ABF | How has been starting over at ABF been for you

You think that none of these guys on here that seem to know everything and anything work out of the Midwest? As far as going online they have never shown anyone being hired in my area(Oshkosh) other than casual in all the times I have checked it out in the last five years. That's OK, I am pretty happy at Holland, I just like keeping my knowledge of what's going on out there up to date in case I need it. Really hoping a bunch more guys jump ship or retire or get fired, keeps me moving up the seniority board, if you know what I mean!

Pos.......

Oh please, you don't want to move up on the board at your place? What's wrong with wanting to move up? I suppose it sounds cold when someone actually says it, but aren't most of us thinking the same thing?

Oh please, you don't want to move up on the board at your place? What's wrong with wanting to move up? I suppose it sounds cold when someone actually says it, but aren't most of us thinking the same thing?

I dont wish anyone to be fired so I can move up

I must be in the minority with yrc-atm. All I ever wanted was my turn and always felt that things would work their way out.

I dont wish anyone to be fired so I can move up

yrc-atm I am with you... I don't want to move up at somebody else expense. I want to move up the old fashion way and that is when guys retire when they are ready (not before from pressure) and gaining new business. I feel sorry for the guys that are wishing and wanting guys to get fired just so they move up on the seniority board!!!

I guess it`s about time I responded to this thread ,since I was the one who started it . After a lot of going back and forth for a while, I took a weeks vacation and went over and tryed it out at ABF. Everyone seemed pretty nice to work with and it seemed more layed back then YRC the problem I had was with the start time. Now I knew I would be bottom man and I would probably be on the call list but I really did`nt know I would be running a night line haul run being on the city list. I know they call it utility , but starting at 11:30 at night and making 2 turns to chicago each night seems like a line haul gig to me ,at least it was at YRC. I talked to one of the guys on it and he said they work about 12.5 to 13 hours a night so that would mean getting home somewhere around 1:00 pm which just wasn`t going to work with my home life and younger daughter at home. terminal manager said it would`nt be long that I would be on that, but I`m not so sure of that. There was 2 of those bids and the one guy who got off it was going on the 10% list so it could`nt of been all that great. So I`m back at YRC for now and I`ll continue to look for better opportunities.

I guess it`s about time I responded to this thread ,since I was the one who started it . After a lot of going back and forth for a while, I took a weeks vacation and went over and tryed it out at ABF. Everyone seemed pretty nice to work with and it seemed more layed back then YRC the problem I had was with the start time. Now I knew I would be bottom man and I would probably be on the call list but I really did`nt know I would be running a night line haul run being on the city list. I know they call it utility , but starting at 11:30 at night and making 2 turns to chicago each night seems like a line haul gig to me ,at least it was at YRC. I talked to one of the guys on it and he said they work about 12.5 to 13 hours a night so that would mean getting home somewhere around 1:00 pm which just wasn`t going to work with my home life and younger daughter at home. terminal manager said it would`nt be long that I would be on that, but I`m not so sure of that. There was 2 of those bids and the one guy who got off it was going on the 10% list so it could`nt of been all that great. So I`m back at YRC for now and I`ll continue to look for better opportunities.
Thanks for the update. Starting at 2330 would bite for me too and you never know how long you'll be on it, you were wise to realize that. Two turns to a break sounds like road work to me but we got sold out there. I believe the company saves about $20,000/year on every road man turned UE. Good luck wherever you end up. And I expect that not seeing a vacation for two+years didn't brighten it any for you.

Thanks for the update. Starting at 2330 would bite for me too and you never know how long you'll be on it, you were wise to realize that. Two turns to a break sounds like road work to me but we got sold out there. I believe the company saves about $20,000/year on every road man turned UE. Good luck wherever you end up. And I expect that not seeing a vacation for two+years didn't brighten it any for you.

Yes and the money was`nt the reason I did`nt stay, but they call it a UE run and they did`nt pay the extra dollar an hour ,I did`nt understand how that worked either.

Should have paid $.93/hr extra, we lost 7% across the board. If they're not paying it someone needs to take care of business there. But then if you were casual it might be different.

Should have paid $.93/hr extra, we lost 7% across the board. If they're not paying it someone needs to take care of business there. But then if you were casual it might be different.
Not sure about their supplement, but down here (Carolina) if you are on a UE bid all week you get the $.93 and if it is a four 10 hour bid you get OT after 10 hours. If you don't cover all the days you don't get the $.93, but you get OT after 8 hours.

UE is a utility employee. Most of them work nights starting early evening, working home dock, driving a couple or several hours to swap meet, working that dock with other UE's then driving back home. Often with stops at other terminals each way.

Those who do it love it. They come to work, do their jobs and nobody bothers them. Imagine such a thing.

I'm torn between ABF and FedEx Freight. I have offers from both. Road or City from ABF, and road from FedEx.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I had a interview at ABF a couple weeks ago now. It's for city. Idk if I want to go to abf

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yep I agree. I'm thinking about going to Saia when they have openings again. But I really want linehaul

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Only time and fate will answer what the right choice is- it has always been a crap shoot in this business. Good luck to both of you whichever way you turn. I do believe that ABF and Fedex will be around for the long haul. ABF has a contract, which prevents whimsical changes in pay and benefits. We have no health care copays for at least the next four years plus a large pension (not 401K) contribution. If I was making the choice I would choose ABF for the reasons stated above.

But keep in mind the vacation policy. No vacation for 2 years, then one week until 8 years of seniority.