Yellow | How it's done at your terminal?

serta said:
here at 120 land, if it ain't on by time us drivers go, we flip them, and charge the company .2 for our gracious services.
Hey serta......that's the whole idea of the dock and switchers flipping the placards, cutting down on driver delay and delay pay!!:27: DS.

I saw a union/TMI agreement that said that city workers are responsible for flipping placards. That any RD do so, would be working out of classification. :shock:

Why all of a sudden.........

Hoosierky said:
I saw a union/TMI agreement that said that city workers are responsible for flipping placards. That any RD do so, would be working out of classification. :shock:
What makes this really interesting is that for the 12 or so years I've been at RDWY, now there's a problem........what the hell happened?? DS.

At 341 (St. Louis) were not combonation board,if that has anything to do with the fact we don't do any placards. Our hostlers (spotters ) do it!

Docksteward said:
What makes this really interesting is that for the 12 or so years I've been at RDWY, now there's a problem........what the hell happened?? DS.
Hay DS I think the problem all goes back to EEFB, IPI, Any team junk.... Management has given more of there responsibility to Teamsters. You have seen that in the last several years. When I came back to the W/B last November. I went to hook my first load and when a dock worker closed it blew my mind. I remember when the super done that. He also verified the bills and signed off on the manifest and took care of all the haz mat stuff to (not plax though). But when I was switching years ago before all the Teamsters Bosses and I was hooking for L/H when they gave us the hook they also told us the plax the unit needed. What I am saying is the last time I remember when there was any type of procedure about plax when the units were hooked up for the road the plax were turned by the switcher.. L/H swithcer that is.

Who has supervisors anymore? Walked up on our dock the other day, and there was one, sitting in the office. Just there to give out assignments.

Docksteward said:
We had a big todo today. Are the dock workers responsable for turning the placards on the trailers at your terminal? To me the supervisor should be the one going through the bills when the trailer is cut and then putting the correct placard on the trailer. I know the drivers get the haz mat bills when they get their loads and check for the proper placards.......right? In the past I have heard that if a supervisor has 3 "loading violations", meaning if they cut 3 loads from the dock with improper hazmat loaded, they would be "let go"?? Don't get me wrong, I want the right placard on the trailer....just wondering how much of it is my responsibility. How do you guys handle this at your terminal. I guess it's a bigger issue at "Break Bulks". DS.

it is a shared responsibility by all parties involved but it is the ultimate responsibility of the driver to make sure it is placarded correctly as it is he who will get the citation if it is wrong:22: :wacko:

fr8man said:
At 341 (St. Louis) were not combonation board,if that has anything to do with the fact we don't do any placards. Our hostlers (spotters ) do it!
Welcome to the boards, fr8man!! :thumbsup: DS.

big steve said:
it is a shared responsibility by all parties involved but it is the ultimate responsibility of the driver to make sure it is placarded correctly as it is he who will get the citation if it is wrong:22: :wacko:
B.S.! It is managements job to make sure the placs are right. If I find a unit placarded wrong I make managment go out and change it.
Talk about passing the buck!
If I have to do managements work then I want more money dammit!

what I have seen happen

metroman said:
B.S.! It is managements job to make sure the placs are right. If I find a unit placarded wrong I make managment go out and change it.

This is what I have seen happen at R-69.... is A Road Driver would come back in to the dispatch and let them know that the trailer has the wrong plax (based on there paperwork) then relay tried to send a message to a switcher to correct it and or ask the driver if he would turn them and " I will pay you" is what the relay manager said.

:ranting:
metroman said:

like i said it is a shared responsibility
it's managements job and they are required to inform you what you are hauling but like i stated it is up to you to get it right as you are driving the unit, not them

placarded wrong / not at all with haz-mat and pulled over by a trooper! you tell him to give the ticket to the supervisor who you claim is responsible and he will do this:hysterical: :roll1:

in addition try to grieve it if it happens and i'm sure you will be told that you are the last line of defense in the chain and as a professional you should know the rules
the only exception would be if you were never notified or had no paperwork showing placard required haz-mat was in the loads. then you cannot be held accountable and the company would be responsible and have to cover you in the advent of any penalties you might face as a result of the negligence
you may still get a ticket as the driver but the company would be responsible for it

same goes for HOS violations as it is a shared responsibility
they cannot knowingly dispatch you by law if you do not have the hours available and you cannot operate a CMV if that limit is reached / occurs
the responsibility falls on both parties
don't believe me read the FMCSR::ontopic:
you are ultimately the captain of your ship :

