SAIA | how is it to work for saia

depends on where you came from. If your last job was JB Hunt then you will love it at Saia. If your last job was Holland then you might be in for a surprise.

Good luck.

i'm gonna be starting a P&D local job for saia in markham illinois. any info would be helpful. thanks

Guess ya gotta do what you have to to survive.Personally,I am running away from any company with ties or senior management from Yellow or SCS.After what they did to Jevic,NO THANKS

Just don't be a day late on the dot physical

I was a day late in getting my dot physical renewed. The TM gave me the option of being terminated or resigning. I wondered why 5 new people was hired. I'd been with the company for 4 years and thought it was a great company up until then. Looks like they want short term drivers instead of long term.
Mavrickjubei

I was a day late in getting my dot physical renewed. The TM gave me the option of being terminated or resigning. I wondered why 5 new people was hired. I'd been with the company for 4 years and thought it was a great company up until then. Looks like they want short term drivers instead of long term.
Mavrickjubei

Theres another nail hit on the head. Newbies work for less than the experienced driver so the company SAVES money again. Saia doen not give a fat babies butt about the driver, just save us money. Look at GNC. Fired a man in November 07, hired the same man in 06/08, and riding his butt by the minute cause he does not know the route. He only worked 30 days in 07 before he was canned. Now they have him on a different run than in 07. He never even had time to learn the run in 07 and they canned him, now, they are playing that same old song. This poor guy is paranoid about his job. Can't even think straight. Makes the usual "new job mistakes", and is AFRAID to even speak to any co-workers in the presence of management. :chairshot:

Mavrickjubei

My city dispater tried to force me into geting my physical one day late. He set me up to come in early, make a long run, come back and take my everyday LONG run. I stood my ground and refused to come in early. When he threatened my job, out came the cell phone straight to HR. I did not back down when he got buddy buddy. I let the call go thru and set the record straight. He got over it real quick.

Mavrickjubei

Did you get a letter from corporate telling you when your physical expired? It has been my experience that we are notified well in advance by a letter from a corporate office wonk that the physical is expiring and needs to be taken care of.

You are out of service until the physical is renewed. As for the be fired or resign, I would go over his head on that one.

Mavrickjubei

I don't see that happening, unless there is more to the story than he's telling( if you know what I mean ).

i got my letter about a month before mine was due same with my licence physical took me about 45 min that i was on the clock if you dont get it done in time thats your own fault but its not right that they try to fire you over it sounds like the tm has it in for this guy.

i got my letter about a month before mine was due same with my license physical took me about 45 min that i was on the clock if you don't get it done in time thats your own fault but its not right that they try to fire you over it sounds like the tm has it in for this guy.

Seems like ******* has hit the nail on the head! It is up to YOU, the CDL driver to maintain his license and DOT. Do you need everyone to hold your hand or something?

Saia is about the same as everybody else, although I have heard that Con-Way, Old D, and USF have more rules and a stricter management style.

Just show up on-time, do your pre and post trips, deliver the freight, and go home. You will be rewarded with a job and a paycheck. Anything else you "think" you deserve is in your head.

Seems like ******* has hit the nail on the head! It is up to YOU, the CDL driver to maintain his license and DOT. Do you need everyone to hold your hand or something?

Saia is about the same as everybody else, although I have heard that Con-Way, Old D, and USF have more rules and a stricter management style.

Just show up on-time, do your pre and post trips, deliver the freight, and go home. You will be rewarded with a job and a paycheck. Anything else you "think" you deserve is in your head.
My thoughts, exactly. Right on.

Retired after a 25 year career in the LTL trucking arena both linehaul and city. Worked for several different outfits during that time, last was Saia. I would say (for myself at least), that Saia was the absolute worst company I ever turned a wheel for. I totally agree with the guys who posted about management , all they want is you to hurry, hurry , hurry, while not giving you time to do the job. As a city driver, they put you out on the street with a 53 foot trailer full of deliveries and start you at noon, expecting you to drive 100 miles to your first stop and get everything off before companies start closing their receiving doors at 3:00pm. Then they gripe cause you couldn't get all your deliveries made. In all fairness, I'm sure it isn't just Saia this way now-a-days, but I sure miss the days when trucking was a good way to make a living. Even though I retired and got out, my thoughts are with you guys out there keeping America rolling.

While doing some "paper work" it came to me. Working at Saia is like wiping your butt. Sooner or later you will get some crap on you.:hysterical: