Holland | How long do we have

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyones views.

When and if they ever close the doors, and no one here will know in advance (CF), that's when we should deal with it.
What point is there bringing moral down further here and cyber-burying ourselves while trailers are still rolling? ("How long do we have" is the thread header)

This thread has USF dead and buried.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyones views.

When and if they ever close the doors, and no one here will know in advance (CF), that's when we should deal with it.
What point is there bringing moral down further here and cyber-burying ourselves while trailers are still rolling? ("How long do we have" is the thread header)

This thread has USF dead and buried.

Hey Loon, it might have been better if there were a question mark at the end of "How Long Do We Have". But the thread has had both people who think we are going to be around for a while and those who think we will be gone soon.
As long as both positions have a chance to post, there should be no problem.
When someone says, "Holland is doomed!" and does not allow discussion or argument from a different perspective, then a thread is wrong and should be deleted.
Thanks for taking time to join the discussion Loon, and lets keep it going.

"How long do you guys think we have. I say some of us may have a year. Alot of us will be laid off before they shut the doors completly.
I certainly hope I am wrong. But, Its not looking good."

The above is the original question of the first post. I do see a lot of ideas in this thread as to operational errors and some possible remedies for them. I also see some bickering.
Maybe this thread has gone off the intended topic and should be renamed or replaced with perhaps ... " What are your ideas to improve inbound and outbound procedures?" or "What do you feel are inbound/outbound obstacles?" ???
Also, these ideas need to be sent to USF and not sit here in cyber space unseen. We have never been asked what our thoughts are about improving USF operations. We have all recieved the open invitation via letter from USF to do so. Take advantage of it because most companies NEVER ask for suggestions outside management. I give Mr. Sullivan credit as it seems he is trying to bring the "Holland Culture" back and address the "buck passing". This company has had record growth in the past and is capable of it again. It has also endured very tough economic conditions not unlike what we have now.

My coworker grabbed a Truckinboards card from our bulletin board last week. This morning he mentioned going to the website and saw the thread header of "How Long Do We Have" at the top of the list on his first visit to this site. He wont revisit this site after that first impression. He didn't even bother visiting the thread. He, like me, is a "Half Full Trailer" thinker not a "Half Empty trailer".

Postive thinking is hard to spread about and requires work to do so.
Negative thinking spreads like wildfire and is easy to introduce.

Face it Holland is down sizeing some of us have lost our jobs thats life ,jobs come and go.We may get our jobs back we may not.Most of us have our health and a family and thats worth a whole lot. I liked working for Holland but I won't put my life on hold for them, If something comes around better, good ,if not ,I'll keep on pluging at it.Even If Holland shuts the doors somebody will have to haul the freight. No disrespect to the yellow guys but alot of shippers do not like yellows service and some don't like Hollands that's just preferance. Employees do have a right to be negative because they are watching another great freightline going down hill. But just remember if you can still b!tch about your job ,that means your still have a job. Things are tight everywhere look at some of the other company forums. :redneck::smillie_flag:

Good discussion by all. Yes I am a salaried person. One who has the utmost of respect for those who actually earn my paycheck. Everyone of us is actually in this together-to make our livilihood survive. together we will. Separately we won't. Almost every one of us came from some carrier that went belly up. I for one, don;t want this one to. Keep up your great work

I remember when yellow bought holland that holland's "bread and butter" was mostly automotive freight. I also remember just after yellow bought holland that the auto industry went bad. It was no surprise holland lost freight was it?

"How long do you guys think we have. I say some of us may have a year. Alot of us will be laid off before they shut the doors completly.

The above is the original question of the first post. I do see a lot of ideas in this thread as to operational errors and some possible remedies for them. I also see some bickering.
Maybe this thread has gone off the intended topic and should be renamed or replaced with perhaps ... " What are your ideas to improve inbound and outbound procedures?" or "What do you feel are inbound/outbound obstacles?" ???
Also, these ideas need to be sent to USF and not sit here in cyber space unseen. We have never been asked what our thoughts are about improving USF operations. We have all recieved the open invitation via letter from USF to do so. Take advantage of it because most companies NEVER ask for suggestions outside management. I give Mr. Sullivan credit as it seems he is trying to bring the "Holland Culture" back and address the "buck passing". This company has had record growth in the past and is capable of it again. It has also endured very tough economic conditions not unlike what we have now.

