Holland | How long do we have

How many of us are aware that Holland handles over 30% of all the freight in the midwest? Ok, that doesn't sound like that much, but that leaves about how many other carriers to handle the rest. The economy sucks, and most of us came from some other carrier that went in the crapper. Do I trust all of the guys that are running this place? No, but we need our jobs. Whining ain't helping, so let's do constructive things.

This is very true, and is why we cannot just roll over and die. The only way that we will survive is if we are still viable to YRCW. If we put our tails between our legs now, we can rest assured that we will not be around long. We need to put up a fight and do what we can to survive.

How are we going to remain viable to YRCW when they are the ones cutting our legs out from under us with unfair restrictions in rate pricing controlled by corporate sales. You see I had a friend on the sales team that left a while ago because he/she saw the writing on the wall when he/she was told that he/she was not able to underbid Yellow. Also, when I was in the city I had a customer tell me that corporate sales told them that a regular shipment was not to be put on Holland (which serviced that point next day) but, had to be shipped Yellow (which serviced the point in 2-3 days depending on how the did with service). Now that frieght is on a non-union carrier. How does decisions like that benefit our company? We are paying Yellows fuel and maintainence bills in some locations, how are we supposed to operate in the black with that going on? And don't get me started on the consultation fee that USF Holland is paying Yellow, I wish I could get paid to drive a company into the ground.
So I ask you, "How do we put up a fight when we have our hands tied, and their hands in our back pockets?" I look forward to reading more of your wisdom.

We stuck our tails between our legs voting that contract in. We could have done alot better.
Some of you guys said you voted it in to save our jobs. Correct me if I am wrong. But, I believe ther are alot of guys losing their jobs now.
Guys seniority is going to get abused. 2.20 Over the next 5 yrs. That is a smack in the face. They are saying gas will be over 4.00 A gallon by summer. Our BA said it would be new freight the UE driver would be handling. Now it is any and all freight I guess.. Who knows?
Over time 4 hr casuals will probably take all the dock bid. or should I say there will not be any dock bids.

I'm sure the BIG announcement will be alot of coo's going on at ALL the YRC companies.....to work in the UE's. Our regional VP Tom H. told us thurs. that we are paying YRC 500,000 a week in fee's for operational cost's. He also said things are not as bad as they might seem and we are just getting back to basics. The economy is hard on every trucking outfit. Of course, all the other companies that shut down would tell you how great they were doing till the day they closed.

>all the give backs and losses<
PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT ALL THE GIVEBACKS! I'd really like to hear about them! You must think this is 1980 on the streets out there. You better get this straight-WE DON'T OWN THE FREIGHT ANYMORE. So just because Grizz or anyone else has anything decent to say about Holland he's some kind of a Benedict Arnold. God forbid anybody say something decent about the company they work for. The way I remember it was me begging Holland for a job not the otherway around. I just love you guys (MY BROTHERS) say anything pro-company or optimistic and suddenly you don't count. ( Just calling it like I see it BROTHER )

just calling it as i see it. all you did by voting yes is weaken are already shakey union whats next. all the give backs and losses.let me guess in 5yrs you will be the first one to agree that maybe we should pay for all our health benifits.its really all thats left. as far as breakfast.i would much rather sit with the people who built our great union then listen to the ones like yourself.at least they would order what theywanted not just settle for what they brought.
CornF in my opinion, its not our soul purpose to turn this union around. I voted in, what I thought were competent men to run our union. As in most cases, the negative posts are mainly from new hires or 1-3 year men. For your info CornF, I'm in my 19th yr at Holland- 30 in all. As most HMES employees it kills me to see the mismanagement going on at our barn. Thats probably where you since my loyalty more toward Holland, than others do. As far as the H&W, I really thought we would have had to pay this contract, so to answer your question(yes), if it would give me 5 more years of employment. CornF I'm really sorry you speak so lowly of a man that gives a good days work for a good days pay.(Hey that sounds old school). Joking. Just calling it as I see it GRIZZ

Grizz I would not let this get under my skin one bit. Everybody has the CHOICE to vote as he see's fit, Just like in politics. And there most have been a LOT MORE that voted YES to for the contract to pass.

And you are right all we can do is give a good days work for a good days pay. And maybe stop being so negative.

Myself I am sick of listen to these road drivers at the Hotels and in the Vans bad mouthing every thing. I believe the van drivers and the hotel people are sick of it to.( at least I would be). If life is so damm bad and Holland, YRCW and the Union are so evil why do they continue to work here!!!

well lets see,how about the use of 4hr 14.00 casuals,the same reason we walked in 1994.or how about putting our frieght (of let me rephrase that) the companys freight on non-union carriers trailers. or how about the never ending forced overtime.seems to me those are enough reasons.this should not have flown.maybe it's me although i know others who feel the same way. hey grizz,i too need less than 5 yrs.to go but as you read, this contract won't effect me that much it just saddens me to see what s going to be left for others. you know brotherhood. ring a bell. please don't take it personally i know what year it is superstar.in 26yrs you really see alot of things.my comments are genuine,and i can back them up if i did not care for the company which I CHOOSE to work for, thats right I CHOOSE. ALL UNION CARRIERS ALL STARTING 1WEEK AFTER CF CLOSING. i would be bragging about my 6000.00 monthly check not the future of our unions existence.

CornF there is no doubt your thinking is whats best for the union. I to believe this was a pos contract. But where we differ is I'm willing to take what we have and make the best of it. 14.00 dollar casuals suck, but it works for UPs. Overtime, that really sucks making 33.00 an hour. Non union frt haulers really doesn't effect Holland, except for the W coast stuff. CF this is not personal to me, I enjoy the talk. I don't mean anything against any X- CFer's, because I work with several, but the Holland mentality (toward HMES) compared to CF's is as different as day and night. I don't understand the next to last sentence, but I did understand 6000.00. Thats awesome and something we'll never see in the southern conf.

Why are yall beating each other up!YRCW is doing what they do best tearing good companies down.It's not any of our faults what $bill and co is doing to the USF companies.Their are too many people out their that are worried about me and not about the whole,and trying to put the blame on each other instead the one's that caused it.:1036316054:

grizz ,nothing wrong with 33.00 hr its the 4-5hrs forced over every day with no choice while laid off employees and casuals not being used. thats the stuff we need to change I AM not ungratful for the money i get i just think 18-20plus hrs in 5 punches is out of line dont you think so