes, if you compare this company to that you are correct. But news flash for you, we are in a different class of drivers. So please stop sounding like a central dispatcher and compare apples to apples.

This is why when I see a guy come from Werner, JB Hunt or a immigrant from Benefit put on a Saia uniform I see the start of the downfall. Because no matter what the company does to them its ok since overall its better than where they came from. I'm happy for the improvement of thier employment.....But in the end it lowers the expectations you get from your employer and enables them to treat thier workforce a little more like OTR drivers.

WELL SPOKEN.

OK, you don't want to compare this company to an "OTR slave wage company", then what do you want to compare it to? What apples to apples? It will stand up pretty dang good to most other ltls.

I certainly understand that there are issues here, but where did you come from before Saia? What are you comparing them to? You must have had the greatest job ever.