My coworker grabbed a Truckinboards card from our bulletin board last week. This morning he mentioned going to the website and saw the thread header of "How Long Do We Have" at the top of the list on his first visit to this site. He wont revisit this site after that first impression. He didn't even bother visiting the thread. He, like me, is a "Half Full Trailer" thinker not a "Half Empty trailer".

Loon, Why do you not start your own thread the way you may want it to appear... That is exactly what I did... The question was on my mind... I ask... I got some good and bad responses...Some even made me think a little differantly...I thought that this was what it was all about...You have a problem and these guys will give you other ways of looking at it..

As far as your coworker goes. If he is that narrow minded than maybe he should try some other type of forum.

We are all drivers. We have good days and we have bad ones. We should be able to talk about our good days and our bad ones on this site without people like yourself getting on here trying to tell us what we should or should not talk about.

If I dont like a thread. I dont click on it. Maybe you should try that.
Have a good day

The way BUFFALO mixes the PH, AL, and WB freight maybe someone should QUIT. Real nice to be out all week to get hooked on this load only to find that you have to put at least an hour at each terminal to straighten out what was loaded on the outbound docks
in BUFFALO. That PRIDE in your work don't just F##K up the ones tring to get home for a few hours.:chairshot::nutkick:

Nah, they would never do that. Many times I came out of BU headed to WB, AL and PH and the PH was on the tail. I think there map is upside down..........

LOON I have put up suggestions to the effect of operations please take a moment to review , I also posted suggestions in the suggestion thread.. I have not seen many other suggestions their the one about clutches was great we need more in their and we do know that management looks here to so maybe this might be a good way for you and others to get a workable plan together that we all can agree on to submit if we go at it half a*# it wont be taken serious.

As for the half full half empty view that is great we all want to be positive but when we see negatives occur they should be addressed we do it on the personal level at our barns but you want to keep in mind this is a forum that allows the big picture throughout the system and this was a good thread starter look at the number of submitted reply's.

Ax I for one welcome you to this discussion it gives a point of view that might give all of the discussion and discontent a avenue to the people that might be able to rectify the problems that this company has been facing over the last 5-10 yrs.

About two years ago, a group of us had a conversation with our TM about the 10% of our drivers that he favors all of the time. We gave him examples of the lost time and money that our terminal suffers because of this favortism. We don't have bid runs, just bid start times. The favortism that this 10% have come to expect, delays the dock operation in the am, waiting for them to dig out the frt. for their favorite run. He agreed that this favortism needed to stop. We explained that he has 10% of the crew happy because of the favortism they get. The 90% are ticked off at the waste of time and money, just to keep them happy. And that it would make more sense to keep the 90% happy by doing the right thing. He currentlly has changed NOTHING. I, personally think that 90% of my crew on my side would help my numbers, more than 10%. When employees see that favortism trumps the companies bottom line, they give up on the bottom line. I hope that all terminals are not like this. But, I bet most are. When the bottom line becomes the priority, and not favortism, I think that all employees will fall in line behind the leader. So, the question remains........"How long do we have?"

About two years ago, a group of us had a conversation with our TM about the 10% of our drivers that he favors all of the time. We gave him examples of the lost time and money that our terminal suffers because of this favoritism. We don't have bid runs, just bid start times. The favoritism that this 10% have come to expect, delays the dock operation in the am, waiting for them to dig out the frt. for their favorite run. He agreed that this favoritism needed to stop. We explained that he has 10% of the crew happy because of the favoritism they get. The 90% are ticked off at the waste of time and money, just to keep them happy. And that it would make more sense to keep the 90% happy by doing the right thing. He currently has changed NOTHING. I, personally think that 90% of my crew on my side would help my numbers, more than 10%. When employees see that favoritism trumps the companies bottom line, they give up on the bottom line. I hope that all terminals are not like this. But, I bet most are. When the bottom line becomes the priority, and not favoritism, I think that all employees will fall in line behind the leader.

So true Flash we have those at our Term to it is discouraging to see someone sit who might start a shift or two before you while you are getting a load.

