Yellow | How it's done at your terminal?

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
We had a big todo today. Are the dock workers responsable for turning the placards on the trailers at your terminal? To me the supervisor should be the one going through the bills when the trailer is cut and then putting the correct placard on the trailer. I know the drivers get the haz mat bills when they get their loads and check for the proper placards.......right? In the past I have heard that if a supervisor has 3 "loading violations", meaning if they cut 3 loads from the dock with improper hazmat loaded, they would be "let go"?? Don't get me wrong, I want the right placard on the trailer....just wondering how much of it is my responsibility. How do you guys handle this at your terminal. I guess it's a bigger issue at "Break Bulks". DS.

We were told if you load a trailer that needs placards you must put them on.If you strip a trailer that had placards you must remove them.

D.O.T. regs state that plax must be put on or taken off at the time the freight is loaded or unloaded.

D.S I know the guys at 120 have been performing this task several yrs now. I don't believe anyone has been letter for wrong placarding. Also if your the last one loading to the trl you must closed it out, plastic and seal trl and set up for move. Oh yeah heres a good one for ya, We had teamsters play forman and run a area tell the men what to load to. Thats the day I said good bye to the dock!!!!! A teamster who stands on both side of the fence I lose ALL trust too.

Moparman said:
We were told if you load a trailer that needs placards you must put them on.If you strip a trailer that had placards you must remove them.

Out west here its the same for us at Yellow.

Jimmy B

ah the question that has plagued man for some time now..At denver it doesn't seem to be anybody's responsibility, they are never turned when you have hazmat, and usually if your trailers already have placards its because nobody turned them back when they emptied the trailer.....it used to be the responsibility of the dock forman in KC, then it was the dockworker and now who knows, they get really pissed when you go back to dipatch and get 25clicks for turning them yourself....I've heard @ Yellow's yard in KC that the hostler buggy's do it, when a move comes on the screen it has the hazmat info....

nobody said:
D.O.T. regs state that plax must be put on or taken off at the time the freight is loaded or unloaded.
I'm not an expert on this but think you will find that the d o t has no jurisdiction on placards untill it is pulled away from the dock. Local fire marshall may not like it tho. All my hazmat trainers have stated till then you can't mis-placard or have any loading violations i.e. food and poison, ect

wolf said:
I'm not an expert on this but think you will find that the d o t has no jurisdiction on placards untill it is pulled away from the dock. Local fire marshall may not like it tho. All my hazmat trainers have stated till then you can't mis-placard or have any loading violations i.e. food and poison, ect

Except as otherwise provided in this subchapter, each bulk packaging, freight container, unit load device, transport vehicle or rail car containing any quantity of a hazardous material must be placarded on each side and each end with the type of placards specified in Tables 1 and 2 of this section and in accordance with other placarding requirements of this subpart, including the specifications for the placards named in the tables and described in detail in §§ 172.519 through 172.560 .

http://www.myregs.com/dotrspa/

Docksteward said:
We had a big todo today. Are the dock workers responsable for turning the placards on the trailers at your terminal? To me the supervisor should be the one going through the bills when the trailer is cut and then putting the correct placard on the trailer. I know the drivers get the haz mat bills when they get their loads and check for the proper placards.......right? In the past I have heard that if a supervisor has 3 "loading violations", meaning if they cut 3 loads from the dock with improper hazmat loaded, they would be "let go"?? Don't get me wrong, I want the right placard on the trailer....just wondering how much of it is my responsibility. How do you guys handle this at your terminal. I guess it's a bigger issue at "Break Bulks". DS.
Wrong.Linehaul drivers no longer get haz mat bills.All we get is a piece of paper with what they are.Most of the time,we haveto ask about placards.Rdwy is in for big trouble.

At FXF the dock worker is responsible for fipping and unfliping placards. However if there is food, poision, hazmat, etc. our supervisor tells us or reminds us to do so. If there is a need for stickers (food or poison) he puts it with the manifest incase he misses us. With us it is like a triple check. The dock checks it, the super checks it, and then the driver checks it so it does't get left off or the wrong one flipped.

loner said:
Wrong.Linehaul drivers no longer get haz mat bills.All we get is a piece of paper with what they are.Most of the time,we haveto ask about placards.Rdwy is in for big trouble.

Yeah I AGREE!!! We just get a print out of the information. I have seen haz mat loaded on my trailer before and when dispatched the dispatcher said NO haz mat. I said I seen it loaded. Now what ya gonna do? I finally went into the trailer and got the bill and left. I had what I needed and placx my trailer my self... Cuz they aint gonna look out for me!!

we close the trailer then on special instructions on the new computer you type in what placards are needed then finish the close and flip the back placard only.
if it is a rail then you put the placards on the end .
when you strip it you change the back placard only. Chicago

The whole idea is that if something happens on the dock, and emergency responders are called, they know what is where. Pretty good idea if you asked me.

loner said:
I think I have seen the print outs you are talking about. Like was posted before.....the dock supervisor used to go through the bills and turn the rear placard. When they put the move into the computer for the switcher, he would say what kind it needed, if any. Now the dock worker goes through the bills and looks for haz mat, puts the bills in the rear of the trailer, pulls the door, closes it in the computer, makes the out move and then sends a message to the switcher of what kind of placard it needs. I need a raise!:tongue1: By the way, we no longer use manifests, so hazmat, food or volumes are no longer listed. Our bills aren't marked with tags anymore either to bring attention to hazmat, food etc. DS.

671CityBoy said:
Yeah I AGREE!!! We just get a print out of the information. I have seen haz mat loaded on my trailer before and when dispatched the dispatcher said NO haz mat. I said I seen it loaded. Now what ya gonna do? I finally went into the trailer and got the bill and left. I had what I needed and placx my trailer my self... Cuz they aint gonna look out for me!!
Hey 671CB........You know I let you know about the hazmat when I cut your loads!! Now I can't speak for "Bruno" :showoff: Just don't back under the trailer until he's ready!! DS.

Chicago Roadway said:
we close the trailer then on special instructions on the new computer you type in what placards are needed then finish the close and flip the back placard only.
Hey CR.......we put the placard info under "special instructions" in the move mode. There is a place for comments when you close load, but that doesn't show up on the switchers screen. Lots of dock guys were putting the placards info in the comments section, and they never got turned. Live and learn. :14: DS.

nobody said:
The whole idea is that if something happens on the dock, and emergency responders are called, they know what is where. Pretty good idea if you asked me.
I agree, nobody. If a fire or something else happend, a responder needs to know what's on a trailer and the others involved. DS.

Docksteward said:
Hey CR.......we put the placard info under "special instructions" in the move mode. There is a place for comments when you close load, but that doesn't show up on the switchers screen. Lots of dock guys were putting the placards info in the comments section, and they never got turned. Live and learn. :14: DS.
correct! sorry
i beleive they are checked before leaving by the drivers but we do whatever we can to make sure of the correct placard.:punk:

here at 120 land, if it ain't on by time us drivers go, we flip them, and charge the company .2 for our gracious services.