True
I do my job and shove it back in Managements face when they F#$% UP!
But it seems to me that Management is trying to pass the buck on this one! And just because I do my job is no damn reason that they can't do theirs!
As for HOS? How mant times at 120 did I have 20 hours picking up two zero's and have to listen to Managements SH$% about why I can't make Winston, Cincy or some other long *** trip?
It's crap as far as I'm concerned! Just another excuese for Management NOT to do thrie job!
Think I'm Bull$%Itting? Ask then how many PLV's (Prohivited loading violations) they get before they (Management) get's fired?
It's just like 135 ordering their Jockeys not to check out units they hook just to put them on the ready line. Another line of Safety (a word that means NOTHING at Roadway) droped in the name of production/money. But guess what? I still have to deal with some azzhole shop forman's dirty looks and attitude when I return a unit to get repaired.
So tell me again why management thinks this is ok?

Yes

metroman said:
True
But it seems to me that Management is trying to pass the buck on this one! And just because I do my job is no damn reason that they can't do theirs!
As for HOS? How mant times at 120 did I have 20 hours picking up two zero's and have to listen to Managements SH$% about why I can't make Winston, Cincy or some other long *** trip?
It's crap as far as I'm concerned! Just another excuese for Management NOT to do thrie job!
Think I'm Bull$%Itting? Ask then how many PLV's (Prohivited loading violations) they get before they (Management) get's fired?
It's just like 135 ordering their Jockeys not to check out units they hook just to put them on the ready line. Another line of Safety (a word that means NOTHING at Roadway) droped in the name of production/money. But guess what? I still have to deal with some azzhole shop forman's dirty looks and attitude when I return a unit to get repaired.
I totally agree with you metroman. I feel you anger and pain with the Company........But you let something happen and you bet your sweet :censored2: they will let you knnow real fast what you job is. I mean absolute job. There is nothing absolute with Management now.

metroman said:
True
i agree with you totally when it comes to the companies trying to put more :shit:ttttt on us to do
problem is we allow it on our jobs and until we don't do it for them they will continue to dump on us
but the law is the law no matter whose job it is and since you are the one in the law's face at that particular moment , you be the one brother:red_bandana: :wacko:

Stop the BS!!

Here's how I feel about this problem. Every trailer that is closed at the dock needs to have the supervisor go through the bills and tell the dock worker what placard needs to be on the rear of the trailer. Then the message needs to be relayed to the switcher to flip the rest of them. Just like it has been done for the past 12 years I have been at RDWY. I think if we are to do supervisiors work we need more $$ per hour, that's it. Just like the slogan..."Do you want to pay us now or later"? It needs to be taken care of before the driver does his PTI and goes through his HazMat print out. If it gets overlooked somewhere along the line, pay the driver to flip the placards. Is it really that complicated?? DS.

info

Docksteward said:
Here's how I feel about this problem. Every trailer that is closed at the dock needs to have the supervisor go through the bills and tell the dock worker what placard needs to be on the rear of the trailer. Then the message needs to be relayed to the switcher to flip the rest of them. Just like it has been done for the past 12 years I have been at RDWY. I think if we are to do supervisiors work we need more $$ per hour, that's it. Just like the slogan..."Do you want to pay us now or later"? It needs to be taken care of before the driver does his PTI and goes through his HazMat print out. If it gets overlooked somewhere along the line, pay the driver to flip the placards. Is it really that complicated?? DS.
DS I seen a rueling on this in the realy today. I will get it and tell some of it here. But what I read is local cartige employees will flip them but when the driver gets dispatched and the plax are wrong he dont get paid to do it and dont get delay time.

Yea, the guy I was standing beside of when you were taking pictures in the yard said something about that. What I gather it was out of Wisconsin. We may have to grieve it to get our own local decision. DS.

dunno

Docksteward said:
Yea, the guy I was standing beside of when you were taking pictures in the yard said something about that. What I gather it was out of Wisconsin. We may have to grieve it to get our own local decision. DS.
To my understanding when it has been grieved and been to a committee that is the ruling everywhere??

Docksteward said:
AMEN!!!!!!!