So true Flash we have those at our Term to it is discouraging to see someone sit who might start a shift or two before you while you are getting a load.
We do force them to clear each shift before dispatching the next shift. But they have no problem with delaying all shifts, just to get these guys their favorite load. Doesn't help morale any! What kind of message does this send to the 90%?:nutkick:

Loon let's have a open minded point of view on this , your coworker said he wont come back to visit and exercise his freedom of speech , and voice HIS OPINION , that is just plain ignorant of him when he has a open forum to express his grievances and we all have them look around at other company's for examples. You might want to encourage him to come on and give counter views , just ask any former Eastern European on your run today what they think about the suppression of differing view point's.
That and I know for a fact that you guys in McCook still bring up the discussion of the decision by management to realigned your service area IE: the suburbs to the south that takes Joliet 1 hour of stem time to just get on site compared to 20-25 minutes for you guys ANIXTER ring a bell, Joliet could not service it properly and it could be lost to us.
Also this forum gives you the ability to see what is going on with the road drivers and city in other parts of the country.
Open unbiased Debate with differing View points is healthy for all . WE ALL WANT TO BE POSITIVE BUT UNFORTUNATELY YOU CAN NOT BE POSITIVE ALL THE TIME. And I agree more participation on suggestions will only benefit the company as a whole so we have a chance to come together and work on a viable proposal together.

We do force them to clear each shift before dispatching the next shift. But they have no problem with delaying all shifts, just to get these guys their favorite load. Doesn't help morale any! What kind of message does this send to the 90%?:nutkick:

Flash it sends a negative message plain and simple:mad:

The TM in WB has his 2 teams the A TEAM and the b team. A team has assigned trucks and city runs, while the b team get the trash. This is so good for the morale that it is hard to believe that the work gets done. He bases the manpower of the inbound bills that he is dispatching and leaves drivers home so that the outbound sits on 3-4 loads every night while he sits home thinking of what a great job he's doing. Can see why there is such a division in the manpower could bring any morale in the men.:chairshot::nutkick:

About two years ago, a group of us had a conversation with our TM about the 10% of our drivers that he favors all of the time. We gave him examples of the lost time and money that our terminal suffers because of this favortism. We don't have bid runs, just bid start times. The favortism that this 10% have come to expect, delays the dock operation in the am, waiting for them to dig out the frt. for their favorite run. He agreed that this favortism needed to stop. We explained that he has 10% of the crew happy because of the favortism they get. The 90% are ticked off at the waste of time and money, just to keep them happy. And that it would make more sense to keep the 90% happy by doing the right thing. He currentlly has changed NOTHING. I, personally think that 90% of my crew on my side would help my numbers, more than 10%. When employees see that favortism trumps the companies bottom line, they give up on the bottom line. I hope that all terminals are not like this. But, I bet most are. When the bottom line becomes the priority, and not favortism, I think that all employees will fall in line behind the leader. So, the question remains........"How long do we have?"

Northern Flash, I guess this happens at every terminal. I just wonder. Do you blame management. Or should we blame our teamster brothers. We have guys that run around trying to climb up managers butts and then they will come and talk to us like they are on our side. It does no good to say anything to them. We just make fun of them after they walk away. I guess they think you are blind.
YOU CANT PLAY ON BOTH SIDES.

Northern Flash, I guess this happens at every terminal. I just wonder. Do you blame management. Or should we blame our teamster brothers. We have guys that run around trying to climb up managers butts and then they will come and talk to us like they are on our side. It does no good to say anything to them. We just make fun of them after they walk away. I guess they think you are blind.
YOU CANT PLAY ON BOTH SIDES.

:butt kiss: Same in LO too

a lot of us came from failed companys this is not one of them ok do your job and quit worrying there is nuthing you can do but work if it happens it happens but posting stuff for the competters is not a good way of staying alive Yellow but my last company away by this stuid talk so dont feed your enemy

Not going to happen!

a lot of us came from failed companys this is not one of them ok do your job and quit worrying there is nuthing you can do but work if it happens it happens but posting stuff for the competters is not a good way of staying alive Yellow but my last company away by this stuid talk so dont feed your enemy
You are entiled to your opinion...But I'm entitled to mine also. You can bury your head in the sand if you would like to. I do my job everyday.(in fact I do it quite well, thank you) But I won't quit worrying about it, it's my future that they are throwing away. Is that what put your last company out? Just the "stupid talk". Or was it poor management? HHHHMMMMM. And I'm sure our enemy has the same issues of favortism at some of their barns. I seem to have struck a nerve with you. could you be one that receives this type of costly favortism that I spoke of?:Poke: