XPO | How long is your day , typically?

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
First , let me say I'm not complaining - I like my job.

I'm curious how many hours other drivers work , on average. I'm P&D and have been for some time. No matter if we're busy or slow , I have averaged about ten hours a day for years. It goes up at the end of the quarter and deer season.

I've read that cutting hours has happened because of LEAN , dockworkers , lane optimization , and other reasons.

Your thoughts? Please and thank you.

First , let me say I'm not complaining - I like my job.

I'm curious how many hours other drivers work , on average. I'm P&D and have been for some time. No matter if we're busy or slow , I have averaged about ten hours a day for years. It goes up at the end of the quarter and deer season.

I've read that cutting hours has happened because of LEAN , dockworkers , lane optimization , and other reasons.

Your thoughts? Please and thank you.
That would depend on several things at our terminal, your wants or how good of a brown noser you are!

I guess I should add , that I'm not a part of the LEAN TEAM , and I don't ask for , or even want extra hours. I spend about half of my time on the dock and half in the city.

Also in the city. I work 9-12 for 52-58 hours a week. I do my part. I am not the guy running for the door. Simply being willing to work and not dumping your ::shit:: on someone else or ditching as quickly as possible will earn you a fantastic amount of respect with your co workers. That said. 50 feels a lot better than 60 hours does. If I wanted to max my hours every week I would bid the road.

Most of our city drivers don't work more then 45. The ones that do have a run that dictates more time due to distance from the terminal or close time for pick-ups when only one driver runs that area. It is very rare for our city guys to work the dock, unless their run is not ready when they come in. Our outbound is all dock workers, maybe one or two flex guys trying to get their eight.

Most of our city drivers don't work more then 45. The ones that do have a run that dictates more time due to distance from the terminal or close time for pick-ups when only one driver runs that area. It is very rare for our city guys to work the dock, unless their run is not ready when they come in. Our outbound is all dock workers, maybe one or two flex guys trying to get their eight.
Wow. All dockworkers? Has it always been that way? Does it help as far as drivers are concerned? ( I'm curious are drivers happy with this? )
Also , is this the norm? ( as far as outbound being all dockworkers )

For the record my terminal has about a dozen forklifts and only 2 full-time and 1 part-time dockworkers. All on outbound. Dark terminal. Class 2. We are an X-- terminal.

Last edited:
Wow. All dockworkers? Has it always been that way? Does it help as far as drivers are concerned? ( I'm curious are drivers happy with this? )
Also , is this the norm? ( as far as outbound being all dockworkers )

For the record my terminal has about a dozen forklifts and only 2 full-time and 1 part-time dockworkers. All on outbound. Dark terminal. Class 2. We are an X-- terminal.

We started with a few part timers maybe eight years ago. Then temps, followed by part time dock workers employed by con-way. Now, all but one of our dock workers are full time, uniforms, benefits etc. These changes have happened in the last two years. This year, we have three drivers working the inbound, five or so dock workers. The only reason the drivers are there are do an occasional volume run or set up the yard.

Most drivers do not like dockworkers replacing them (or the quality of their work), but those drivers that want to work eight are ok with them.
We are a class 2 running a small night time FAC with 12-15 drivers a night.

Night linehaul, 12.5-14 hours a night. My city guys have had their overtime cut back to minimal. Early start guys get about an hour a day OT. We had two city guys that made 90 k two years in a row from all the OT, that has changed this year!

At the time of the accident my driver worked 13 1/2-14 hours Mon-Thurs, 16 on Fri almost consistently when he worked the 13 1/2 during the week. Every week. So all of that would equal 70 hours every week. The driver now doing his run is still on this schedule. His SC is on LEAN now, just starting LEAN when he worked his last day 9/25/13.

Didn't matter how long the day, the week ended at 49.75-49.95 hours a week for me in the city. Overtime at 50 was a bitch.
I've always wondered - do drivers in the southern region work more hours simply because they get paid less? Do they hire less dockworkers because it's cheaper to work drivers longer?

I've always wondered - do drivers in the southern region work more hours simply because they get paid less? Do they hire less dockworkers because it's cheaper to work drivers longer?

They hire in line to keep you right at 49.95 hours a week. I can count on one hand the number of times I got overtime and every one of them was because I was covering outbound hostler position to close and inbound setup following running in the city.

Our city drivers hours have been cut to 0 overtime since Lean started at our place. No overtime for the past 4 months. They've hired so many extra drivers and dock workers to cut OT. Our peddle drivers go out with 4 to 8 stops a day, where it used to be twice that amount. We used to have to work hard for this company, now we have to work hard to get 8 hours. And by working hard.........well you know what I mean.. Drivers cant believe how this company is running this place. We have our later starting drivers getting back way before their 8 hours are up, and their standing around on the docks doing nothing cause all the dock workers have the forktrucks. Ive never seen the waste of man power thats going now. They send extra drivers into peddle areas that used to be done by one driver. Instead of paying one driver a couple hours overtime to get his area covered, they send more drivers to help him, paying the drvier, the fuel , wear and tear on the truck, driver benefits.. How does the company make more money like this? Profits are way off, Lean is killing this company. Come bid time, its gonna be a mad exodus to Linehaul for the city drviers.
Please Conway, get us more signs!

I'm the original poster on this thread and invite those from other companies to post how long their day is.
Some of your Con-way brothers and sisters may be looking for information about what their next job may be like.

Our city drivers hours have been cut to 0 overtime since Lean started at our place. No overtime for the past 4 months. They've hired so many extra drivers and dock workers to cut OT. Our peddle drivers go out with 4 to 8 stops a day, where it used to be twice that amount. We used to have to work hard for this company, now we have to work hard to get 8 hours. And by working hard.........well you know what I mean.. Drivers cant believe how this company is running this place. We have our later starting drivers getting back way before their 8 hours are up, and their standing around on the docks doing nothing cause all the dock workers have the forktrucks. Ive never seen the waste of man power thats going now. They send extra drivers into peddle areas that used to be done by one driver. Instead of paying one driver a couple hours overtime to get his area covered, they send more drivers to help him, paying the drvier, the fuel , wear and tear on the truck, driver benefits.. How does the company make more money like this? Profits are way off, Lean is killing this company. Come bid time, its gonna be a mad exodus to Linehaul for the city drviers.
Please Conway, get us more signs!
Jeez, monkey...I wish ABF would take on this philosophy. We're bustin' our onions! Working 11-13 hour days, and collapsing when we get home!

At R&L, I am pretty much guaranteed a 50 hr work week, usually 52 to 54hrs. Your right, a lot cheaper to pay a few extra hrs to five drivers than to pay for eight drivers with all the included costs.

Last edited:
If I was told I didn't have to work the dock after my run anymore, I'd be so giddy I would burst into tears.. I seriously hope this makes it to my barn..

If I was told I didn't have to work the dock after my run anymore, I'd be so giddy I would burst into tears.. I seriously hope this makes it to my barn..
Though I now run linehaul, I remember starting at 10:30, doing my pedal run, working the outbound, then gang stripping a van for the FAC before going home around 9 or 10. Those days are over, some who like the overtime miss it! I could take it or leave it, my kids were younger and sleeping by 8:00 so it didn't matter what time I got home.